Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2005   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
SES Toronto 2005

I am strongly considering going to SES Toronto 2005. But the catch is, I want to drive from New York to Toronto. The trip doesn't look too bad, 7 hours and 32 minutes, about 500 miles. It takes me about 1.5 hours to get to the airport, then an 1.5 hours at the airport, and then maybe an other 1 hour to get off the plane and to the venue = 4 hours. I am thinking the drive can be fun, especially in my car.

Anyone else going? Want to make sure it's worth the trip.

Plus that means I'll blog the hell out of the event.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #2
critter
Underpromise; Overdeliver

critter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the rough
Hey Rusty!

I think I willl be doing and have been trying to get in touch with Chris to see if I could join one of the panels with a local colleague of mine.

Both of us run SEO businesses here in Canada and would love to promote and discuss the Canadian SEO industry and where it's heading!

SEE YOU THERE!

CRITTER
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #3
Incubator

Incubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura about
Hey Rusty, I live here, book your hotel...and if the late night parties hit YOU WILL be looked after...

Please hit Toronto...would love to sit and talk

Cheers

WC
Incubator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #4
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Thanks...I am leaning towards coming.

Hope to see you there.
Old 02-16-2005   #5
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
As far as I know, I'm still speaking, so I'll see everyone there as well - looking forward to it!

Ian
Old 03-20-2005   #6
rustybrick

So I was messing around with Google Maps to visualize the trip, if I decide to drive, instead of fly.

Check it out here.

Wouldn't it make much more sense to drive a straight line from point A to point B?

Seems like a waste. Real reason for showing you this, I think those maps are so cool.
Old 03-20-2005   #7
rustybrick

Me just wasting some time, thought I waste yours as well.
Purple is Google, Green is my dream trip, Red is if I had a private jet.
Old 03-20-2005   #8
randfish

randfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to all
Barry - You should take an off-road vehicle that runs on cold dirt. That'll take you in a straight line without hassle. Plus, there's lots of cold dirt between NY & Toronto
randfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #9
critter

critter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the rough
Easy drive Rusty..

I'm from Toronto - and it's less then a days work

Cheers

Critter
Old 03-21-2005   #10
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick
I am strongly considering going to SES Toronto 2005. But the catch is, I want to drive from New York to Toronto. The trip doesn't look too bad, 7 hours and 32 minutes, about 500 miles. It takes me about 1.5 hours to get to the airport, then an 1.5 hours at the airport, and then maybe an other 1 hour to get off the plane and to the venue = 4 hours. I am thinking the drive can be fun, especially in my car.

Anyone else going? Want to make sure it's worth the trip.

Plus that means I'll blog the hell out of the event.
RB, well, I drove to Boston for SES in 2001 (9 hrs.). Depending on the route you take, it can be a very nice drive through the mountains in upstate NY. But you will be very tired. To be honest the flight from NY to Toronto is really sweet, at about an hr., even if you have to wait around in airports. 1.5 hrs. to the airport makes it worth considering driving though I guess...

The show looks great to me but I'm biased.

Lots of good people are coming, should be plenty of networking, and can you really wait until AUGUST for the next North American date!?
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #11
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Speaking of private Jets, I got a Jetsgo flight to New York for only $64 Cdn. each way (not counting fees & taxes - total was $259 Cdn.).

Unsurprisingly, Jetsgo is now bankrupt!
Old 03-21-2005   #12
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
How much is the hotel (or hotels/motels) in Toronto, or real close by? I'e got a slew of relatives that have been recently found after a long time, and it tuns out that a close cousin's son lives in Toronto.

I have not been to any SES at all, and would love to!
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #13
rustybrick

If I do drive, I would leave 3pm and arrive 10pm or so. So should be ok, in terms of being tired. Andrew, what is parking like there? Expensive?
Old 03-21-2005   #14
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
>>I would leave 3pm and arrive 10pm or so.

So then, if I flew to Rochester and visited with the kinfolks for a spell, you could pick me up on your way to Toronto if it were timed right.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #15
rustybrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
>>I would leave 3pm and arrive 10pm or so.

So then, if I flew to Rochester and visited with the kinfolks for a spell, you could pick me up on your way to Toronto if it were timed right.
For sure. As long as i don't take anyone else, which I do not plan to at the moment. My car only fits two people and a golf bag.
Old 03-21-2005   #16
critter

YOu can find hotels in Toronto ranging in price from $59-$599 per night depending on your needs.

There are a few very nice hotels where SES is being held, that would probably cost you in the $149-$199CDN/night range!

Cheers

CRITTER
Old 03-21-2005   #17
rustybrick

Thanks Critter, what about parking a car there for 3 days?
Old 03-22-2005   #18
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
I'll be there.

Does anyone know which hotel is closer to the event between:

Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel

The Westin Harbor Castle

The Westin Prince Toronto

???

I'm a very loyal Starwood Hotel patron if you cant tell

Thanks,

Joe
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005   #19
critter

Rusty - Parking your car for 3 days will probably cost you $25/day. Your hotel will provide this parking and if you stay at a hotel which is close enough to the venue... In early May the weather should be good enough where you could walk 5-10 minutes to the expo, so parking your car at the hotel is the best bet.

Joseph - I would recommend this hotel if you have not been to Toronto and want to be able to walk to the expo;

InterContinental Toronto Centre
225 Front Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 2X3
Canada
Tel: +1 416 597 1400, Fax: +1 416 597 8128
E-mail: torontocentre@interconti.com

If not, of the choices you provided, The Westin Harbor Castle is probably the closest to the Venue (25 mnute walk), but if you havent been to Toronto and enjoy the "Big City", that won't be bad at all. It sits right on the waterfront, in a great part of Toronto for the spring.

Not too worry - for all those who are coming we will DEFINATELY need to enjoy some drinks and late nights. Toronto has a GREAT nightlife and is a GREAT CITY!

Cheers

Critter
Old 03-22-2005   #20
andrewgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
How much is the hotel (or hotels/motels) in Toronto, or real close by? I'e got a slew of relatives that have been recently found after a long time, and it tuns out that a close cousin's son lives in Toronto.

I have not been to any SES at all, and would love to!
It's $4,000 a night to stay at my place. Other than that, Toronto hotels are in line with the other SES conference venues, probably a bit cheaper, though the $Cdn is strengthening.

Some may wish to explore boutique hotels near the conference rather than the major hotels. For those with a few dollars, the Drake, the Metropolitan, the Gladstone and several others may give you that "funky Toronto experience" most of us never had.

Personally I always find it most convenient to stay within short walking distance of the conference -- this conference is located close to the financial district so all the major hotels are nearby.

Now is the chance to try out your "local search" skills!

http://local.google.ca

http://www.torontolife.com

http://www.toronto.com