Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2005   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Ask Jeeves's Apostolos Says Google Doesn't Use PageRank

In an interview by Mike Grehan, Ask Jeeves's Apostolos says that Google no longer uses PageRank.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #2
JasonD

JasonD will become famous soon enoughJasonD will become famous soon enough
An amazing insight. Thanks Barry for pushing me in the direction of this and thanks Mike for undertaking the interview.

Last and by no means least thank you to the guys at Ask! A great read
JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005   #3
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
That is indeed a great interview, but the take on google not using PageRank is not quite spot on I don't believe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeg interview
There is some debate about this. I think both of them were independently discovered. Has PageRank influenced Google? The answer is: later, yes. Have they implemented PageRank? The answer is no.

Mike:

Well that's very interesting that you mention that. Because I was going to ask you. In 1998 both PageRank and Kleinberg's work were both pretty much advanced because search on the web was in its infancy then.

But, it's 2005 now, so things have changed. And I wanted to ask you about how important you think PageRank is in the work that goes on over at Google?

Apostolos:

The importance has diminished because PageRank is just one piece of the ranking algorithm over there. The ranking algorithm is so much more complex now. And PageRank is just used when they want to break ties.
Which to me are conflicting answers are best, and my take from the quote is just what the majority of the SEO community believes - PageRank is used but its not a very important part of the algo.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005   #4
ThouShaltSeo

ThouShaltSeo is on a distinguished road
It's hard to take them seriously on SE technology. They just use that to collect the content to sell ads. It takes about 4 hours of scrolling, just to bypass the "sponsored listings".
ThouShaltSeo is offline   Reply With Quote