Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2004   #1
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
Only 31 results shown for Yahoo

http://www.google.com/search?q=yahoo&start=30&sa=N

Bug or feature?

Filter or penalty?
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #2
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Google is broke

If you then click on the link to get the omitted results, you get this

http://www.google.com/search?q=yahoo...off=1&filter=0

So it's not a feature; it's either another one of their attempts at gaslighting us or it's a bug. Looks like Google is broke again.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
I don't know I get a different result.. it still states 283 million references and the first link pushes you to 30-40.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #4
Dave Hawley
Please remove heart from sleeve before replying

Dave Hawley will become famous soon enoughDave Hawley will become famous soon enough
Good find, bug is my thought.
Dave Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004   #5
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
Must be fixed by now since I am seeing only normal results.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004   #6
NFFC

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
Only 44 results here now.
Old 12-18-2004   #7
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
What I'm getting here

Quote:
Results 1 - 10 of about 284,000,000 for yahoo
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...GLD:en&q=yahoo

NFFC:
Quote:
Only 44 results here now.
Must be a filter. You are being filtered.
Old 12-18-2004   #8
Dave Hawley
Please remove heart from sleeve before replying

Dave Hawley will become famous soon enoughDave Hawley will become famous soon enough
Mine also reads that, but there are only about 40 results being shown. That is, nothing after page 4.
Dave Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004   #9
Marcia

Doesn't go anyplace here either once you get to 40 unless you click on this

Quote:
In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 38 already displayed.
If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included.
At first I'm seing a lot of pages with a different character set - like Japanese, I think - but even though I'm being a little facetious, when you think about it Yahoo has an awful lot of close_to_mirror sites out there with a lot of static content that's pretty much alike.
Old 12-18-2004   #10
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
I'm also seeing only 33 of about 284,000,000.

Weird about all those Japanese pages, "SEO" used to be full of them too, couldn't be down to keyword density, could it ;-)
glengara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004   #11
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
Hmmmm.. I am seein 49 out of 284,000,000 but it is clearly a filter of some sort:
http://www.google.com/search?q=yahoo...n&lr=&safe=off&filter=0 puts the Yahoo US searches that have been filtered out back in, replacing the Japanese sites on the first few hundred pages for the most part and

http://www.google.com/search?q=yahoo...n&lr=&safe=off&filter=1 reverts back to showing only 49 results before you have to click to see more.

But what on earth could they be filtering that would give this sort of results?
Old 12-18-2004   #12
MrMackin

MrMackin is a jewel in the roughMrMackin is a jewel in the roughMrMackin is a jewel in the rough
one would think that Y would make a call on this

They should ask to be #1
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=yahoo&r=67

Princeton University must have something aginst Stanford
MrMackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #13
Adam C
Courses for horses

Adam C will become famous soon enough
filter=0

It seems there was some a significant change at Google on Thurs/Fri last week. Several forums have got long Update-style threads going on.

Many people have lost a load of rankings. Someone at Digital Point referenced adding filter=0 to the query URL brings their site back into the SERPs.

New filters?
Adam C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #14
sean

not new

This is only an extension of what has been going on the past several months.

I would not be suprised if the entire index eventually disappeared into filter=0.

Okay, maybe surprised, but not shocked.
Old 12-23-2004   #15
NFFC

hmmmmmmm

And just in from DaveN..

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22yahoo.%2Bcom%22

7 results.
Old 01-03-2005   #16
GoogleGuy
Unofficial Representative

GoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of light
I asked someone about this..

I asked an engineer about this. It's an interaction in our code with how we do result crowding (result crowding is when you do a search like [dell] and we show two results from dell.com, with a "More results from www.dell.com" link under the second, indented result). Since one of the things "&filter=0" does is turn off result crowding, that's why you see all the results if you add that parameter.

The results are all available by adding "&filter=0" to the url, or you can add
site:yahoo.com
or
-site:yahoo.com
to the query to get the ondomain/offdomain results.

From talking to the engineer about this, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't occur very often. If you want all the results, it's just a mouse click to get the results without result crowding (by clicking on the "repeat the search" hyperlink that adds "&filter=0"), or to get to the onsite results (by clicking on the "More results from yahoo.com" link below the second search result). Either mouse click should give plenty of results that way.

Regards,
GoogleGuy

BTW, I'm not at work this week, so I might not be checking forums as much as I usually do. Some workplace trivia: at many businesses, if your vacation time builds up too much, it's possible to lose vacation time unless you take a little time off.

Last edited by GoogleGuy : 01-03-2005 at 06:54 PM.
GoogleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #17
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Thanks for that GG. Always interesting to get more insight into the whys and wherefors of Google.

I can understand the use of result crowding in normal searches but it seems to me that in site:searches it should be turned off by default?
Old 01-03-2005   #18
GoogleGuy
Unofficial Representative

GoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of light
Happy to help. site: does turn off result crowding--that's why you get lots of results if you do mydomain site:mydomain.com. Either site: or &filter=0 will turn off result crowding, I believe..
GoogleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #19
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

On a similar topic GG here
is a search where the site stores.hsprofessional.com/LAdelman/StoreFront.bok shows up at #11 with the browser preferences set to 20, but if you set the Browser preferences down to 10 the page totally disappears from the SERPs ??
Old 01-03-2005   #20
Marcia

Mel, the page you're pointing out is on a subdomain of the site. Are there also pages out there from the site as a whole for the search term that aren't on that particular subdomain?

There are some sites that get multiple listings for the same identical search term at Yahoo utilizing subdomains, but I haven't seen that happening at Google.