Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2005   #1
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
New MSN Search commercial

I just saw a commercial for the 'new MSN Search' touting a better way to search on ABC. Looks like microsoft is going full bore

It will be interesting to see how this shakes things up...
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #2
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
I'd expected to see a big launch on the SuperBowl but didn't. Maybe the demographics were wrong considering the cost. Missed part of the game, though, so possibly there was a SuperBowl presence that I didn't see.

On other threads, I've been positing that the timing of the MSN launch may well have something to do with the timing of the current Google update and apparent partial opening of the sandbox. This latter seems to be changing every few hours, so I'm not yet sure about that... but, if the sandbox is open, there's a lot to be said for competition.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
No SuperBowl for MSN.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005   #4
Razvan Antonescu
SEO Consultant

Razvan Antonescu is on a distinguished road
That Super Bowl image makes no sense outside the US space. I am not even sure is Super Bowl related. On Sunday morning a black car was on that place (now I feel sorry for not taking a screenshot ). My first thought it was that they switch randomly images in order to show their complexity.

When I saw posts in blogs poping up and mentioning the SuperBowl i was a litlle dissapointed. I thought MSN search was an international search engine.

Comparing that image with Google's special logos is a litlle too much. Google guys switch it only on international events and is not so....all over but rather discrete
Razvan Antonescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005   #5
smindsrt
Site-Sift Web Directory

smindsrt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvan Antonescu
That Super Bowl image makes no sense outside the US space. I am not even sure is Super Bowl related. On Sunday morning a black car was on that place (now I feel sorry for not taking a screenshot ). My first thought it was that they switch randomly images in order to show their complexity.

When I saw posts in blogs poping up and mentioning the SuperBowl i was a litlle dissapointed. I thought MSN search was an international search engine.

Comparing that image with Google's special logos is a litlle too much. Google guys switch it only on international events and is not so....all over but rather discrete
Dude..... It's the Superbowl not my kids pop warner game. Americans aren't the only ones to watch it.
smindsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005   #6
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Quote:
Companies do ad campaigns in various countries. The Super Bowl is a major advertising push in the US. Just because someone advertises on it doesn't mean they aren't international -- only that they want to reach a mass US audience. If you want to see if MSN is being international, watch and see if they advertise where possible with large non-US events, say the FA Cup.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005   #7
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvan Antonescu

I didn't say it was a SuperBowl commercial. I just saw a commercial for MSN Search. It happened to be on SuperBowl Sunday and it was on a different network.
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005   #8
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
This just leads me back to my fear.

Those MSN commercials are so powerful and convincing, it makes me want to switch.

But yet, SEOs are loving the results. How can that be good?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005   #9
sarumu1
Eamus Catuli!

sarumu1 has a spectacular aura aboutsarumu1 has a spectacular aura about
Huh?

Dunno which superbowl you all were watching, but I saw MSN's butterfly between plays of the game that featured the timeless New England Patriots and the time-dense Philadelphia Eagles.

http://dyn.ifilm.com/superbowlads/

Subbu.
sarumu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005   #10
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Subbu - Thanks for the link. So far, that's the only MSN Search spot I've seen.

I have seen a lot of the Microsoft software ads... the ones with the superimposed, animated white-line drawings representing human potential... and I think they're absolutely extraordinary, among the best TV spots I've seen in quite a while. I don't think the MSN Search ad on ifilm is anywhere close. It will be interesting to see the rest.

In the meantime, Google chugs along on word of mouth and Public Radio sponsorship, which I think is an enlightened use of advertising money.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005   #11
skattabrain
can't remember where he left his hat.

skattabrain is on a distinguished road
google has made it on word of mouth because they launched a clean, simple ....

logo
search ____________ go

... style page and gave great results ... in a time where altavista decided to go hyper advertising and we all know how that story panned out.

those days are over .... their results are no better than todays' MSN & Yahoo.

getting people to switch se's is no easy task. yahoo searchers are really yahoo users in general. msn people .... i think they are the ones that haven't set their homepage to something else after a Windows Install.

I pray this changes ... equal market share is (should be) the seo's wish.
skattabrain is offline   Reply With Quote