Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2005   #21
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
My picture is in my profile
None of you EVER look the way I expect you to.
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #22
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by randfish
Just a quick question, and probably a silly one...
How will I recognize all of you? On the boards I know everyone, but I'm worried that my social skills may not translate to a conference environment. This may sound like a very dumb question, but, do we all wear name tags with our forum names?
You'll be able to spot me at the bar wearing my spam fighting crusader outfit.
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #23
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Probably a good time to mention that we're doing "Birds Of A Feather" seating at lunch for the first time. Different tables will have different signs so people of common interest can gather -- B2B folks, etc. Do you want me to have a table or two set up with a sign saying SEW Forum Members each day? Then you'll have at least one spot to gather and work out names, faces and so on.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #24
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Boggs
hey can we "normal" people (non-mods) put a pic in our profile?

Well, if you would have signed up the day I did, then it would have been an option. They pulled it soon after. I kinda squeezed my picture in there.

Are yo sure you cant add a "profile image" in the user control panel?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #25
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysullivan
Probably a good time to mention that we're doing "Birds Of A Feather" seating at lunch for the first time. Different tables will have different signs so people of common interest can gather -- B2B folks, etc. Do you want me to have a table or two set up with a sign saying SEW Forum Members each day? Then you'll have at least one spot to gather and work out names, faces and so on.
Thats a great idea, plus I think us moderators will have some sort of sticker or something on our badges so that you guys will have something to aim for with your water balloons....

Danny's pretty easy to find, he's the one walking 90 miles an hour between sessions (makes aiming harder though...)
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #26
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Do you want me to have a table or two set up with a sign saying SEW Forum Members each day? Then you'll have at least one spot to gather and work out names, faces and so on.
YES, please do. Thanks for doing this Danny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Morin
. . . I think us moderators will have some sort of sticker or something on our badges . . .
Yes, that is confirmed.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #27
randfish

randfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to all
I had a couple of other questions about the conference that maybe you guys could answer for me...

Since I'm not attending the paid sessions, can I still eat lunch with you guys?

I'm not specifically looking to get clients (as we are full up), do you have recommendations for what specific activities I should do? I think I'm going primarily with the goals of learning as much as possible, seeing the expo - new products, offerings, etc. and primarily meeting the people I spend all my time with - forum members!

Are there conference rooms available to use? Do they need reserving ahead of time? Or does the bar/local coffee shop work?

It appears from photos and testimonials that many thousands of people attend the conference - is it primarily people in our line of work web/search marketing/optimization or is the crowd more diverse?

Will anyone be in town on Friday as well? I was thinking of coming in on Friday if there is any informal types of hanging out, etc. going on...

Are there any plans for putting Seattle on the SES schedule in the future?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I'm just a bit excited and unsure about this. But, I have my ticket and registered for the expo today, so there's no going back.
randfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #28
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
You can rest assured that if they're not in the expo or the sessions, they're in the hotel bar.

There will always be some SEO/SEM geeks there, night or day, rain or shine!
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #29
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick
Well, if you would have signed up the day I did, then it would have been an option. They pulled it soon after. I kinda squeezed my picture in there.

Are yo sure you cant add a "profile image" in the user control panel?
yeah i just checked again...you guys must have heard how ugly I was and blocked it from my panel

"that Chris Boggs guy's gonna scare away everyone - quick change his options before he's the wiser!"
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #30
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
>still worth going

Absolutely. Go. This business is all (well, 90%) about networking ...but rudimentary bar/pub skills are required.

>birds of a feather

Dorky name, Danny, but an excellent idea.
rcjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #31
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
RC, you're right. I should have called it....

Hats Of A Feather!

Old 02-11-2005   #32
oilman

oilman is a jewel in the roughoilman is a jewel in the roughoilman is a jewel in the roughoilman is a jewel in the rough
LMAO - boo hiss
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #33
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I don't mean to turn this into a "request a city" thread, but I'm also curious and hopeful about SES in Seattle someday. I have a feeling San Jose is too close geographically to justify anything else on the west coast, though.
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #34
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Quote:
RC, you're right. I should have called it....

Hats Of A Feather!

or perhaps "Birds of Prey" would have been appropriate!
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #35
randfish

randfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to all
Gonna wear my yellow shoes day 1 - say hi! if you spot me.
randfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #36
dannysullivan

Quote:
Not in the next year or two, I'm afraid. We're pretty much set with New York, San Jose and Chicago for the US this year and next.

That said, it's a good time to mention that we hope to announce more news about some Search Engine Watch Forum meets soon. The idea is not to do SES or mini-SES but instead let SEWF members and others in cities that SES doesn't get to meet informally.
Old 02-24-2005   #37
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:

That is funny.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #38
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
do you have a matching suit?

if so Mikkel may have found his match
Old 02-24-2005   #39
DarkMatter
Master Blaster

DarkMatter is on a distinguished road
pssst

I have a question : Is it permissable to bring a tape recorder and record the speakers? I'm thinking that my head will be spinning so fast with all the big hats and free magazines that I'll forget all the important stuff!

Last edited by Joseph Morin : 02-24-2005 at 12:09 PM. Reason: no mention of passes allowed
DarkMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #40
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMatter
I have a question : Is it permissable to bring a tape recorder and record the speakers? I'm thinking that my head will be spinning so fast with all the big hats and free magazines that I'll forget all the important stuff!
I think some people do the recording stuff but have not done it myself and do not know the official policy.

a good # of people play on gadgets and do various things at the events.

Last edited by Joseph Morin : 02-24-2005 at 12:11 PM. Reason: mention of passes
seobook is offline   Reply With Quote