Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Advertising
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2005   #1
relliot

Thumbs down Findwhat.com fraud clicks issue

We have been using findwhat's service for several weeks on own own server.We have an exact detail of every IP that has ever hit us. Each day, their records show 25-30% more clicks that actually occur. When we question this, we get a response (in email) that not all of there affiliates use referring tags and cannot be tracked. This still doesnt explain why our logs do not match. We had to escalate the issue several times to get a response which ended up a refund, as they explained for, "a questionable affiliate". The traffic departments VM can be reached at 877-274-2525. Has anyone else had problems with findwhat?

Moderator Note: Other telephone number listed was removed as it was not ringing through to Miva.

Last edited by dannysullivan : 11-30-2005 at 02:40 PM. Reason: incorrect telephone number removed
Old 04-05-2005   #2
lobofenris

lobofenris will become famous soon enoughlobofenris will become famous soon enough
Similar experience

Yeah, we've had similar problems with FindWhat. Although they were not nearly as bad as Kanoodle and a couple other PPCs in the level of fraudelent links. As much as I'd like to use some of these second tier PPC networks, fraud is rampant with them. Even though it is much more expensive, at least you now Overture and Google are mostly genuine clicks.

Just my opinion.

Lobo
lobofenris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #3
CaseyC

CaseyC is just really niceCaseyC is just really niceCaseyC is just really niceCaseyC is just really nice
Good to hear

I was glad to read this because we tried out Findwhat a couple of months back and found we were blowing through our daily budget much quicker than we thought we should have and getting no business from that traffic. We really did not think that a 7-10 listing in an only moderately competitive keyword would cause out budget to be blown in only a couple of hours. This sheds new light onto our Findwhat experience.
CaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006   #4
sschmitz99

sschmitz99 is on a distinguished road
Angry Miva ClickFraud

I have seen some extremely high rates (100% in some cases) of clickfraud for particular keywords on Miva. Have seen this for past 18 months and in my opinion Miva is passivly allowing this fraud. If you ask me the biggest problem is the lack of geotargeting. We sell software for real estate agents in USA. For the keyword 'real estate software' we were getting 75% of our traffic from non-enclish speaking countries. Got to wonder what they might use real estate software for realtors in Pakistan?

I suspect that if the clickfraud were eliminated from Miva, they would only get 5% of the traffic they get now!

Avoid them.
sschmitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #5
Webvisitor

Webvisitor will become famous soon enough
I cannot speak to their PPC side but the Pay per call side is fine for me. In December 04 Miva claimed to have cast away the "questionable affiliates" but everywhere you read the traffic is still questionable.
Maybe with this refreshed focus by the SEC on click fraud they (and others) could be answering questions soon?
Webvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #6
mugshot

mugshot is on a distinguished road
$500 - no leads

Decided to test Miva.com (because of their low cpc) for $500...and 3 days later...and $500 gone...yes $500 in 3 days at about $0.20 per click!!

The result: NO LEADS!!! NO SALES! NOTHING!

I'm done wasting time on these supposedly low cost ppc engines

<rant>

They should not even appear at the conferences and try to blow smoke up advertisers tooshies...arg...

</rant>
mugshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #7
nicncher

nicncher is on a distinguished road
I avoid teir three engines now

I was just wondering, has anyone received any unprovoked refunds from Findwhat, Miva, or any other third teir engines? I have received 'service adjustments' from Google for click fraud in the past without having reported it myself.

Thanks
nicncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #8
sschmitz99

Refunds are hard to get

My experience with the folks at Miva has not been that great so far. I have documented fraud on a particular keyword and they are not refunding me the funds.

All the traffic that I see from them withthe keyword "real estate software" comes from bogus doorway pages and such which sell penis enlagement remedies.

We are a legitimate business and at this point I wonder if advertising with them is actually a net negative.

Scott.
Old 02-10-2006   #9
sschmitz99

I got a refund from Miva

Wanted to update on my Miva experience. They recognized 20% of the clicks as fraudulant. The remainder they said were high quality. But since they wanted a satisfied customer they refunded me for all the clicks. I was glad to have the funds back but after a close look at the so called high-quality clicks I realize that I just don't want that kind of traffic. To me 100% of the traffic was low-quality fraudulant clicks.
Old 02-17-2006   #10
LPfister

LPfister is on a distinguished road
We have also had major issue and received refunds from MIVA. To answer nicncher's earlier question, I've never received a "pro-active" refund from MIVA, like you sometimes see with Google and Yahoo. What's bothersome about this is that MIVA has to know that a large portion of their traffic is bogus because everytime I report suspicious activity they have no issues refunding at least a good portion of the clicks in question... I guess at least they do that right
LPfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #11
Appropriator

Appropriator is on a distinguished road
Angry More on MIVA

I left a detailed post on another MIVA thread that you may find interesting. It's at
http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...4817#post74817

Appropriator

Last edited by Marcia : 02-22-2006 at 11:56 PM. Reason: No sigs please, per FAQ
Appropriator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #12
seomike
M·d_Rewrite Guru

seomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to behold
Findwhat should be renamed Findasiantraffic

When we used it thats pretty much all that came to us. Lots of traffic but non qualified and definitely foreign. Not much help when the service the client rendered was strictly US based lol.
seomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #13
farees

farees has a spectacular aura aboutfarees has a spectacular aura aboutfarees has a spectacular aura about
I've had similar issues with FindWhat. While my clients in B2C sector had some success, clients in B2B had absolutely no success at all. Even though the CPC is considerably low, you can easily blow your month’s budget in 1 week.

Clicks received from FindWhat had a conversion rate of ZERO- other than skewing up my KPI's due to enormous number of useless clicks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miva drops the ball on FindWhat or spins it off to some other company.
farees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #14
labaconboy

labaconboy is on a distinguished road
Do you use click fraud software?

I understand that when you lose all of your budget and get 0 sales, it's pretty obvious that there is indeed click fraud going on. Do any of you use click fraud software or outsource the service to monitor click fraud to justify refunds? If so, which brands or companies do you use? I am looking into this issue currently and could use recommendations.
labaconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #15
leftoverjoe
Paid Search Manager

leftoverjoe has a spectacular aura aboutleftoverjoe has a spectacular aura aboutleftoverjoe has a spectacular aura about
We currently use KeywordMax for both conversion tracking and click fraud analysis. In the end though, it's what you do with those potential fraud reports that will result in refunds or no refunds.

Also, don't be too hasty to jump to the conclusion that because there were no sales with the budget spent, there must be click fraud. It is a possibility, but not always the case. Some industries aren't suited for 2nd tier advertising. If we do use MIVA, it's mainly a branding exercise.
leftoverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #16
GaryTheScubaDiver

GaryTheScubaDiver is on a distinguished road
Aka: Miva

I no longer use them because of this same reason. Their US filter doesn't work either.
GaryTheScubaDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #17
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
ABCSearch and Miva/Findwhat

One of our clients insisted that we find a way to make Miva work.
(The CEO saw his main rival there and he just had to be there too)

After spending almost 20k in a year for only a handful of conversions our overwheliming data finally superceded his ego and we pulled him from Miva.

During that time we were able to compile some very telling statistics.
First, it's clear and as everyone has found on this forum, MIVA is ridled with click fraud. Intentional or not, it is there for sure and no amount of cheap "legit" traffic can overcome the cost of the fraud.

Our records show that the largest amount of click fraud or clicks that resulted in NO conversions for our client was generated by the IP address: 67.29.139.199, and I do mean that not one single click of the thousands resulted in a conversion. This IP address is owned by ABCsearch.

ABCsearch is going to be a the next Ad Tech event in San Fran.
I wish I could attend so I could walk right up to them with our reports and see what they have to say.

Perhaps some of you will be attending and can do this?

Notes:
Miva has given refunds without trouble and without much delay.
Miva's interface is great, easy to use and super fast.
Miva's support was responsive, but not very experienced in online marketing.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #18
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Yes Discovery, absearch is pure junk. We experienced the same thing - a couple thousand clicks with not a single conversion.

We didn't get an overwhelming amount of traffic from Miva, but hardly any conversions either. Not worth the time to bother with, for us. We let our account run out and we're done with them.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #19
huebdoo

huebdoo is on a distinguished road
I have found that MIVA (FindWhat + ESpotting), and Business.com had the worst conversion rates out of about 10 CPC engines I was using

One that surprised me was GoClick.com which had a good conversion rate (ROI positive) as well as Enhance and 7search.com (these two broke even)

Mind you all of them had significantly lower ROI returns compared to Google AdWords.
huebdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #20
dmeri

dmeri is on a distinguished road
I have not seen great ROI, but they have been okay. I think the major problem with Miva is their partner list. In most cases, you can pinpoint the poor quality traffic to a hand full of poor partners. Don't they realize that this is hurting them? Check out this site that allows people to rate Miva. Miva Rating

Last edited by dmeri : 04-24-2006 at 03:13 PM.
dmeri is offline   Reply With Quote