Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2004   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
SEMPO Announces Board of Director Nominations

It has been a while since we last beat up on SEMPO, hence the new thread.

But seriously, I was just notified that SEMPO will be electing a new Board of Directors. "Thirteen Board seats need to be filled by elected members of the organization. All current members are welcome to nominate other members for the Board position. "

More information publicly available at http://www.sempo.org/board-nominations.php
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004   #2
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
Kids playing office.....
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004   #3
bethabernathy
Looking forward to Summer

bethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura about
Just a Bit Confused

Dated in advance? November 22, 2004. Then only give til 12/3/04 to respond. I don't really understand this system. It would seem that they need to list the board positions and have some way to get a collection of individuals who are interested. The nomination form says "Do they know you are nominating them?"
bethabernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004   #4
Anthony Parsons
Rubbing the shine of the knobs who think they're better than everyone else...

Anthony Parsons will become famous soon enough
Hmmmmm...... Are they still around? Still amazing that it took all this just to get the outcome that should off occured from the start. Go DUMPO! Yeh...
Anthony Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004   #5
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethabernathy
Dated in advance? November 22, 2004. Then only give til 12/3/04 to respond. I don't really understand this system.
I got the email notification yesterday, read it, understood it, thought about it, called the person I wanted to nominate and submitted my nomination by fax. Now how complicated is that? To me, it was a plain and simple task. I didn't even need to sleep over this one. But, say you do. Do you need more than 2 weeks to come up with the right nomination?

Quote:
It would seem that they need to list the board positions and have some way to get a collection of individuals who are interested.
IMO, you don't really need job descriptions “politics” here. First look at the current board. Think of how each of them bring value to the team for making decisions regarding members suggestions and new strategies. Then, either think of someone with the same type of qualifications that understands and wants to improve the reputation of the industry by complimenting the others elected. And another way to think about is, and all in my opinion only, let's try to diversify this board to representatives from the world and different SEM communities if possible. That should help growing SEMPO with a worldwide presence and get more ground covered. Let take this opportunity to add focus on multilingual search markets. However, if you think that a current member of the Board of Directors has done an outstanding job really doing work for its Members and Comittees, then go ahead and re-elect that person. More information on the Board elections can be found in the SEMPO By-laws, Article 4 and 5. The by-laws are posted at http://www.sempo.org/about.php.

Quote:
The nomination form says "Do they know you are nominating them?"
The way I saw that was, ask the person who you would be nominating if he/she wants to accept. Otherwise, why nominate someone who doesn't want the job. I say, make you vote count.

Last edited by Nacho : 11-20-2004 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Added for clarification
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004   #6
bethabernathy
Looking forward to Summer

bethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura about
If you read over at High Rankings there are a few people who do have some questions related to the elections.

All I am saying is that if the Board of Directors are up for re-election, then those positions and people who will fill them, would certainly need to be consulted with in advance. As conveyed related to the stipend, the position Barbara Coll holds is quite time consuming.

Is that position up for relection? I had thought they were hiring someone for that position.
bethabernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004   #7
ihelpyou

Quote:
Then, either think of someone with the same type of qualifications that understands and wants to improve the reputation of the industry by complimenting the others elected.
Oh, so tell me how this org is improving the reputation of the industry? I did not know that was in the cards.

From the continued look of the front page, this org has never had any intentions of "improving the rep of the industry", nor should it imply it will.
Old 11-21-2004   #8
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
That's just my opinion Doug.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote