Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2005   #1
Turnip

Turnip is on a distinguished road
Old to new - park domain or 301?

Hi

I've searched the forums, but not sure I've found enough to specifically answer my question.

I have two sites on an identical subject (NOT duplicate content). One is an old .co.uk site (4 years old) and hasn't been updated for year, but does pretty well on Google (and the other SEs) for some key phrases. However, I am going to abandon the old one as I don't feel that the domain name is relevant to the project I am building on the new site and I wanted a .com. I've put a few links to the new site and left it at that for the moment.

I launched the new site around November last year and it is nice and firmly hanging around in Google's sandbox - although it generally ranks on page 1 of MSN and page 2-3 of Yahoo.

I am strongly building content on the new site, but the hosting of the old domain is going to expire soon, so I am trying to decide what is best to do. It is currently on a different server, but I will soon move it to my reseller account, on the same IP range as the new site. I am happy if the old site goes into oblivion, but I don't want to waste the traffic it produces, or get the new site penalised so - and you know what I'm going to ask don't you...?

1. 301 redirect? And if so, should I have the htaccess file on the old separate web server, or is it fine to move it to the same server as the new site?

2. Just park the old domain on the new one?

3. Leave the old site where it is - it's doing no harm, has some useful information and I get some referrals from links on it's home page?

In a related question, if I kill/park/301 the old domain and move the content onto the new site, is there a chance that the new site will be penalised for duplication? I thought of just having it in an 'archive' section somewhere.

Last edited by Turnip : 02-09-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005   #2
Gerardism
Waiting for Freedom 35

Gerardism is on a distinguished road
If the old site could be used as an information/resource site, then I would be leaning more towards leaving it up, but still make sure there's no duplicate content.

But, from what you mentioned (assuming the old site was used for your sales end), I would consider going with a 301 redirect. Get all the info from your stats regarding the top pages on your site that are drawing traffic, and get the data on the keywords, and then forward them to the new appropriate pages. You don't want to let any of the traffic go to waste.

One thing that you will need to keep in mind, depending on how competitive your industry is, that it could take from 6-8 months to get your new site off of the ground (which I'm sure you're aware of). So there is a timeframe that you have to consider for the switchover, with getting your new site ranking again in google. In this time for waiting, it would give you enough time to hopfully contact the people that are linking to your old site and update the links.

Last edited by Gerardism : 02-09-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Gerardism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #3
Turnip

Thanks for your input Gerardism.

The old site could be used as a resoruce of sorts, but it's getting pretty out of date. Moreover, there are few links left that point to it yet, strangely, it returns very decent results for some very competitive keywords (I think some 'highly thought of' educational establishments linked to it at one point). And yes, I am sadly aware that I have possibly another 6 months or so for the new site (similarly very competitive keywords) to do well in Google.

I have already done a 301 with the discussion forum from the old site to the new site's forum (which is still in Google's cache if I search specifically, but no longer seems to show up in results). But have resisted with the rest of the site for some of the reasons you mention.

If I 301 the rest of the site, will both sites drop out of Google for the next 6 months? (which, if I understand you correctly, is what you are saying). If so I was wondering if I could at least get some traffic from the old domain, by simply parking it on the new one? Then when the new site is 'unsandboxed', I could do a 301...?

Quote:
But, from what you mentioned (assuming the old site was used for your sales end), I would consider going with a 301 redirect. Get all the info from your stats regarding the top pages on your site that are drawing traffic, and get the data on the keywords, and then forward them to the new appropriate pages. You don't want to let any of the traffic go to waste.
It's not really a sales site, more of a resources and news site. i.e. there's no shopping basket type issue to worry about. So, from what you are saying, I should 301 individual high ranking pages to the new site and move them physical to the new domain?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Turnip : 02-10-2005 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-16-2005   #4
Turnip

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Thanks.