Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2005   #1
kermitdej

Can My AdWords Ad Appear Twice on the Same Page?

My boss came up to me today with a question that absolutely threw me off guard. He asked, why aren't we coming up twice on Google Adwords...we used to before you started.

Because I recently became an AdWord professional in the past year, I thought I'd post this just to make sure, but I didn't think it was possible to have more than one ad come up on a search unless you legally have two separate companies and two separate bank accounts and two totally separate logins. Anything else would be considered black hat techniques and probably be subject to banning from Google.

Am I totally off base here or am I missing a key opportunity to have 2 of my 7 ads for a campaign to be displayed on a single search. Also, if you do have 2 different companies selling the same product to 2 different audiences, as long as you keep them separate with different accounts, credit cards, websites, etc. that wouldn't be black hat as far as Google would be concerned, correct?

Thanks for any replies.
Old 03-07-2005   #2
Bran

Bran is on a distinguished road
There is, as far as I am aware, not a snowball's chance in Hell that you will have two ads on the same page. You're not even meant to have two ads per search result, never mind page!
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #3
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Affiliate loophole?

I do see affiliates advertising for the same company on the same page. This seems to be an unfair advantage. As a company owner can I create my own mini affiliate program, and have them open up 10 accounts and advertise for my company?

I also see companies that get their ads listed two even three times on google without affilliates. Funny enough one company has 3-4 listings on a popular google search in our industry, but they have such a poor arse website that I just know they are pouring money down the drain all the while thinking they are cheating google. I dont want to report them, I just click away when I want a good laugh during the day.

Cheers
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
If you had previously been running a separate content account and another for search only then there would be times when both ads would appear.
This practice has been sidelined pretty much by Google but has been known to occurr.... penalty one term gets dropped.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #5
The Generator

The Generator will become famous soon enough
True, Aussiewebmaster. I've seen it occur while simultaneously running seperate content and search accounts. Google does 99% of the time seem to prevent running two ads with the same domain at the same time.

I can only speculate that a similar double listing anomily may occur while running ads in two accounts that geographically overlap. In other words I'm speculating that it could happen if one account had the settings lang=English, distribution=global and the other account has lang=English, distribution=AUS + NZ, resulting in a double listing in Australia and New Zealand.
The Generator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #6
cline
Aderit Internet Marketing Consulting: www.Aderit.com

cline has a spectacular aura aboutcline has a spectacular aura about
I have observed competitors with multiple Adwords accounts running 2 ads on the same term. It's quite easy to do, but it's against the TOS. Bringing this to Adwords' attention has always eliminated the duplication within a day.

It's possible to get special approval from Adwords for one company to have 2 ads, but the sites and the offers have to be substantially different, offer a clear expansion of consumer choice, and competitive with each other. Kind of like all the different brands of detergent made by P&G.
cline is offline   Reply With Quote