Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2004   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
One Customer Per Landing Page

Though they are not going to implement this before the holidays and start the Florida panic of last season... Google is going to restrict the number of affiliates that can sned traffic to the same place (tracking/affiliate code not counted).

I dropped this into an earlier thread but since we are fast approaching the end of the year I hope affiliate marketers and the like are fully aware of this soon to happen event.
The criteria for who gets the ad will be based on rank (CTR and CPC)... though back-ups will be in place for when the spend is gone for one so another can come in etc.

Last edited by dannysullivan : 01-06-2005 at 11:21 AM. Reason: inserted link to earlier thread
Old 12-06-2004   #2
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
This is going to have a serious impact on AdWords advertisers that use this as their biggest source of traffic. I hope someone is taking note and getting ready for this change over.
Old 12-07-2004   #3
GoLinks
Professional Weboholic

GoLinks is on a distinguished road
AussieWebmaster: Will this to be determined by URL?
Is there any speculated behaviour towards URL redirects?
(e.g. first affiliate links to www.merchant-site.com while second
links to www.merchant-domain.com that simply
301/302 to www.merchant-site.com)
Old 12-07-2004   #4
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
I am sure it is going to be hard to police that rule.
Old 12-07-2004   #5
McFox

McFox is on a distinguished road
Can someone please explain this for me? The shock has left me unable to process information.

Does this mean that ALL affiliate advertising will be dropped from Adwords?

Thanks

McF
Old 12-07-2004   #6
powerofeyes

powerofeyes is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Does this mean that ALL affiliate advertising will be dropped from Adwords?
No there has been some rumour saying only one affiliate per Merchant or per landing page,

This thread ( http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum81/3886-2-10.htm ) discusses that,

And this is Adwords Advisor's reply in that thread,

Quote:
...as was mentioned in my intro to WebmasterWorld, I'm not really able to comment on AdWords business plans, or what the future may hold for AdWords.
Such things are not at all a part of my realm here at AdWords, and as a consequence I have no first-hand knowledge on the subject of affiliate advertising that you've inquired about.
What I can offer is this: I'll happily pass your concern on, verbatim, in the report that I send out to many folks here at Google each week. A pretty high percentage of the readers of this report are the decision makers to whom you'd want your concerns known....

With all of that said, and still holding true, I did go looking for more information, and was given this info to post:
Google’s affiliate policy has not been changed. This means that your approved affiliate AdWords ads will continue to run on Google.com. Please be assured that we have no current plans to completely block affiliates from AdWords. If we do make any changes to our affiliate policy, you’ll be notified.

I can certainly understand the strong feelings this topic engenders, and suggest that it probably best to not pay a great deal of attention to rumors, as they can easily get out of hand. And, as stated above, if the policy were to change, advertisers will be notified.
Old 12-07-2004   #7
McFox

McFox is on a distinguished road
Thanks powerofeyes, that helps clear things up a bit.

Much appreciated.

McF
Old 12-07-2004   #8
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLinks
AussieWebmaster: Will this to be determined by URL?
Is there any speculated behaviour towards URL redirects?
(e.g. first affiliate links to www.merchant-site.com while second
links to www.merchant-domain.com that simply
301/302 to www.merchant-site.com)
I was told that they were going to limit the ads to one per landing page - and this would be decided based on bid position (when the highest meets its spend another would then get to take its place) not sponsor vs affiliate...

as far as redirects go I have no idea as that was not covered... though since popups are not allowed they may filter redirects also - that others who use redirects would be more savy with.

This is not a rumor ... but everyone can feel free to question this and wait for the roll out in the New Year to realize it wasn't... I am just giving a heads up.
Old 12-07-2004   #9
AussieWebmaster

The information has been hotly discussed at WebMasterWorld and they have just about the same input as has been discussed here.
It is agreed it is happening (well in most cases - there are still those that need it to be fully accredited to Google - and there was mention of a document from Europe being available there soon).
Old 12-07-2004   #10
ephricon
<!-- Insert Clever Tagline Here --!>

ephricon has a spectacular aura aboutephricon has a spectacular aura aboutephricon has a spectacular aura about
Pardon my general ignorance on the subject here... but does this effect only those AdWords advertisers who are running ads that link directly to the *parent* company's site? I.E. does it solely affect 3 seperate advertisers all running ads that link to www.companysite.com with some sort of ?ref=advertisername tracking code?

Surely they won't be able to police all the ads to go to www.affiliateswebsite.com and then link to the *parent* company's site???

As of current I don't run any affiliate campaigns and know very little about them, but this seems like some pretty significant news...
Old 12-07-2004   #11
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephricon
Pardon my general ignorance on the subject here... but does this effect only those AdWords advertisers who are running ads that link directly to the *parent* company's site? I.E. does it solely affect 3 seperate advertisers all running ads that link to www.companysite.com with some sort of ?ref=advertisername tracking code?

Surely they won't be able to police all the ads to go to www.affiliateswebsite.com and then link to the *parent* company's site???

As of current I don't run any affiliate campaigns and know very little about them, but this seems like some pretty significant news...
Not so ignorant you have the concept in full.
Old 12-08-2004   #12
ephricon

ephricon has a spectacular aura aboutephricon has a spectacular aura aboutephricon has a spectacular aura about
Thanks so much. So in essence this would effect only those affiliate marketers who run AdWords ads that link directly to the site providing the actual product/service?

As a general thought, I would think it would be quite a difficult business model to run successfully when the only service provided in the affiliate process is from AdWords link to company's site. Surely if it were highly profitable - such as being paid $1 per visitor brought to the site and my AdWords average 90 cents per click than everyone would be doing it... Even in the likely event that commissions are only a result of sales - if I could figure that 1% of my referrals turn into a sale, and lets say a sale gets me $100 commission (for simple math's sake) than $100 x 1% = $1. If I can run ads for anything less than $1 per click and keep that same conversion rate than I win.

Is this the general thought process of those running this sort of campaign? Again its new to me but I would venture that for many others it is not. I do all my work in organic SEO but like to keep up with the latest happenings in PPC, etc.

I would imagine the competition is pretty tough... Perhaps the real success factors are proper evaluation of the numbers and the ability to write convincing AdWords copy so as to attract more visitors at a lower CPC.
Old 12-08-2004   #13
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephricon
I would imagine the competition is pretty tough... Perhaps the real success factors are proper evaluation of the numbers and the ability to write convincing AdWords copy so as to attract more visitors at a lower CPC.
signing up for the best programs and solid keyword targeting (doing deep keyword research to find good words that are under market value) are probably rather important too.
Old 12-08-2004   #14
AussieWebmaster

SEObook has the other main elements - but yes the growth of affiliate marketing by savy AdWords people has been around for awhile and the competition for it has grown so large that other listings are being pushed out and thus the need for Google to address it.
Old 12-08-2004   #15
Dave Hawley
Please remove heart from sleeve before replying

Dave Hawley will become famous soon enoughDave Hawley will become famous soon enough
AW, are you saying we should ignore the Adwords Advisor's statement
Quote:
Please be assured that we have no current plans to completely block affiliates from AdWords. If we do make any changes to our affiliate policy, you’ll be notified.
I can certainly understand the strong feelings this topic engenders, and suggest that it probably best to not pay a great deal of attention to rumors, as they can easily get out of hand. And, as stated above, if the policy were to change, advertisers will be notified.
Do you have anything concrete? You seem adamant that this is going to happen but it seems to only be based on rumour.
Old 12-08-2004   #16
AussieWebmaster

This is going to happen... my ad rep at Google and the entire sales staff (well the high end client ones at least) were told about it and told to warn their advertisers...
there has to be a few other serious spenders here that could get a confirmation.
This is going to happen... no rumor... less they are using the fact that I moderate here as well to fly a trial ballon on me... in which case I throttle back the 300k a month and give Overture a chance to run with a larger spend.
Old 12-08-2004   #17
Dave Hawley
Please remove heart from sleeve before replying

Dave Hawley will become famous soon enoughDave Hawley will become famous soon enough
Did they give a date?
Old 12-08-2004   #18
AussieWebmaster

All that I was told was it would not been done before the holiday season.
Old 12-09-2004   #19
ephricon

Since they are only allowing one advertiser per landing page - how would this affect scenarios that are not affiliate-based, but still involve more than one AdWords account sending traffic to the same page???

How would this actually happen? I have a small client that I run an SEM campaign for that is 90% SERPs and 10% PPC. In my contract it states that I will contribute $X per month on the AdWords campaign and manage this amount contributed so as to acheive the most possible resulting leads (to the best of my ability). For a while this was the only money being spent.... However, in the last couple of months the client has done very well and gotten alot of business, made some new hires and wants to continue to be aggressive. I'm not a real experienced PPC guy so I shy away from managing real large dollars, so he opened an account he manages himself. Thus, two accounts, both sending visitors to the exact same URL.
Old 12-09-2004   #20
seobook
I'm blogging this

I think it is per keyword.