Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2005   #1
infouomo

infouomo is on a distinguished road
Should Yahoo employees search elsewhere?

Nathan at InsideGoogle writes:

"At Yahoo, 68.9% of employees use Yahoo, but a still-strong 29.8% use Google (compare that to Google’s 100% loyalty)...

"What’s the message? Nothing shows problems quite like companies that have products so unpopular that their own employees use don’t them. I’m sure there are plenty of other examples I didn’t point out, but if Yahoo can’t get all of its employees to use Yahoo like Google can, then how passionate are their workers about search? You shouldn’t work at Yahoo if you want to use Google. You should feel your product is the best, or you should find another job."

Seen at: http://google.blognewschannel.com/in...companies-use/
infouomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #2
Mike

Mike is on a distinguished road
I see the logic, but I doubt all ford employees drive fords, etc etc...
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #3
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
search, however, isn't quite like a car. Affordability, for one, comes to mind. Search is free. If you can't even give it away to your employees, there is a problem. Maybe not a big one, but a problem none-the-less.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #4
Johnson

could it not be competition research? i frequently order widgets from our competitors to asses product quality, service level, order fulfilment, e-mail notifications and I encourage my staff to the same
Old 01-04-2005   #5
CatherineHelzerman

According to the article...at Google 100% are using Google, with some percentage using an additional search engine.

---these could be people surfing the competition

However....at Yahoo...only 69% of the employees are using Yahoo search...the rest, presumably, are using another search engine instead of (not in addition to) Yahoo search.

Interesting.
Old 01-06-2005   #6
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
I don't really see anything wrong with employees not restricting themselves to the company search. They certainly shouldn't force the issue, that wouldn't be too good for morale.

Google at its foundations is a search company, but Yahoo hasn't traditionally been that, so not all the employees would be as wrapped up in search as Google's people are. Besides, until last year Yahoo was using Google so a lot probably grew very accustomed to it over time.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #7
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
Google’s 100% loyalty - Freedom of choice.. or has googles army been brainwashed into thinking that their is only one search engine... and i also remember GG posting at WMW all about MSN search and the cool little slide bars

99.99% then

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #8
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, not being aware of what your competition is up to strikes me as being needlessly blinded. Sure, you can have a preference, but I think it would be very easy for someone who worked at a company and only used that companies products to develop an unreasonable degree of bias.

I've worked at companies where there was a very high degree of internal bias towards the products - and they were very good products, I use many even today. But I also know that personally I was shocked to find out just how good the competion was once I was moved away from the constant barrage of internal PR. Yes, I was young, but still...

I think I related a long time ago that I worked my way through law school at McDonalds - much of it at management/head office level, but also a fair amount of burger flipping was involved (company policy - all managers of all levels have to "work on the lines" at least occasionally in order to keep in touch).

One thing that was required of managers was a "comp check" - where you would throw a coat over your uniform and go experience being a customer at the local competition. One of the most important aspects of a competition check wasn't what they were doing wrong - it was what they were doing right.

McDonalds has some experience at being successful in spite of having a LOT of competion. Say what you will about the food, etc, they are not stupid and have been doing this successfully for 50 years or so in one of the most competitive industries around. And they still keep a very close eye on the competition, even when they are way out in front in terms of sales. Think about that.

How would someone who never used another SE figure out what the competition was doing right? What if they decided they really didn't have any competition (boy, that would be the beginning of the end!)?

I think Yahoo keeping the eye on the ball AND their competition is a very good thing for them. Regardless of whether it's planned or not.

Ian
Old 01-06-2005   #9
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
I think the point is being missed, even though it has already been stated above. Let's see if I can bring some clarification to the conversation.

Nobody is suggesting that 100% of Google employees never use any other search engines, just that 100% of their employees DO use Google.

On the other hand, 31% of Yahoo's employees NEVER use Yahoo to search. That strikes me as a real problem, not only of internal perception of their own search, but their own internal marketing efforts.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #10
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
I re-read the article, st0n3y, and you are right - I missed that while skimming through

In that light - I think Yahoo needs to spend some more time on educating their own people.

I use Google as my default search engine, but if someone switched the default to Yahoo (and assuming I didn't switch it back immediately on the principle that you NEVER mess with an IT guys computer settings.. ) I'm pretty sure I would be perfectly happy with Yahoo. It's inertia, mostly (and the fact that an SEO HAS to know what Google is up to).

Microsoft has a policy called, charmingly enough, "eating your own dog food" - in essence, making sure that MS employees use MS products (often in beta form) before it's released to the public. Apparently a couple of MS Exchange rollouts were very interesting internally due to this (what do you mean, my email for the last year is GONE!?).

Regardless of the possibility that might be considered cruel and unusual punishment towards your own employees, at the very least the company gets very good feedback (if you don't fix this, I can't do my job, but you still have to pay me :P ) and helps ensure that the employees are familiar with their own products.

I think Yahoo search is a very good product, and it's a shame they haven't spent more time letting people know that internally. You should be up on what your competition does, but you also need to know what YOU are doing, as well.

Assuming the article is accurate, of course.

Ian