Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2005   #1
koustubhan

koustubhan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down I'll Better Avoid Link Exchanges

I'll better avoid link exchages as this only leads to confusion, becuase if anyone tries to open my site, only other links showup and the visiotor may forget what he wanted in the firstplace and also if we start to exchange links, we may have to provide several links on my site, which irritates the visitor of my site and he'll be tired of closing all the windows and he may finally close our site at the end.

This is not at all adviceable guys!
koustubhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005   #2
strategicrankings
Seolid.com - Ranking Websites First - since 1999

strategicrankings will become famous soon enough
You may set up a directory on a subdomain and use it for link exchange.

You then ask your link partners to link to your main site and you give them link from the directory.
strategicrankings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005   #3
lots0

koustubhan,
A properly done link exchange is a benefit to your users and to your search engine ranking.

The only way a link exchange would be confusing to anyone or make the user forget what they wanted, is if the person designing the site/page has no clue.

Unless your site is sooo good that it is going to attract a bunch of cynical webmasters to link to it, your going to need reciprocal links(a link exchange), no matter if you like them or not, if you want to succeed with your online business.

Of course, this is just my opinion after years of running online businesses.
Old 02-07-2005   #4
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
There's a degree of benefit in having anchor text in outbound links, which we don't have unless we're linking to other sites. I've got links pages ranking for items I don't even carry, they're topically related but refer specifically to the merchandise on the sites being linked to. So what if people come in on that page and go off to visit a quality site? Without that link they wouldn't have arrived in the first place, and once they come to the site they may well be interested in some of the items I actually do have my own pages for.

Another benefit to having outbound links is that it adds to establishing the "theme" of our site. It's a give and take proposition, and there's more to be gained by being generous in linking out than by hoarding - including on-topic semantic diversity.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #5
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
I agree Marcia!

However:
Quote:
Unless your site is sooo good that it is going to attract a bunch of cynical webmasters to link to it, your going to need reciprocal links(a link exchange), no matter if you like them or not, if you want to succeed with your online business.
I do not agree with that. I hardly ever do reciprocal link exchange on the sites I optimize and I am doing pretty well, I think
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #6
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
>>hardly ever do reciprocal link exchange

I've got a couple of sites I'm having a problem getting links for, so I've got no choice but to do some reciprocal linking for them. Not that I mind linking out, but I really dislike the process of asking for links.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #7
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road
I agree with both of your posts Marcia

Links pages can bring in extra traffic from some quite obscure phrases.
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #8
lots0

Quote:
However:
Quote:

I do not agree with that. I hardly ever do reciprocal link exchange on the sites I optimize and I am doing pretty well, I think
Mikkel by my reasoning you must be creating pages that are sooo good cynical webmasters want to link to them...

IMO Most all sites that do any ecommerce at all have a very hard time getting links, unless they pay for them or do link exchanges or have their own linking network.

We all know links are important for different reasons, they directly bring us customers and they can help our SE ranking on different levels. I guess it all boils down to how you get them... Cuz you have to have them...
Old 02-07-2005   #9
ferret77

ferret77 will become famous soon enough
I agree

why would anyone want to link to a site that just sells stuff, like say toasters

what are going to put on there toaster reviews, the history of the toaster, toaster setup guides

I work with one commercial site that has lots of unsolicited links but he also has been in business for 20 years, had a site since the beginning of the internet, and is probably one of the largest dealers in a certain type of niche electronics in the US

I mean now that there is a billions of commercial sites, when was last time you linked to a couple of them for nothing

Quote:
Then you most likely buy links are have informational based sites, right?

If you have created e-commerce sites that are link magnets do you care to share?

or tool based sites like digital point
ferret77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #10
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
I agree that a website needs inbound links - for several reasons, not just SEO. I just don't agree that link-exchange is the best way, or even very high on my list of options.

Quote:
Mikkel by my reasoning you must be creating pages that are sooo good cynical webmasters want to link to them...
In fact, yes
It's really a question of being creative enough. Personally I found that for almost any industry you can create viral elements that do actually make people, even cynical webmasters, link to you. You "just" need the right "trigger". Admitted, it's not always easy and it does take time and hard work but the results are just so much better.

If that dosn't work out, if no good ides come up, or we just need more links I usually move on with private networks and link-buying.

Only if there is nothing else to do I start thinking about link-exchanges on a broad scale (that is, outside your network of close friends or associated companies) but I usually never do that myself. You can get workers in some countries, or students in your won, to do this pretty cheap. I don't do it much, but good colleagues of mine say you can get this for about $1-2 a link. Thats not too bad.

I think we all agree on the goal - I am just too lazy to go through too much manual work
Old 02-07-2005   #11
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

I think we posted just about the same time

Quote:
If you have created e-commerce sites that are link magnets do you care to share?
Yes I have created such (or been part of it). And, no, I am sorry I don't share highly creative elements like this. All the value is in the good idea.

However, I can say that I usually operate with two kinds of viral effects:

- Short term (such as single games, special occasion jokes, movies etc)

- Long term (such as quality tools, free apps and long-lasting free services)

Each have their value and place in SEO

Quote:
why would anyone want to link to a site that just sells stuff, like say toasters
That is definately possible - but it all depends on the kind of brand. The difficult part, in my mind, is not coming up with good ideas but coming up with good ideas that match the brand perfectly and one that is realistic to launch within the often limited resourses. I almost guarantee you that there is a GREAT and unused viral element you could be utilize even for the online toaster-market.
Old 02-07-2005   #12
lots0

Quote:
...I just don't agree that link-exchange is the best way...
I think this is one of those “to each their own” kind of things.
I find link exchanges work great for me in some very competitive areas and are inexpensive and cost effective in comparison to paid links, in my experience.

Quote:
I almost guarantee you that there is a GREAT and unused viral element you could be utilize even for the online toaster-market.
I am sure someone will find it.

.... And for the rest of us uncreative types, there are link exchanges...
Old 02-10-2005   #13
aterran
Spider_Feeder

aterran is on a distinguished road
My (rudimentary) Linking Plan

Greetings. Avowed raw newbie here. Just wanted to chime in on the philosophy/method I've been using.

My site is spanking new, no significant traffic yet, so I can't entice quality one-way links. I need some IBLs, so it seems that recips are my only realistic option. I too dislike the idea of 'cold-calling' other webmasters begging for linkage but I've discovered several sites where link-ready webmasters like me post their info and that means I can focus my requests to those with open ears. I scan the listings for relevant (but non-competitive) sites, place the OBL, then contact them with my request for recip. So far, I've gotten about a 50% return within 3-4 days and I keep my OBL alive for 10 days waiting for a response. If no response, the OBL gets dumped and I move on. I try to limit my requests to sites with PR3 or more and with a reasonable amount of IBLs of their own (as listed by Google tool bar). I have two link pages, one for directly relevant sites (gardening related) and one for tangentially relevant sites (shopping for gifts and related items).

So.. tell a rank newbie what you think of this approach, if you don't mind
aterran is offline   Reply With Quote