Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2004   #1
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
MSN search goes live...when??

I was under the impression that earlier reports had the MSN search being planned for release in December 2004. It had me wondering if MS would be considering timnig the launch of MSN search with Chicago SES, and ride on the wave of search publicity online.

However, from various reports about the webmaster forums claiming issues with MSN search relevancy, I'm wondering if I've gotten mixed up on the actual projected launch date??
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I heard January.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004   #3
iamrussell

iamrussell is on a distinguished road
I've read numerous reports about the MSN Beta and they all say different things about the launch date. One said December, others have said before March '05 and another said Winter '05. And the funny part is that they're all quoting MSN representatives.
iamrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004   #4
I, Brian

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the comments - I've found the Wall Street Journal talking about integration with the main MSN site within January 2005. Be nice to see that happen.
Old 11-26-2004   #5
lots0

I don't know when M$N is going to bring their new SE to production, but I do hope they hurry.

Has anyone (besides me) had any problems with the new M$N bot?
Old 11-26-2004   #6
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
The results need a lot more work before they can realistically go live with this product.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004   #7
iamrussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
The results need a lot more work before they can realistically go live with this product.
Have you seen the results they're using now?
Old 11-26-2004   #8
iamrussell

I just went to beta.serch.msn.com and the live search came up (search.msn.com). I hit refresh and the beta then came up. I wonder if this means anything...
Old 11-26-2004   #9
I, Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrussell
Have you seen the results they're using now?
Exactly.
Old 11-26-2004   #10
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
The regular MSN search is rocking now as far as I'm concerned, the longer they take to launch their own the better I'll like it.

From what I've seen the beta has a LONG way to go before it's ready for prime time, as far as relevancy goes.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004   #11
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Thay have piles of doorway pages in there right now... separate listings for domains .com, .info, .net etc. all that redirect to the same page... the results for "forex" have 6 to the same page.
If that continues I can own the words I want.
Old 11-28-2004   #12
Dave Hawley
Please remove heart from sleeve before replying

Dave Hawley will become famous soon enoughDave Hawley will become famous soon enough
I would say they at MSN probably do not when they can go live. As my boss always use to tell me "you'll know when it happens"

I hoping sooner rather than later as I fair much better in beta While I do like Google, I have never liked the fact that I rely so heavily on them for traffic.
Dave Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #13
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Bill Gates said earlier this year that the new tech would go live on MSN Search by the end of this year. That's why the Dec. 2004 date is out there. I think MSN Search may have recently backtracked and put out the Jan. 2005 date to have more time to work with. Either case, not long now.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #14
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
MSN is doing itself no favors by regurgitating Yahoo results. Rolling out a flawed product NOW (a Microsoft specialty) is better than rolling out an imperfect product months down the road.

I would have thunk that this lesson was learned when Yahoo kept regurgitating Google results during the Florida disaster.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #15
AussieWebmaster

I am already gearing up for this possibility.... if they come out soon with all the flaws I will ride the errors as long as they last and there are a bunch of them.
Old 11-29-2004   #16
iamrussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
if they come out soon with all the flaws I will ride the errors as long as they last and there are a bunch of them.
Like what? What would you do?
Old 11-29-2004   #17
AussieWebmaster

Create endless mirrored pages that are laden with keywords in meta and body