Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2005   #1
2much

2much will become famous soon enough2much will become famous soon enough
Google Cache Problems - Penalty?

I've been noticing that a lot of sites that have recently dropped from the SERP's are not cached in Google. None of those sites have purposely applied no-cache tags, disallows, robots.txt or anything.

I'm almost 100% certain it indicates penalties.

Does anybody know why? Or how this works?
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #2
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
I've seen a number of pages without an apparent cache, but put that down to an incomplete index on Google's part.

Do a search for "web design" and check if the top result has a recent cache. So far as I can tell, htmlhelp.com has none, despite the intense competition for the keyphrase.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #3
Bernard
www.measuring-up.com

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point
The answer *may* not have anything to do with Google. Much like GoDaddy's problems with Google (which were resolved), the web host Valueweb appears to have been blocking Googlebot. My sites (hosted by ValueWeb) are currently headed to supplemental results purgatory right now.

I'm not sure how many sites they host, but I would not be surprised to learn that a significant number of these reports of sites dissappearing from the SERPs are hosted by them.
Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #4
2much

No, every one of these sites has dropped from the SERP's (rankings) as soon as they lose their cache links. They're hosted on totally different servers, and I've seen this with a few different sites/ people. There's something else going on here.
Old 03-10-2005   #5
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
2much, Google still isn't settled from its February update. In some areas it still looks something of a mess.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #6
2much

This has been happening prior to Allegra.
Old 03-10-2005   #7
scubamiamijared

scubamiamijared is on a distinguished road
Valueweb

I am also a Valueweb customer and have several client accounts with them and this has happened to every site I have hosted with them. I talked to a tech rep and they admitted that there was a problem last night and trying to fix this. If anyone is a Valueweb customer and having the same problem I would suggest calling them and complaining.

I know my company is going to suffer drastically from this.

ScubaJared

Last edited by scubamiamijared : 03-10-2005 at 06:41 PM. Reason: missing word
scubamiamijared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #8
krisval

krisval has a spectacular aura aboutkrisval has a spectacular aura aboutkrisval has a spectacular aura about
Unless you know you are doing something wrong, wait and see.

I am having this issue. I launched a new site last month and submitted to directories. Within a few days, the home page was cached, then dropped the following week. The week after that, all pages were cached and remained that way for the remainder of the month until last week and all sub-pages lost their cache. I think the pages will reappear in the cache when Google finally resolves their multi-data sets. Before anyone jumps on this with explanations. This iste has loads of text and great content and no duplicate content at all. I am optimistic that this is a short term situation.
krisval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #9
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Disallowing the cache doesn't attract penalties, and it hasn't changed recently. I've been disallowing it for years, because I object to it, and I've enjoyed many top rankings, and other ranking have been improving recently.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #10
2much

Perhaps I'm not explaining my question clearly?

These sites that I've seen. They're not disallowing Google. They don't have robots.txt They don't spam.

I started noticing that some sites dropped from the SERP's. When I check the site, with most of them, I've noticed that Google doesn't have a link to the cache.

Since, I've spoken with quite a few people whose rankings have dropped. Invariably, Google doesn't link to their cache. A couple of these people have their own server. A couple are on shared servers. There's no chance that they were all on valueweb.

I'm surpised no one knows what I'm talking about? I've been seeing this for a few weeks, over a large type and number of sites.
Old 03-10-2005   #11
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Maybe you should explain what you mean by "cache". I assumed that you meant Google's caches of the sites' pages. If you did mean that, that's what I answered.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #12
Bernard
www.measuring-up.com

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point
2much, have you checked to see if Googlebot has been consistently crawling the site(s)/pages?
Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #13
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Marcela, can you provide with a few examples?
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #14
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
>Perhaps I'm not explaining my question clearly?

Seems simple enough to me, perhaps people are looking at your post count and assuming you are stupid?

My guess is not penalties but yet *again* google DNS issues. Having said that you are usually more right than me.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #15
lots0

a short term DNS name server problem should not effect rankings, for long anyway.

If gbot can't find the pages it will come back and check again and again and again...
Then gbot will come back later and look for those pages again...

>assuming you are stupid?

I assume everyone's stupid... That way I am correct most of the time.

Last edited by lots0 : 03-10-2005 at 09:34 PM. Reason: I can't type
Old 03-11-2005   #16
Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard
I'm not sure how many sites they host, but I would not be surprised to learn that a significant number of these reports of sites dissappearing from the SERPs are hosted by them.
I lease a server from ValueWeb and they are NOT blocking Googlebot from my sites. They did have some router issues a few weeks ago and took sites offline for a while to do some emergency maintenance.

People should not be so quick to jump to conclusions about what ValueWeb is doing. The person who reported that ValueWeb's router was blocking the bot did not elaborate on WHY. I doubt it was any conscious decision on their part. Intelligent routers may be blocking robots at many NOCs.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #17
scubamiamijared

scubamiamijared is on a distinguished road
Valueweb

Well unless an email from them admitting that they blocked Googlebot is jumping to a quick decision then I guess I am guilty.

"The Google crawler was being blocked at our core router because it was affecting one of our product lines. This block extended over to our Shared Hosting accounts, however, the policy was removed as of yesterday."

Last edited by scubamiamijared : 03-11-2005 at 04:13 PM. Reason: word
scubamiamijared is offline   Reply With Quote