Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2004   #1
The Broker
Will work for PR

The Broker is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up MSN Toolbar Suite Beta LIVE?

Okay am I the last one on earth to find this or the first? I installed it this morning and its awesome.

http://beta.toolbar.msn.com/

Desktop search, MSN beta search, highlighting, form filling, near me searching from the toolbar, realtime search from the windows taskbar.

Lookout google, MSN is gonna strike a killing blow this coming year to google.

Darin

Last edited by Lex : 12-13-2004 at 07:34 PM. Reason: removed signature link
The Broker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #2
bobmutch
seocomapny.ca|Project Support Open Source|Top 40 Dirs rated by Inbound Link Quality

bobmutch has a spectacular aura aboutbobmutch has a spectacular aura about
I am just one of those people that happens to like just about everything about Beta Search MSN. While I am still a diehard Googler since I converted from AltaVista about 5 years ago I have to say I am liking alot of things Search MSN is doing. The toolbar is no exception!

I know this is pickly but I like the fact that I can change the width of the search field on the MSN bar. I also like the Highlight Viewer. The Popup Blocker is nice but who doesn't have than these days. Now where is the free spyware scanner? Seach MSN seems to be doing almost everything right. If they can bring the relevancy of there index up some what they should have no problem displacing Yahoo. As for as Google. I am still a diehard Googler and I have no reason to change at this time. Even if all my keywords Rank better in MSN Search that doesn't move me. Google still rules!
bobmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #3
The Broker
Will work for PR

Yeah I hear ya. The problem with google is, it IS the engine I pick first when I want to see HOW MUCH of something is out there. When I know I want to search through tons of listings to see if something is there.

BUt to find something relevant, google has been losing that edge with me for months now.
Old 12-13-2004   #4
The Broker
Will work for PR

Oh and an update on relevance in MSN beta search. Last night I searched for Dominos Pizza and not one listing was dominos. So I send over the "help make us better" message and today, WHAM!

Dominos.com is number one. Amazing. Who said Se's can't control results huh?
Old 12-14-2004   #5
type0
Founder and Senior Web Architect

type0 is on a distinguished road
Desktop Search or Toolbar Suite?

Here's the message I get:
"Warning! Your browser does not meet the minimum system requirements. You are recommended to use the MSN Toolbar Suite with Internet Explorer 5.01 or later."
I thought the announcement was about Desktop Search? All I see is the MSN Toolbar Suite. I get it! They're integrating it into the OS, no the browser. Which one is it?

Just give me the desktop search feature. I don't want all the other garbage. And if it did come seperate, just add it to my desktop or taskbar, don't embed it into IE. I don't use IE. I use XP.

I'll pass.
type0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #6
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
download the tool bar but you don't have to use it to get desktop search. I use Firefox browser which is not compatible with the MSN toolbar. Fine for me I don't want another toolbar. But I still get the desktop feature.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #7
The Broker
Will work for PR

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0n3y
download the tool bar but you don't have to use it to get desktop search. I use Firefox browser which is not compatible with the MSN toolbar. Fine for me I don't want another toolbar. But I still get the desktop feature.
I made a plug in for MSN beta search NEAR ME for Firefox. Grab it here if ya want

http://www.lasvegasloan.info/plugins/