Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Searching Tips & Techniques > Search Toolbars & Utilities
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2005   #1
Chris Sherman
Executive Editor, SearchEngineWatch.com

Chris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the rough
Cool Search Gadgets

Anyone out there a gadget junkie? Don't everyone raise your hand all at once. I'm talking search gizmos here, things like bookmarklets and search plugins that make our searching life easier and more fun.

Today's SearchDay article, Three Cool Search Gizmos, describes simple little tools I find myself using on just about a daily basis. And two of these tools are found at sites that have dozens or hundreds of additional gizmos free for the downloading.

Anyone have other favorite search gizmos? Let's limit this discussion to simple little tools, like bookmarklets, plugins and so on, rather than multipurpose or more complex search tools. I'll pull together a wrapup of these tools for a future issue of SearchDay, crediting all suggestions by forum members that I end up using in the article.
Chris Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005   #2
KeywordMonkey
Relevancy relevancy relevancy

KeywordMonkey is on a distinguished road
Not so much a search gadget as a monitoring / competitor intelligence one, but WatchThatPage.com has a bookmarklet for adding pages to monitor for changes.
KeywordMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #3
Razvan Antonescu
SEO Consultant

Razvan Antonescu is on a distinguished road
Main gadgets/toys/gizmos i use on a daily basis are in a no particular order:

1. Save to Y! My Web button for Firefox http://mysearch.yahoo.com
2. A9 toolbar for Firefox http://www.a9.com
3. Pluck for IE http://www.pluck.com

1. Puts the basis to colaborative search and i think is one of the best future implemented in a search engine. I use it a lot to save addnotate pages and share with my colleagues and friends. The only think that could be added is the ability of searching in yhe sites stored on your personal web. At this moment (corect me if i am wrong) you can only search within the title of the saved page, your note and page's snippet

2. A9 is another toy that i use to save my bookmarks or make addnotations on sites. The only complaint is that in Firefox, the diary field is a litlle buggy putting the same note on different sites

3. Pluck first of all is an rss agregator but it's search function is a must for every SEO. It allows you to make a predifined query and checking it on a regulary basis showing you what results are new. Is very useful if you work on a large project and want to see who competition is doing. Unfortunately runs only on IE.
Razvan Antonescu is offline   Reply With Quote