Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Other Search Engines & Directories
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2004   #1
KeywordMonkey
Relevancy relevancy relevancy

KeywordMonkey is on a distinguished road
Lycos, ASK to resell SEO in the US

According to Search Engine Lowdown http://www.searchenginelowdown.com/2...offer-seo.html Lycos and Ask will start reselling SEO.

Interesting in itself (would you buy SEO from a search engine? Conflict of interest, anyone?)

But it seems Lycos is in fact reselling Inceptor's services.

This Lycos SEO page http://ranking.lycos.com/siteside.html has 978-298-1550 on it as the enquiries phone number and Inceptor's homepage has 978-298-1525 on it. Suspiciously close numbers!

And a Google search for the number on the Lycos SEO site -
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...98-1550+&meta= - shows the number on Lycos' site in a press release from Inceptor... (unfortunately it's no longer on FindArticles but cache here http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cac...98-1550+&hl=en)

So Lycos are reselling Inceptor's SEO services.

Last edited by KeywordMonkey : 11-24-2004 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Typo
KeywordMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004   #2
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
There is quite a bit of coverage on this actually. It started at this searchguild thread, which was reported at my site, then isedb.com and now searchenginelowdown.

Check em all out, good reading between the lot of them...

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004   #3
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W
Kalena Jordan started it at IHU
Old 11-24-2004   #4
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
Whoops!

Pardon me for my rudeness Kalina! Credit where credit is due!

thanks seobook!

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004   #5
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W
Credit where credit is due!
green, not red
Old 11-24-2004   #6
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
...and in the bizarre world that is the current forum scene...it was first noticed here http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...read.php?t=516

That thread focused on the "ranking" reports but the SEO service was there too.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004   #7
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Three Words:

Conflict of Interest
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004   #8
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
Definite conflict of interest. So if you hire a search engine for your SEO (SE responsible even though they are outsourcing), then they are essential allowing money to influence their organic results - right? What is the difference between this and allowing someone just to pay to be on top? To me this move is nothing more than a struggle to survive in the search engine wars and a "grasping at straws" at that!
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #9
Daria_Goetsch
SEOExplore.com - SEO Research Directory

Daria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura aboutDaria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallace
Definite conflict of interest. So if you hire a search engine for your SEO (SE responsible even though they are outsourcing), then they are essential allowing money to influence their organic results - right? What is the difference between this and allowing someone just to pay to be on top? To me this move is nothing more than a struggle to survive in the search engine wars and a "grasping at straws" at that!
Absolutely agree with you KeywordMonkey, David and Barry. Does the process actually boil down to paid inclusion and ranking for the engines? How about how much the SEO relates to the Lycos and AskJeeves algos, but not the other search engines, any conflict there? It's all pretty interesting when you think about it. Wouldn't this imply that search engines admit SEO is worth something by getting into the market?
Daria_Goetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #10
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeywordMonkey

But it seems Lycos is in fact reselling Inceptor's services.
Does this mean that Greenlight lost the contract, then? For those who may have forgotten, Greenlight were hiring SEO's to SEO Lycos UK back in Jan 2004. Or was that for Lycos UK only?

Last edited by I, Brian : 11-29-2004 at 06:13 PM.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #11
KeywordMonkey

Implies one main thing in my mind; Lycos are as desperate for revenue as ever.

Ask is a differnt kettle of (SEO) fish - they inherited a tie-up with a SEO with their acquisition of Interactive Search Holdings; apparently their CEo says "it's not true" - http://www.searchenginelowdown.com/2...ss-or-are.html - ie. they aren't really getting into SEO.

Hopefully, this will fade away and most marketing people / business owners will realise the conflict of interest in this - I doubt Inceptor expect it to be a major boost for their bottom line, either. They've not exactly shouted about it.
Old 11-29-2004   #12
KeywordMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian
Does this mean that Greenlight lost the contract, then? For those who may have forgotten, Greenlight were hiring SEO's to SEO Lycos itself back in Jan 2004. Or was that for Lycos UK only?
The SEO reselling using Inceptor is Lycos US.

Greenlight were hired by Lycos UK and Ireland to SEO www.lycos.co.uk .

Lycos USA is part of Terra Lycos; Lycos Europe is owned somewhat differently and listed in Frankfurt if memory serves.
Old 11-29-2004   #13
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
Just a comment about the lycos thing, I haven't looked at the Ask stuff.

I think there are two false assumptions, one that Lycos is a search engine, two that this is any different to the "submit you site to a gazillion search engines" advert that used to show on the AV ransom note submit page.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #14
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
I hate say it, but I told you so. Geez, why did I knew this was comming??

I'm in the I DONT LIKE IT group.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #15
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
How is this any different than paying a search engine to rank your site well via ppc?

In my mind, PPC is just a way to bribe the engines to put you at the top. I don't see how engines doing seo for people is any different. You pay them a bribe to put you at the top. No matter how they do it, you pay, they put you at the top.
grnidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #16
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
I hate say it, but I told you so. Geez, why did I knew this was comming??

I'm in the I DONT LIKE IT group.
Any SE involved in SEO will:

1. Target the lowest denominator
2. Fail large-scale commercial clients
3. Refuse to shape clients to any real application of search tech

Otherwise, all you have is a PPC SE, and so far I'm not convinced that anything in that mould has made a particular impact on the search market. Some degree of relevancy has always been the key to SERPs - any SE that values it's stock share will almost certainly think twice about providing nothing but ads instead of search relevant results. Ads as separate.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #17
Webvisitor

Webvisitor will become famous soon enough
Question

Seems to me this is PI by another name. It also seems to me that they will attract some business as the name Lycos is a recognized internet brand.
So -- pay from the Lycos Insite page for your page(s) to be "optimized" for organic listing-- then move into the Lycos PPC program.
Webvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #18
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Even if I try to put myself in their shoes, I don't find it how it can work without any conflict of interest for relevancy of results in the natural listings. They would be placing themselves at high risk.

Even PFI has its pros and cons, but this . . . it's just too much.

I also agree with Brian that they will fail to provide a flat standard service acrosss the board from small business to large-scale commercial. Unless all they are providing is optimization of meta-tags
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #19
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Hard-boiled nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnidone
How is this any different than paying a search engine to rank your site well via ppc?

In my mind, PPC is just a way to bribe the engines to put you at the top. I don't see how engines doing seo for people is any different. You pay them a bribe to put you at the top. No matter how they do it, you pay, they put you at the top.
It's very different.

PPC is not a "bribe." It's paying for something identifiable on market principles. Search engines must disclose the areas on their sites that are marked off for sponsor listings.

Paying a Google engineer to hard-code your site into "organic" listings would be a bribe.

Last edited by dannysullivan : 12-01-2004 at 04:33 AM. Reason: removed offtopic comment
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #20
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Quote:
So if you hire a search engine for your SEO (SE responsible even though they are outsourcing), then they are essential allowing money to influence their organic results - right?
<grins>

So you guys think that I should just tear up this Google contract to be their SEO for Hire?

Ok - its a joke. I don't have any such contract. Just joking

But what would you do if Google offered your company such a contract? Conflict of interest - or put in your bid?
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote