Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Ask.com
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2005   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I'll try to summarize what I wrote at my blog entry named Ask Jeeves Rockin' These Days here.

Since the inception of this thread Ask Jeeves has done a lot, including:

(1) TV Commercials
(2) Discussions about Open Sourcing Search
(3) Acquiring Bloglines
(4) Increased communication through Ask Jeeves Blog and Jeeves Coming Out

Now I see that they have removed the 7 of the 10 top sponsored results. They have place only 3 top sponsored results at the top and then is showing those juicy natural results.

Check out a search on ipod for example.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #2
martinuboo
Free Directory Listings Reviews

martinuboo will become famous soon enough
There's 6 sponsored results there now + that big box at the top with the product pictures.
martinuboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Not for me, and some others...
Old 02-17-2005   #4
MUSCLE13

I know you are gonna hate me for this Barry, but I really believe the biggest accomplishment Jeeves had in the last month was releasing a product that produced 400% more unique internet users than Bloglines had (according to the Alexa traffic numbers) this past Monday - Valentines Day. That new Jeeves release was My Fun Cards by Fun Web Products. I think its going to be huge. I remember when American Greetings was free it was consistently in the top 10 Nielsen rankings.

What does this have to do with search? A LOT! MyWebsearch bars go right along with all the Fun Web products.
Old 02-17-2005   #5
rustybrick

No I don't hate you. I am just focused on the items we discussed in this thread. Many of those items have been addressed by Ask Jeeves in less then 2 months. That is just outstanding!
Old 02-17-2005   #6
MUSCLE13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick
I am just focused on the items we discussed in this thread. Many of those items have been addressed by Ask Jeeves in less then 2 months. That is just outstanding!
That is true. You think Jeeves is really paying attention? That would be kinda cool.
Old 02-17-2005   #7
rustybrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSCLE13
That is true. You think Jeeves is really paying attention? That would be kinda cool.
I know Jeeves is paying attention. Not only that...They are not just talking about doing stuff, they have done stuff already!
Old 02-18-2005   #8
LoneRanger

LoneRanger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinuboo
There's 6 sponsored results there now + that big box at the top with the product pictures.
Here is the trick to get lesser ads. Use Firefox!
Starting this week, people who use Firefox get far lesser ads than people who use IE based browsers!
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #9
bwelford
Internet Marketing Consultant

bwelford is on a distinguished road
Being a Firefox user, I thought that's great and I would like to think it's also a very astute move on Ask Jeeves part.

However, LoneRanger, it didn't work for me. In either FF or IE I get one Featured Sponsor + 3 Sponsored Listings before getting to the results I was looking for.

However I'm in Canada, so perhaps there's a correction for that.
Old 02-21-2005   #10
rustybrick

I was going to wait, but I hear Mike Grehan has a new article coming out in the next few says with Jim Lanzone and the man behind the technology, Apostolos Gerasoulis. I am pretty excited to read it.
Old 02-21-2005   #11
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
How can we take Jeeves seriously, though, when it simply dumps advertising across the top of its SERPs in number?

Take this:
http://web.ask.co.uk/uk?q=internet+marketing&qsrc=1&o=0

Where is the useful user experience? It isn't - it's just an advertising page. Jeeves may as well just scrape Google and stick AdSense on top.

Speaking of Google - Google built themselves on relevant results, and then ensured a wall between organic and paid search.

The fact that Jeeves has not makes it look like it would rather beg for advertising crumbs, then develop a real product to be interested in.

And something else I've pointed out before, is that Jeeves makes the awful mistake of only listing UK domain results in its UK search, rather than listing domains on the basis of UK IP hosting.

Altogether, it makes it look as if Jeeves can't take itself seriously as a search engine. And if they can't, how can we as users?
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #12
rustybrick

I see that I,Brian. But When I do a search at ask.com here, the "adsense" is pretty much labeled and only at the top 3. Are we seeing changes coming soon?
Old 02-21-2005   #13
MUSCLE13

Barry, I still think they have a long way to go. Yes they have addressed some issues but a lot of challenges remain. The have to execute on 5 brands - Ask, iWon, MyWay, MyWebSearch and Bloglines. I leave out Excite because Infospace owns Excite Search. Ask is getting TV promotion now, but how about iWon? iWon used to be a top 10 web property. Bloglines has a fast growing user base but where is the revenue model? Will they ever lay out a clear growth strategy for their top portal MyWay? And will Ask be able to compete with the big boys internationally? A lot of opportunity but a lot of questions. They are going against huge companies in Yahoo, Google and MSN. They are the underdog.

I love the MyWebSearch toolbar. To me thats their secret weapon. The search industry will increasingly move towards downloadable apps. Toolbars, desktop search, browsers etc.
Old 02-21-2005   #14
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick
I see that I,Brian. But When I do a search at ask.com here, the "adsense" is pretty much labeled and only at the top 3. Are we seeing changes coming soon?
Indeed - that *is* an improvement - for the .com version.

But why do they so neglect the UK site?
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #15
rustybrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian
Indeed - that *is* an improvement - for the .com version.

But why do they so neglect the UK site?
Isn't the UK a big market for them?

Anyway, I bet they are just testing stuff out with certain locations and/or browsers. Nothing is set in stone on this, since only a small % is seeing what I am seeing.
Old 02-21-2005   #16
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
I like the TV spots. Unfortunately there are still ten sponsor results for "website promotion tools"

any others still finding ten sponsors?
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #17
martinuboo
Free Directory Listings Reviews

martinuboo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Boggs
I like the TV spots. Unfortunately there are still ten sponsor results for "website promotion tools"

For that search on IE 6 = 9 paid results, Firefox, Netscape 7, and Opera = 2 paid results on top.

Are they targeting IE because it is in such wide use or because the alternate browsers are used by a more discerning audience?? Strange!

Last edited by martinuboo : 02-21-2005 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Typo
martinuboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #18
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Boggs
Ten for all sorts of searches, plus a huge banner ad that would hold at least three Yahoo Overture listings. It really does cheapen the rest.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #19
rustybrick

Lets just assume they only put three sponsored (paid) ads at the top.

Now, would that change everyone's opinion?
Old 02-22-2005   #20
krisval

krisval has a spectacular aura aboutkrisval has a spectacular aura aboutkrisval has a spectacular aura about
Yes, If they limit to 3 at the top. I think they should place more on the right below the related topics.

Reasons why I like it.

- Excellent results