Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2005   #1
verynewbie
verynewbie

verynewbie is on a distinguished road
Using a variety of key phrases..OK or not?

Hi All,

My name is Francisco Aloy and I would like to ask if
using a variety of key anchor phrase is OK?

For example, I have a home page that has one exact and very strong
anchor key phrase. There are also 3 others that are strongly related but
not exact...should I always use the exact (title) key phrase or should
I vary? Like when I post at other forums?

Thank you for your help.

Francisco Aloy
verynewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #2
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
if all your anchor text is the exact same that can flag filters...when links spread naturally often times the anchor text is mixed.
Old 01-18-2005   #3
notredamekid

notredamekid will become famous soon enoughnotredamekid will become famous soon enough
Do you have any specific evidence that search engines do have flags or filters if too many links have identical anchor text?

I know this would be easy for them to do, and I see the logic behind it, but I am asking, does anyone have specific evidence that this has penalized a site in the past? Or does it just make sense that they would?
notredamekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #4
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by notredamekid
Do you have any specific evidence that search engines do have flags or filters if too many links have identical anchor text?

I know this would be easy for them to do, and I see the logic behind it, but I am asking, does anyone have specific evidence that this has penalized a site in the past? Or does it just make sense that they would?
I will PM you one example I can think of...
Old 01-19-2005   #5
ThouShaltSeo

ThouShaltSeo is on a distinguished road
what's filtered /penalized? That anchor text or the entire site?
Example: you are linked as "keyword1" from a bazillion pages. Will just "keyword1" get filtered /penalized or the entire site?
What if your domain is "keyword1.com" and people link to you that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
if all your anchor text is the exact same that can flag filters...when links spread naturally often times the anchor text is mixed.
ThouShaltSeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #6
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThouShaltSeo
what's filtered /penalized? That anchor text or the entire site?
Example: you are linked as "keyword1" from a bazillion pages. Will just "keyword1" get filtered /penalized or the entire site?
most of the time I think the site just will not show up for keyword1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThouShaltSeo
What if your domain is "keyword1.com" and people link to you that way?
then some will link to you using some variety. people link with

www. blah .com
blah.com
blah
bla h .com
and whatever other varieties.
etc

I think there is no single simple answer, just that if you have an unnatural linkage profile eventually it can start to work against you.
Old 01-19-2005   #7
verynewbie
verynewbie

verynewbie is on a distinguished road
Hi Everyone,

I thank you for your input. However, I find it hard to believe the SE's would
penalize anybody for linking with one or several keyphrases.

What about huge companies that have linked a million times using the same keyphrase? Are they being penalized? I doubt it.

I think that as long as the keyphrases are relevant to what the visitor expects to find when clicking it...it'll be OK and there shouldn't be any penalty.

Let's face it, if a page has only got 3 good relevant keyphrases, you have to use those because they are your best keyphrases.

Think about it: It's preposterous to think you need to change your keyphrase every so many links. Why would the SE's penalize you for using the same keyphrase?

I don't think there is the need to change keyphrases or that there is a penalty for using the same one. That argument is completely illogical and doesn't hold water. Otherwise, it would be impossible to do business on the Web.

SEO reminds me of 10 blind men in a room with an elephant; they all think it's this or the other, but nobody really knows what it is.
verynewbie is offline   Reply With Quote