Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2005   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
MSN Search Out of Beta Feb. 1

I was told by a high level Microsoft employee that the beta search will go live on Feb 1.
He also informed me that advertising on MSN will continue to be the two featured listings at the top and the Overture results through the end of the year.
That I find interesting since Microsoft is actively reaching out for people who have search experience to help develop the marketing for their PPC. Guess they have allotted until the end of the year to have everything in place to go live.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #2
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
I am now anxiously awaiting to see if this turns our to be correct!
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #3
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
The beta SERPs do appear to be improving as they continue to tweak things there, but February 1st still sounds a bit optimistic to me. Then again, when has MSFT ever waited to release something until it was polished to near-perfection?
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #4
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
I would not etch it in stone... but it is a statement from a relatively high placed Microsoft employee... if there was one I can try to get a copy of the internal memo ...
I don't make these things up... got the affiliate thing at Google really early too.
Old 01-13-2005   #5
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
Sorry, AW -- didn't intend to make it sound like I doubted you at all. The "optimistic" comment was directed toward MSFT - I think they're being optimistic with such a target date.
Old 01-13-2005   #6
strategicrankings
Seolid.com - Ranking Websites First - since 1999

strategicrankings will become famous soon enough
just released my own website last monday, and having an excellent position on MSN beta for my main target keyphrase!

I'm excited to see what they will get me in terms of traffic once they roll out.
strategicrankings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #7
PR Weaver

PR Weaver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
He also informed me that advertising on MSN will continue to be the two featured listings at the top and the Overture results through the end of the year.
Hi Aussie, do you mean the MSN / Overture contract will terminate end of 2005 ?
PR Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #8
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Weaver
That would be the logical conclusion... though if the contract is end dated for a different date maybe that will be the exact conclusion of the relationship ... or there must be a buy out.
Old 01-13-2005   #9
Opie1Canopie

Opie1Canopie is on a distinguished road
Has there been any talk of MS buying Yahoo!/Overture?

<sorry if OT or already discussed>
Opie1Canopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #10
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie1Canopie
Has there been any talk of MS buying Yahoo!/Overture?

<sorry if OT or already discussed>
Why buy a product that has a bad rap and is losing it position?
Old 01-13-2005   #11
Opie1Canopie

Opie1Canopie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why buy a product that has a bad rap and is losing it position?
True - just thinking of it as a move to take control of the market share in search.
Opie1Canopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #12
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie1Canopie
True - just thinking of it as a move to take control of the market share in search.
All they need to do is offer an agency commission... 5-15% will get a bunch of big agencies really interested... then the rest will follow anyway.
Old 01-13-2005   #13
hiero
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? --Vince Lombardi

hiero is on a distinguished road
Arrow

I'm glad to see them going live. I've had better results with the beta than the present MSN Search. Has anyone else heard that Microsoft will also be launching their own Pay Per Click solution?
hiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #14
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero
I'm glad to see them going live. I've had better results with the beta than the present MSN Search. Has anyone else heard that Microsoft will also be launching their own Pay Per Click solution?
Yes they are going to have their own PPC - why else get into search? And they are already reaching out to people to join the sales team.
Old 01-14-2005   #15
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
I have seen somewhere that it runs out in June 2006...
Old 01-14-2005   #16
PR Weaver

PR Weaver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have seen somewhere that it runs out in June 2006...
I did some search and according this article published on the 14th of july 2003:
"MSN's contract with Overture ends in December 2005. It seems unlikely that MSN will renew the contract - which means going to Google, or Findwhat.com/Espotting"
PR Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #17
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
I did some search and according this article published on the 14th of july 2003:
"MSN's contract with Overture ends in December 2005. It seems unlikely that MSN will renew the contract - which means going to Google, or Findwhat.com/Espotting"
Why go to Google etc??? They would roll out there own PPC sales etc.
Old 01-14-2005   #18
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

Quote:
Why go to Google etc??? They would roll out there own PPC sales etc.
True, but back in July of '03 when an MSN search engine was still vaporware, the thought of them doing their own PPC would've been preposterous.
Old 01-14-2005   #19
hardball

hardball will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategicrankings
just released my own website last monday, and having an excellent position on MSN beta for my main target keyphrase!
Thats the buzz that launched google into the hearts and minds of webmasters.

And it trickled down ..and out ..and up. If MSN gives the "small guy" a shot, its all but over for google.
hardball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #20
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
eh, ain't nothin' all but over for Google. They are still doing a lot of things right.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote