Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2004   #1
eileen kowalski

eileen kowalski is on a distinguished road
Google Indexing 302 Source URLs Under the Targeted Site

Or at least for Google properties. The results for site:froogle.google.com show outside URLs which 302 redirect to Froogle URLs being indexed as part of Froogle, some as "Supplemental Results" and others as regular results. Has anyone seen similar results with non-Google properties?
eileen kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #2
randfish

randfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to all
Very impressive and disturbing find. I've never seen anything like it. I wonder if Froogle could be hijacked from Google in their own search engine. That would probably get them to pay attention to the hijacking issue.
randfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #3
eileen kowalski

I think this is the beginning of a solution to the page hijacking problem. If 302'd URLs are attributed to the target site's index NOT the source's site index, that reduces the incentive for spammers to use 302 redirects to quickly boost their indexed page count. They would just be boosting the indexed page count of the site they wanted to hijack.

Has anyone seen anything similar elsewhere? You would be seeing www.123.com as a result under a search for site:www.abc.com. And www.123.com would be 302 redirecting to www.abc.com. I haven't seen it on anything but Froogle yet.
Old 12-29-2004   #4
ThouShaltSeo

ThouShaltSeo is on a distinguished road
They have known of this bug at least since september.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randfish
Very impressive and disturbing find. I've never seen anything like it. I wonder if Froogle could be hijacked from Google in their own search engine. That would probably get them to pay attention to the hijacking issue.
ThouShaltSeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #5
eileen kowalski

Yes, I know. This 302 "bug" also applies to other engines too, like MSN Beta. I find it interesting that Google seems to have only applied a fix to Froogle only. Has anyone else has seen similar results in their own site index listings or was this a tweak done to keep people from page hijacking Froogle? I just want to know if this an algo shift or not.