Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Other Yahoo! Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2005   #1
Chris Sherman
Executive Editor, SearchEngineWatch.com

Chris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the rough
Yahoo Joins Desktop Search Battle

Long anticipated, Yahoo Desktop Search is finally here. I've got an overview of the tool in today's SearchDay article, Yahoo Launches Desktop Search.

Initial impressions:

It's a solid contender, with very strong filtering and preview capabilities. Indexing is fast and painless, covering more than 200 file types. Search is also fast and quite good.

Downsides: Virtually no web search integration, and no indexing or caching of viewed web pages ala Google Desktop. Yahoo says it's working on these and other features, that this is a "living beta" and they want feedback from users.

Anyone had a chance to play around with it yet?
Chris Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005   #2
webleon

the Yahoo Desktop Search can not support folders/filenames in chinese. It indexes them all but i can't reach the files in the search results.
Old 01-11-2005   #3
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Chris - You make Yahoo Desktop Search sound very attractive. I've been a happy user of Google Desktop, but have been wishing there were more user setup and search options. Sounds like Yahoo has addressed some of these concerns.

Does the Yahoo app allow you to choose where your index files reside? I don't like that Google makes this decision for me.

I never thought disk space was going to be an issue because I have a 120-gig drive, but I've cleverly set up the disk with about a 12-gig "C" partition for the operating system and settings, and other partitions for data, and now this approach is backfiring on me.

With XP's system restore features and various desktop indeces, I can see "C" getting kind of crowded. Who would have dreamt? If I could control where the index files went, I'd give Yahoo and some of the other desktop apps a try.

Also, it doesn't sound like there's support yet in any of them for email formats other than Outlook and OE? Some of us have email clients with data in the so-called "standard" mbx format.

I've been longing for desktop search ever since the demise of Lotus Magellan back in the pre-Y2K DOS days. Magellan changed (for a while) how I used my hard disk. It looks like these apps will bring back that flexibility, but I hope I don't need to limit my computing options so I can use them.

Last edited by Robert_Charlton : 01-11-2005 at 02:44 AM.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005   #4
Chris Sherman
Executive Editor, SearchEngineWatch.com

Chris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Does the Yahoo app allow you to choose where your index files reside? I don't like that Google makes this decision for me.

Also, it doesn't sound like there's support yet in any of them for email formats other than Outlook and OE? Some of us have email clients with data in the so-called "standard" mbx format.

I've been longing for desktop search ever since the demise of Lotus Magellan back in the pre-Y2K DOS days. Magellan changed (for a while) how I used my hard disk. It looks like these apps will bring back that flexibility, but I hope I don't need to limit my computing options so I can use them.
Yes, Yahoo Desktop does allow you to specify the location of index files.

No, no support for Eudora or other mail formats yet, which is surprising because the native X1 app on which YDS is built does support those clients. I'd expect this type of support soon.

And like you, I loved Magellan -- the good news is that X1 was actually built by many of the original Magellan team. YDS is not quite the same, but still very good, IMHO.
Chris Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005   #5
cryptblade
SEO, International SEO, Mobile SEO, SEO Stocks

cryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud of
I have not tried Yahoo DTS, but if it's anything like their browser toolbar, then I would not support it. I hated how the toolbar was jammed with all kinds of junk and I could not customize it at all.

Correction - I could only customize it according to my Yahoo account, forcing me to sign in all the time if I wanted my customized toolbar. In my opinion, that holds me prisoner compared to Google's toolbar or Alexa's toolbar, or even MSN's toolbar. Yahoo did not endear me to them.
cryptblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005   #6
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sherman
Yes, Yahoo Desktop does allow you to specify the location of index files.
Thanks. That's great news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sherman
...the native X1 app on which YDS is built does support those clients. I'd expect this type of support soon.
Whoever supports them first is liable to win my loyalty... though loyalty may be fickle when the app is free and it loads in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptblade
I could only customize it according to my Yahoo account, forcing me to sign in all the time if I wanted my customized toolbar.
What's the My Yahoo situation with Yahoo Desktop Search? I'm not a fan of keeping the My Yahoo cookie active either.

I notice that Google Desktop requires that I stay connected to the web when I search my local disk. Though I don't think that Google is snooping, it's not a feature I like. But I definitely wouldn't like it if I were required to keep an active cookie as well. (Come to think about it, maybe I should try zapping my Google cookie to see what happens with Google desktop ).

Last edited by Robert_Charlton : 01-11-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005   #7
lancea

Not quite X1

Over the last couple of months I've tried lots of desktop search engines, and found X1 version 5 beta to be by far the best for my needs - then Yahoo! got caught in the mix. I didn't like the thought of spending $74.95 for something that might be free especially when I was told the initial release would basically be the same product. So I waited - and then MSN Desktop Search came along. It took me a wee while to start using it a lot, but now I do and it's an acceptable substitute for X1 - even better in certain areas. But now the Yahoo! beta has come along and but for one thing I'd possibly switch to it: it doesn't appear to be possible to index anything but LOCAL drives. Even mapped drives aren't shown, and you can't enter a UNC path (which I prefer and which MSN Search supports). So that's the show-stopper for me, and appears to be the only obvious difference between the commercial X1 product and Yahoo!. Is it worth paying $74.95 for network support? Not for me when MSN works very well. If they add network support to Yahoo! then I'll seriously consider it again.