Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Other Yahoo! Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2004   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Yahoo Announces Desktop Search Plans

It's no longer rumor -- Yahoo says it will release its own desktop search tool based on X1's technology. I've got a long write-up today on the blog: Yahoo Details Desktop Search Plans; Ask Jeeves & MSN Launch This Month. Thoughts, comments, contributions, other resources? Please post away!
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004   #2
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Thoughts? One bandwagon Yahoo! left a while to jump onto!!

More importantly, it shows that Google are dictating terms for search and personal advertising, and Microsoft seem to be doing a better job of keeping up on the application side.

However, it's the mobiles market where things are really going to get heated...
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #3
KeywordMonkey
Relevancy relevancy relevancy

KeywordMonkey is on a distinguished road
Blast from the past

Historical sidepoint: Yahoo-owned AltaVista actually offered a desktop search tool back in 1997 called AltaVista Personal Indexer - you can read some old commentary and actually download a copy here (disclaimer: I haven't downaloed this EXE, but did just find a copy of it on a neglected PC at a client site running Windows '98).

I wodner how the new desktop search offerings compare...

Addded: it covers normal files and Internet Explorer mail, Netscape mail, Exchange mail (including Windows Messaging and Outlook mail) and Eudora. Pretty good coverage for back then.

Last edited by KeywordMonkey : 12-16-2004 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Added data
KeywordMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #4
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
yer i would have loved to be a beta tester of that, will have to play with X1 instead oh hum ...

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote