Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2005   #1
Gerardism
Waiting for Freedom 35

Gerardism is on a distinguished road
Google and the title tag (something new?)

I just happened to notice while looking for a local company and knowing all they had in their title tag was the word 'index', Google was displaying the first sentence from the first paragraph as the title in the results page.

I'm not sure how new this is, but interesting. Anyone else notice this before this latest update?
Gerardism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #2
telNform
White-Hat this!

telNform is on a distinguished road
example

Can you post an example of this?
telNform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #3
Gerardism
Waiting for Freedom 35

Gerardism is on a distinguished road
Here's the link.

The site is the 4th listing, and when you check the title in the coding, its only 'index' showing.

google title changed

I think I recall earlier this week doing the same search and seeing the word 'index' in the title on the results page.
Gerardism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #4
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I never saw anything like this before, but yet again, I never looked.

Nice to see!
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #5
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
That is all I see as the title in the SERPs - "index". I don't see the "first sentence from the first paragraph as the title in the results page". Are you sure you saw it correctly?
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #6
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
David, I captured some screen images at my blog http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/001551.html

I noticed it seemed to be something that is being tested by Google. Some people getting it, and some not.
Old 02-17-2005   #7
DarkMatter
Master Blaster

DarkMatter is on a distinguished road
I see it with the first sentence as the title in the serps. I wonder whether there's an seo angle you could use this for.
DarkMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #8
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Must be beta testing autofills.... this could be great for people that are adding loads of content on a regular basis.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #9
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Geraldism - great catch!

Well done!

Chris
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #10
hrih

hrih is on a distinguished road
November 2004

Actually, Google altered their algorithm in late November 2004. (algo 4 duplicated & spam content [penalties], linking schemes, classification, empty title tag, rating, & s.o) .
hrih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #11
Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez is on a distinguished road
This kind of indexing has been noticed in Google for the past couple of years. Lacking a relevant title tag, Google will try to determine what the most relevant EMPHASIZED text on the page (with respect to the user's query) is, and substitute that. The phrase occurs on the page several times, and is therefore the most important phrase on the page.

Notice that none of the search results include that phrase in their title pages. If you search for that expression "greater corner brook board of trade" using quotation marks around the string, you'll find a total of 20 results.

This is a very non-competitive term, and Google is providing meaningful information about the page in its SERP.

No biggie, nothing new.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005   #12
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Martinez
This kind of indexing has been noticed in Google for the past couple of years. Lacking a relevant title tag, Google will try to determine what the most relevant EMPHASIZED text on the page (with respect to the user's query) is, and substitute that. The phrase occurs on the page several times, and is therefore the most important phrase on the page.

Notice that none of the search results include that phrase in their title pages. If you search for that expression "greater corner brook board of trade" using quotation marks around the string, you'll find a total of 20 results.

This is a very non-competitive term, and Google is providing meaningful information about the page in its SERP.

No biggie, nothing new.
Michael you missed what this one is about. According to the post above and the info in the thread it is that now if you leave your title tag blank (or if it is index.html) Google does not use that in the list but rather finds terms from the page itself to fill it.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005   #13
Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
Michael you missed what this one is about. According to the post above and the info in the thread it is that now if you leave your title tag blank (or if it is index.html) Google does not use that in the list but rather finds terms from the page itself to fill it.
That is exactly what I was talking about. Google has been doing this for a couple of years for situations exactly like this. I know, because I accidentally left out a title tag on one of my pages and Google filled in appropriate descriptive text for me. I have long since fixed the page.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005   #14
Pushe
What is popular is not always right, what is right is not always popular!

Pushe is on a distinguished road
Hello,

It`s not only if google can`t find relevancy in the title tag. Some times I see the title in the serps, sometimes I see the 1st few words from the first paragraph, and that is for the same keyword, the same page and even the same possition.

Any suggestions?

Pushe
Pushe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005   #15
rustybrick

Just to add. It is a very important distinction that some people see "index" and some people see the search phrase.
Old 02-18-2005   #16
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road
Great find!

Hopefully there will be fewer 'untitled', 'index' and 'new page 1' title tags coming up in the SERPs.
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005   #17
inlogicalbearer
SEO and Marketing News from North

inlogicalbearer is on a distinguished road
Hope Google will also replace the more than 500,000 page showing :
Welcome to Adobe GoLive * ;-)

Last edited by inlogicalbearer : 02-18-2005 at 10:00 AM.
inlogicalbearer is offline   Reply With Quote