Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Web Analytics & Tracking
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2004   #1
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
Let's talk about shopping cart conversion..

I'd like to share ideas on shopping cart conversion. I am curious to see what is the 'norm'.

1. What is your typical abandonment rate of your cart? (Out of the people who put simething in teh cart, how many people leave without finishing the purchase?)

2. What have you done to combat this? What works? What doesn't?
grnidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #2
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
I have one cart that has a 70% abandonment rate and another that has around a 50% abandonment rate.

As far as how we combat it, on one site, we place a cookie so when someone comes back to the site, they are offered a pop up window that tells the person they have something in their cart, and if they finish the purchase, they get 10% off their cart. That has worked well, we have a 13% conversion rate from that pop up alone. I think that could go up if we switch to dhtml to get around the pop up blockers out there.

Free shipping works to lower abandonment rates if people don't have to do anything to get it. If people have to type in a code, we have had less successful results.
Old 12-05-2004   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnidone
I have one cart that has a 70% abandonment rate and another that has around a 50% abandonment rate.

As far as how we combat it, on one site, we place a cookie so when someone comes back to the site, they are offered a pop up window that tells the person they have something in their cart, and if they finish the purchase, they get 10% off their cart. That has worked well, we have a 13% conversion rate from that pop up alone. I think that could go up if we switch to dhtml to get around the pop up blockers out there.

Free shipping works to lower abandonment rates if people don't have to do anything to get it. If people have to type in a code, we have had less successful results.
great insights... also your numbers seem about the norm - 50% abandonment is oft quoted - and as you have very smartly implemented everything that can be done to win them back helps improve that number.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #4
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

OK...So. I guess this is a topic nobody gives a d*mn about. I was hoping to get some more insight about this.
Old 12-06-2004   #5
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnidone
OK...So. I guess this is a topic nobody gives a d*mn about. I was hoping to get some more insight about this.
Try this article
http://www.clickz.com/experts/crm/tr...le.php/2245891

Online marketers stand to lose as much as $63 billion due to shopping cart abandonment in 2004.

On average, 75% of online shoppers abandon their shopping carts.

47% of ebusinesses do not know their shopping cart abandonment rate.
Old 12-06-2004   #6
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

Quote:
Placing a thumbnail image of the product increases conversions by as much as 10 percent.
That is something I didn't know and never would have thought of...although I haven't ever seen a cart with that.
Old 12-06-2004   #7
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
big one NO hidden cost if the product say 9.99 when they go to checkout make sure that the price does not go up... transport 5.99 + vat 17.5% etc

They hate that !!

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #8
Rumbas
European

Rumbas is on a distinguished road
Gotta agree with Dave here - personally I get soo pissed if the cart suddenly adds additional costs to the final check out page.
Rumbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #9
mrtim

mrtim is on a distinguished road
Yep - If i have to enter name address etc. before i've even been told how much postage/shipping will be then i'll just bail. And if I am told and don't like the cost, away I'll go.
mrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #10
eZeB

eZeB is on a distinguished road
follow up with abandoned carts

Oscommerce has modules which can track this -- give browsers the option of registering (for 10% off their purchase) or not registering. If they register, and do not complete the purchase they automatically receive an email which asks if there is a problem, how can I help etc. etc. Some people do respond.

Maybe one third to half my sales come from following up and keeping in touch.
eZeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #11
Buddha

Buddha is on a distinguished road
eZeB,

I have thought about implementing your idea before and tried it a few times as a test. But many people that go through the cart and input their email, yet don't fiinish, don't want to be contacted if they haven't given you permission.

Have you had any negetive responses like, "why are you emailing me?" or "i didn't opt-in?"

The auto-responder follow up is a good idea, but how do you do it tactfully?
Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #12
eZeB

eZeB is on a distinguished road
follow up email

My terms of service contain a little note about this. In addition, when people register there is a checkbox (default is selected) for our newsletter and 'other' announcements or something to that effect. Most people appreciate it and reply with kind notes.

I also give the option of not registering so I don't get their email unless they complete the purchase and have no way of tracking abandoned carts from these browsers.

The email has an unsubscribe link at the bottom. I do it quite regularly and haven't run into any problems.

A number of quite large online companies who also have automatic followup scripts and I don't recall agreeing.
eZeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #13
AussieWebmaster

Follow ups are a great tool, even after sales (the old adage it is easier to upsell a customer than find a new one holds true).

I also have sued OSCommerce and it is a great open source product with a great support community.
Old 12-09-2004   #14
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
some simple things that people forget :

provide :

a remove item button for each item
go back to shopping
give customers a choice of shipping options
give customers a choice of payment options
allow customers to purchase without registering first
offer one click shopping with registration after the first sale is COMPLETED
offer Toll free Number to place order Via the phone
make links clear to things like security, privacy etc
the proffesional internet buyers use the ENTER key, handle that keypress properly
offer delivery addresses ..

DaveN

Last edited by DaveN : 12-10-2004 at 05:14 AM.
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote