Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2004   #1
lots0

From Google's Fact & Fiction page:

Quote:
Fact: There is almost nothing a competitor can do to harm your ranking or have your site removed from our index.
The Nigitrude Ultramarine SEO contest that SearchGuild promoted, proved in public, beyond any doubt, that anyone can harm your site in google, if they know how. In fact there are several ways (not just one) to accomplish this.

Just because something is written on a google page does NOT make it a fact.
I am sure that another public demonstration of this google “glitch”could be arranged, if people really wanted to see it. But to be honest, the fewer people that know how this is acomplished the better.

If google were to admit that their algo is flawed and just about any page can be hijacked or removed from their index by ANYONE, that knows how, I think would the end of google as the dominate SE, so they keep their mouth shut and keep hoping that they can fix these problems before they do become common knowledge...

Last edited by dannysullivan : 11-30-2004 at 09:05 AM. Reason: removed response relating to thread this post was originally in
Old 11-29-2004   #2
bobmutch
seocomapny.ca|Project Support Open Source|Top 40 Dirs rated by Inbound Link Quality

bobmutch has a spectacular aura aboutbobmutch has a spectacular aura about
lots0: Please post the link and message number that shows "beyond any doubt, that anyone can harm your site in google" as far as inbound links is concerned.

My statement was concerning your comment that "Some links are more valuable in a ranking sense than others, some can even hurt your ranking in google." Not about hyjacking pages.
bobmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #3
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Bob, sites are being hurt with redirect hijacking.

Come on, Google. Fix it!!
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #4
bobmutch
seocomapny.ca|Project Support Open Source|Top 40 Dirs rated by Inbound Link Quality

Marcia: I may of missed the topic but weren't we discussing links and Googles action. My statement and I think Dave's was also (and so was Dave's quote from Googles page), that no inbound links can harm you as far as penalties from Google. Though this may not have been directly stated that was the context of the discuss. At least that is what I though we were discussing : )

The statement "Some links are more valuable in a ranking sense than others, some can even hurt your ranking in google" was took to me to mean you will get your rankings "hurt" by an action from Google. I even noted that I was not discussing the hijacking pages of which I am aware will hurt your Rankings : )

Chris_D: "Yes - I believe that RECIPROCAL links to a 'bad neighbourhood' - WILL harm your rankings. i.e. you link to them and they link to you. i.e. the linking strategy is under the webmaster's control as it is reciprocal - and it is the OUTBOUND link from your site to the bad neighbourhood which causes the problem." Of course it will. I don't think any one will disagee that doing a link with a banned site can't cause you problems.

It was not reciprocal links that was being discussed. It was links that you have no control over, inbound links.
Old 11-29-2004   #5
lots0

I hope the mods don't mind...
here is the URL to the nigritude ultramarine contest thread,
http://www.searchguild.com/tpage10157-0.html

bob your going to have to review the entire thread, there is not just "one" post that proves of disproves, it is a series of posts. And in an effort to protect the innocent from the bad guys most of the details on how it was done have been edited.

If you don't believe me, PM a URL you own and you alone controll (I will verify that you own it) and I will make that URL disapear from the google index right before your eyes...
Old 11-29-2004   #6
lots0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmuch
The statement "Some links are more valuable in a ranking sense than others, some can even hurt your ranking in google" was took to me to mean you will get your rankings "hurt" by an action from Google.
Well thats not what I meant.
But if I were to be technically accurate and a little anal.... It can be a link from another page that “hijacks” your page.

Last edited by lots0 : 11-29-2004 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2004   #7
bobmutch

lots0: Ya I misunderstood the meaning of your posted then and you misunderstand the meaning of mine. I have read about the hijacking of pages and don't doubt that at all. There is no doubt about it when you get a page hijacked it will hurt your ranking : )

Last edited by bobmutch : 11-29-2004 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2004   #8
lots0

Quote:
Ya I misunderstood the meaning of your posted then and you misunderstand the meaning of my.
No problem, bob :-), I hope we are both on the same page now.
Old 11-29-2004   #9
bobmutch

Lots0: Ya we are on the same page. Now long as that page doesn't get hijacked we will be ok : )
Old 11-29-2004   #10
lots0

bobmuch OK, just so I understand, you DON'T want me to hijack the URL you just PM'ed me?

cuz its all set up and waiting for googlebot to show up...

<added>
bob I got your PM, I have pulled everything back.

Last edited by lots0 : 11-29-2004 at 04:16 PM. Reason: New stuff
Old 11-29-2004   #11
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by lots0
bobmuch OK, just so I understand, you DON'T want me to hijack the URL you just PM'ed me?

<added>
This made me laugh.

To those thinking of becoming SEW Forum members, don't let lots0 scare you. They are just pretend fighting. Our members get along like two peas in a pod.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #12
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

<added>
Bummer!

I was sitting on the edge of my chair in anticipation with my fists and teeth tightly clenched. It was getting as exciting as waiting to watch a rocket get launched!
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #13
bobmutch

Marcia: We are still going to do it. Just not my most important page on the site : ) Its just a PR3 page that I replace with a differnet page. Also Lots0 cost $1025US a hour so he will be taking donations via PayPal to do this.

We will let you know when it is done and will post the link.

After we have posted proof we will all call on Google, Mr Cutts and our faviour visitor GoogleGuy to come to the rescue and fix it.

Last edited by dannysullivan : 11-30-2004 at 08:56 AM. Reason: removed request for thread split, as this has been done
Old 11-29-2004   #14
lots0

Rustybrick,
My writing style my be a little aggressive, but bob and I were not fighting, in fact we were collaborating on a little project to demonstrate to bob the page hijacking process. Sorry if the posts seemed a little curt, but you should have been able to tell from the posts that there was also a conversation going on in PM. :-)

Bob changed his mind about the page to be used is all.

Scaring people is not my style, correcting false statements is.

Marcia,
Sorry for the disappointment, but hold your horses, we may still do it.
Judging from the PM’s I have received, there seems to be quite a bit of interest in this.

bobmuch,
if you still want to do this, pick a URL and PM again, but remember what I told you, the page will be gone and most likely the page will never recover in google. It also needs to be a page that ranks for any keyword or key phrase (non-competitive keyword is best for this test), so we can track/monitor the hijacking process.

If I am going to do this in public I want to gain some knowledge from it. I only have so many untraceable throwaway domains...

Quote:
Also Lots0 cost $1025US a hour so he will be taking donations via PayPal to do this.
bob is joking about the donations.
No donations needed or wanted.

Last edited by lots0 : 11-29-2004 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 11-29-2004   #15
bobmutch

Lots0: Ok I have just pm you the page. I will not reveal the page for now but it has PR and is in the first page SERPs for a key phrase that gets over 1mil results on Google.

Last edited by bobmutch : 11-29-2004 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2004   #16
lots0

Ok bob I'll set it up first thing in the morning, I don't have the time right now.

It would have been best not to let anyone besides just us know the URL till after the hijack happened, just to avoid unwanted interference. But its a little late for that now, so I guess we can just muddle ahead and hope no one messes around with it.
Old 11-29-2004   #17
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
?Rustybrick,
My writing style my be a little aggressive, but bob and I were not fighting, in fact we were collaborating on a little project to demonstrate to bob the page hijacking process. Sorry if the posts seemed a little curt, but you should have been able to tell from the posts that there was also a conversation going on in PM. :-)
I know you were not fighting, I was just trying to lighten up the thread.

Last edited by dannysullivan : 11-30-2004 at 08:58 AM. Reason: removed part about posts being offtopic, as no longer needed due to thread split
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #18
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Per requests, I've now split this thread off from Google Say Not Reporting All Backlinks.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #19
lots0

Here we Go!

Ok, it is all done.
We are now just waiting for googlebot to show up and index the hijacked page. With luck we should be able to post some results in 72 hours or less.

SIDE NOTE:
This is an experiment, intened to demonstrate, in public, a "glitch" in googles programing, No one is making any money on this (at least I am not) and all parties involved (except google) have agreed to this.

I will not hijack any page, for anyone, for any reason, or for any sum of money less than 1.5 Million USD... So quit PM'ing me, unless you have 1.5 Million USD you want to give me...

Besides, if you keep up with this thread, I will spell out the steps involved for everyone to read and everyone will be able to employ page hijacking themselves, if they wish, after this experiment has concluded.

I am doing this in an effort to get google to correct this problem of theirs. I figure that if everyone knows how to do this (even the bad guys) google will be forced to fix it.
Old 11-30-2004   #20
bobmutch

lots0: "Besides, if you keep up with this thread, I will spell out the steps involved for everyone to read and everyone will be able to employ page hijacking themselves, if they wish, after this experiment has concluded."

Slow down cowboy. You don't want to spell it out to everyone. Lets make it happen and give GoogleGuy a change to drop in and give us the unofficial Google responce. Yahoo is rolling out a fix, Google can let us know what they are doing. At least give GoogleGuy a change to respond before you expose it.

Last edited by bobmutch : 11-30-2004 at 11:45 PM. Reason: er I ain't say'n