Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2005   #1
kidmercury
life is a game we play.

kidmercury will become famous soon enoughkidmercury will become famous soon enough
is this a scam?

i recently found out about seogarage.com -- a site that claims to submit your site to 150+ seo friendly directories for $99 with the parameters that you specify (i.e. your description, your keywords, etc).

anyone ever hear of this? is it a scam? legit? sounds interesting and quite appealing to me.
kidmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #2
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Follow the link to the list of directories submitted to. I've only checked out a handful, and all but 1 were using redirects on URLs.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #3
kidmercury
life is a game we play.

kidmercury will become famous soon enoughkidmercury will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian
Follow the link to the list of directories submitted to. I've only checked out a handful, and all but 1 were using redirects on URLs.
really? i checked out the directories on the pages http://info.vilesilencer.com/main.ph...friendly-r.php and http://info.vilesilencer.com/main.ph...friendly-m.php and both seemed to give straight links with no redirects or anything like that. maybe we're looking at different pages?
Old 03-09-2005   #4
lots0

IMO - save your money.

What return do expect for your $99.00?

If your looking for traffic the $99.00 can be spent to acheive much better results by purchasing overture or adwords. Your never going to get any traffic to speak of from any of these so called "directories" (they look a lot like odp clones to me).

If your looking for links, you will do much better with one of the free link exchange programs out there than you would by giving these guys your money.

If your looking to gain google PR, well to be honest, there is no hope for you in the SEO world.
Old 03-09-2005   #5
kidmercury
life is a game we play.

i'm just looking for link popularity -- i think 150+ links from different domains, some of which are decent sites (albeit few), would be worth it for $99. plus if i can buy this i can focus on doing quality paid directories, as well as relevant niche directories, manually. all in all it will help me get a good quantity of links which i do believe helps for optimization.
Old 03-09-2005   #6
Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez is on a distinguished road
You're not going to build link popularity that way.

If you want link popularity, you have to either build your own link circle (not advisable) or do it the old-fashioned way: go out there and get the links.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #7
I, Brian

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidmercury
seemed to give straight links with no redirects or anything like that. maybe we're looking at different pages?
Maybe some inserted redirects after collecting a little link juice. An interestling list, certainly.

If the submission actually can get sites listed, then it's worth it for the IP spread. If all it does is throw code at code, and submissions are not listed, then maybe better burning those greenbacks yourself.
Old 03-09-2005   #8
kidmercury
life is a game we play.

Quote:
If the submission actually can get sites listed, then it's worth it for the IP spread. If all it does is throw code at code, and submissions are not listed, then maybe better burning those greenbacks yourself.
that's what i was thinking as well. now i just need to find out if he's automating it or not. at $99 i'm inclined to think he's automating it -- either that or he's got some real discount labor in action and he's serving as an importer/exporter of search labor.
Old 03-09-2005   #9
Michael Martinez

Friend, you need to go back and reread that guy's main page. You can do far better things with your $99.
Old 03-09-2005   #10
I, Brian

I would presume it's a bot - but not having a programmer background, I don't know how realistic it would be to pull of automated submission across both the different software platforms, and category structures.
Old 03-09-2005   #11
Michael Martinez

I seriously doubt it's a bot. He is advertising a lower-cost bulk submission service to be introduced in a few weeks.

The VileSilencer site offers the full list of directories for free. You can do your own submission. But you need to pay attention to what he tells you about these directories. Apparently, some of them switch to pay-for-inclusion within a short time after opening up.

You are NOT guaranteed to get 150+ links if you pay for the service.
Old 03-09-2005   #12
kidmercury
life is a game we play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Martinez

You are NOT guaranteed to get 150+ links if you pay for the service.
right -- but you arent guaranteed to get listed to any directory you submit to. dmoz is the ultimate example of this. if he's going to manually submit my site with the description, keywords, etc. i specify, though, then that's all anyone can really ask for.
Old 03-09-2005   #13
I, Brian

Hm, he doesn't state whether he's referring to the SEO friendly directories, or the non-SEO friendly directories, on the SEOgarage page.
Old 03-09-2005   #14
kidmercury
life is a game we play.

Quote:
Hm, he doesn't state whether he's referring to the SEO friendly directories, or the non-SEO friendly directories, on the SEOgarage page.
ooh, good eye, brian! i'm going to try asking him -- maybe he can chime in on this thread as well.
Old 03-09-2005   #15
subSEO

subSEO is on a distinguished road
Hello guys,

this is Tom from SEOgarage.com. I was referred to this thread and wanted to put things straight as they are.

First of all, the list of free seo friendly non-reciprocal directories is not done
me, but by Dan from infosilencer.com. From the ones that I have checked, I believe they are all seo friendly, though exceptions might be found of course.

I will not be commenting about the benefits one can get from those links. Except one that I can't resist: how can you compare lifetime link to onetime adwords/overture click. Both are absolutely different concepts with different benefits etc. etc.

Second comment: what do you Michael mean by "go out there and get the links"? This is just that, going out there and getting the links. Though only one part of that, of course.

That service is primarily offered to those who do not have the time to submit
on their own. I do not offer anything more than that I will just do what you
would have done - submit to those sites, manually, with all the due care.

Next concern: all is manual. No automation. And yes you are right, I am a cheap labour. I use no one else for submitting at the moment, so that I can be sure about the quality. The cheaper service will also be manual. No bot, really!

Next one: I am referring to free non-reciprocal list only. Dan stopped updating the other lists, afaik.

TO SUM IT UP: All this service promises is to submit for those who already know about Info.Vilesilencer.com list and are lazy/don't have time/their time is more expensive than mine. Nothing else is promised, in contrast to what could be inferred from some of the posts here.

One thing more, I am rather fully booked at the moment, and I am not looking for any advertisment benefits in this thread. Just wanted to explain things the way they are.

PS. Yes, if you only have $99 to spend, this service is not worth considering. I myself don't have them, so I will submit my sites on my own for free. However there are people who have budgets (and income from their internet business as well) in a different league and for them, I believe my service is a big help.

Last edited by subSEO : 03-09-2005 at 06:59 PM.
subSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #16
Michael Martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by subSEO
Second comment: what do you Michael mean by "go out there and get the links"? This is just that, going out there and getting the links. Though only one part of that, of course.
Your service is getting the links for the people who pay you. They can just as easily browse the directory list and make the submissions themselves.

While you were not involved in the discussion, I felt no compunction to sell your service for you, but I'll point out that what could be your chief advantage in selling your service is that (presumably) you know how to write good directory entries.

Most people don't.

So, the premium they may be paying for (I have no idea of how good you are, so I am not endorsing your service) could be that they get top-quality, non-spammy, reasonably focused directory listings.

The other side of the coin is that, for all I know (and I am not deliberately knocking you or implying this is really the case), you're terrible at it and the average untutored Webmaster could do it better.

All other things being equal, if you have much experience at writing accepted directory entries, then you're more likely to be better than someone else who hasn't done it before.

Nonetheless, if links are all people want, you're charging almost $1 per submission. It takes relatively little time to manually submit a site to a directory (I do it often). That seems rather high-priced to me (others may disagree -- value is subjective).
Old 03-09-2005   #17
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
They can just as easily browse the directory list and make the submissions themselves
But that isn't so and isn't the intention. SUBseo just posted this:

Quote:
That service is primarily offered to those who do not have the time to submit on their own.
and also just posted this:

Quote:
TO SUM IT UP: All this service promises is to submit for those who already know about Info.Vilesilencer.com list and are lazy/don't have time/their time is more expensive than mine.
It's for people who can't or don't want to do it themselves - he just said that.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #18
Michael Martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
Quote:
They can just as easily browse the directory list and make the submissions themselves
But that isn't so and isn't the intention. SUBseo just posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subseo
That service is primarily offered to those who do not have the time to submit on their own.
Marcia, anyone can make time to submit links. Hence, they CAN, if they wish, do it themselves.

If I were the guy offering that service, I would be emphasizing the value of my skill at writing the directory submissions in addition to the time-saving factor. But since he says he is booked up, it really doesn't matter, does it?

What is the point of quibbling over who can or may not do their own directory submissions?
Old 03-09-2005   #19
kidmercury
life is a game we play.

Quote:
Marcia, anyone can make time to submit links. Hence, they CAN, if they wish, do it themselves.
this implies that convenience is not something of value worth paying for. a few hundred years of capitalist economies might suggest the opposite.

but perhaps it is an individual choice, as we all have different value systems. for me, i consider the convenience to be an immense one, and was considering hiring someone to do the submission from info.vilesilencer.com anyway.
Old 03-09-2005   #20
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Link Building can be one of many SEO's biggest nightmares, because we all know how much we need links (unfortunatelly). In today's enviroment it takes a lot more than just submiting to directories. Search engines are constantly finding ways to assign weights to the different types of links weither it's coming form a hub or an authority, from a homepage or a deep page, from a blog or a directory, and so on. When I wrote the Link Building 101 thread, my biggest objective was to point members to sources on how to build links in a creative way. Call it old school versus how many website owners and webmasters gain links today. There are many new ways to do it as well. I will try to update my source list whenever I get a chance to do it.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote