Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdSense
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2004   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
AdSense WebSearch Revenue Offset by WebSearch Fees?

Login to your AdSense account and go to the "Search Performance" report. Look at the footer, it reads "Revenue from WebSearch ads may be offset at the end of the month by fees applicable to WebSearch."

Someone want to explain that to me?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004   #2
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
I bet it is a way to discourage potentially fraudulent traffic, but I know nothing about it...
Old 06-25-2004   #3
hulkster
Big Green Guy

hulkster is on a distinguished road
I noticed and asked about this in another forum where someone posted what they heard from Google when they Emailed in about it - sorry I can't find the exact wording.

But basically, it was if you have a TON of searches, but only a few click-thru's, they may offset some of that revenue with the justification being that they provided you a LOT of searches. The thinking was that this would be a very unusual case that would not happen very often ... and the offset would never be negative - i.e. even if you have TONS of searches and NO click-thru's, you would not have negative WebSearch earnings offset against your Adsense earnings.

alek
hulkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004   #4
polarmate
Indian Food Junkie

polarmate is on a distinguished road
quoting from an email from AdSense support:
Quote:
The WebSearch fees that are referenced in the AdSense Terms and Conditions will not be applied to all publishers. Google incurs a cost for each search that is performed through WebSearch, and generally we cover this cost through our portion of the earnings from advertiser clicks. However, publishers with very high numbers of searches in relation to their revenue may have an amount deducted from their final WebSearch earnings. We expect the number of publishers to be impacted by this to be very small.

The WebSearch fees will never be greater than the publisher's WebSearch earnings, so no publisher will owe Google at the end of the month as a result of these fees. Earnings from AdSense for content clicks will not be affected. The adjustment will take place at the end of each month, when earnings are calculated.
polarmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004   #5
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
What is the cost per query for Google? Every time someone clicks on the search button at Google.com, what does it cost them? Do they have a figure for this?
Old 06-25-2004   #6
polarmate
Indian Food Junkie

polarmate is on a distinguished road
They should have an estimate/average at the very least. It shouldn't be difficult to figure out if you have the number of queries performed and their operating costs. Although I doubt they will share that figure with us.
polarmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004   #7
rustybrick

I just did a search a minute ago, based on my calculation it cost them $0.000012. I am just curious if they have a figure for each search.
Old 06-30-2004   #8
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick
Login to your AdSense account and go to the "Search Performance" report. Look at the footer, it reads "Revenue from WebSearch ads may be offset at the end of the month by fees applicable to WebSearch."

Someone want to explain that to me?
Guess they would get annoyed if all your searches used organic results and did not spend any money by clicking on AdWords text.
I thought it was all about the free search!!!
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote