Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2005   #1
critter
Underpromise; Overdeliver

critter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the rough
Load Balancing and Its Effects on SEO

Hello All,

I have a few questions.

We have a network of 6-7 websites. Each website is contained within one common theme. We are thinking of putting each block of similarly related websites on one common C BLOCK with unique IP's.

Is this ok?

As well, because of our traffic we need to have redundant servers(mirror sites) for load balancing. Can this hamper ones search engine rankings?

Cheers

CRITTER
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #2
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
1) If the websites are already running on seperate domains then it will be perfect to have them hosted on individual IPs - and C-classes.

2) Load balancing can be done in many ways. Some ways I have seen result in directing traffic to different URLs - for example www1, www2 and www3. This is a very bad strategy for search engines. However load balancing can also be done so the URLs stay the same and thats what you should do. Look at Google.com they have many clusters around the world but the URL stay the same no matter who you are or where you connect from.
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #3
critter
Underpromise; Overdeliver

critter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the rough
Hi Mike,

We do the load balancing using mirror sites sitting on a seperate IP, but to Google and the user its seemless as you hit the same website URL no matter the load balancing.

Getting 6 Seperate C BLOCKS seems quite expensive and if the 6 websites are within one common theme and don't cross link much wouldn't it be ok to have them on one c block with unique IP's?

Critter
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #4
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by critter
Getting 6 Seperate C BLOCKS seems quite expensive and if the 6 websites are within one common theme and don't cross link much wouldn't it be ok to have them on one c block with unique IP's?
If it was me, I wouldn't spend a lot more for different c blocks.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #5
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by critter
Getting 6 Seperate C BLOCKS seems quite expensive
Separate C blocks shouldn't be expensive, as you're basically just talking about buying IPs from different ranges, rather than an actual full C block set of IPs.

The expense should come from the servers and administrating their set-up, rather than the IP allocations.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #6
risk

risk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel deMib Svendsen
2) Load balancing can be done in many ways. Some ways I have seen result in directing traffic to different URLs - for example www1, www2 and www3. This is a very bad strategy for search engines. However load balancing can also be done so the URLs stay the same and thats what you should do. Look at Google.com they have many clusters around the world but the URL stay the same no matter who you are or where you connect from.
this is a good point. now, you probably don't want (and can't for that matter) do load balancing the way google does because google uses some combination of geotargetted dns and anycast load balancing. your best choice is probably an inline layer 3 or layer 4 load balancing solution depending on your session affinity requirements. feel free to post here or pm me if you'd like some advice on the technical side of things, since load balancing (as 50 cent would say) bought me my car, my crib, my jewels and all my fancy things ;]

-rsk
risk is offline   Reply With Quote