Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2004   #1
bethabernathy
Looking forward to Summer

bethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura about
Don't Get it? Case sensitive at Yahoo?

Hi There - How does Yahoo look at on the words on the page? Does it care about case sensitivity to include the words in the metatags? For example, when I run a search for "resort at squaw creek condos" my site doesn't rank at all vs. with a search for "Resort at Squaw Creek Condos" my site lists very well.

Does anyone have any information on this?
bethabernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004   #2
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Interesting. Not only do you get a difference in results, but you also get a difference in count. A minor one, but still strange to go from 9,910 lower case to 10,100 upper.

I tried California University Dorms (66,500 matches) versus california university dorms (67,100 matches) but saw no change in the top ten. Did a few others and didn't see a sign that case was having an impact on ranking, though counts were odd.

Here's another weird thing:

"Squaw Creek Condos"
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%22...sfp&fl=0&x=wrt

"squaw creek condos"
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%22...sfp&fl=0&x=wrt

First gets one match; second gets two!

This is the page only found in the second lower-case query, call it the contact page:

http://www.pinnaclerealestate.com/contact.htm

This page is found by both queries, call it the condo page:

http://www.pinnaclerealestate.com/re...ek-condos.html

I haven't looked for any clues to see if paid inclusion might be a factor. But another factor stands out. The meta tag of the contact page, the one only found in the lower case query, uses the words squaw valley condo, all in that order, in lower case, within it:
resort at squaw creek condos, squaw valley condominiums, squaw valley ski condos, the village at squaw valley, squaw valley homes, squaw valley condos, squaw valley real estate, pinnacle real estate, realty squaw valley, truckee real estate, north lake tahoe real estate, squaw valley time share, squaw valley lake tahoe, village squaw valley, squaw valley village

The page found by both queries does NOT have ALL the words in the meta tag:
the village at squaw valley, squaw valley homes, squaw valley real estate, pinnacle real estate, realty squaw valley, truckee real estate, north lake tahoe real estate, lake tahoe california, squaw valley time share, squaw valley lake tahoe, squaw valley condominium, squaw valley ski condo, squaw valley condo, village squaw valley, squaw valley village
BOTH pages have all the words in the body copy, or specifically in a navigation link at the top of the page. And that text is mostly in Title Case (first letter of each term up).

So now let's go back. For a query on Resort at Squaw Creek Condos, the condo page ranks tops. For a query on resort at squaw creek condos, the condo page suddenly disappears. So maybe adding those terms in lower case within the meta tag (or on the page itself would help). Is that your page, Beth? If so, give it a try.

Be interested to hear what others find if they play around.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004   #3
bethabernathy

bethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysullivan
I haven't looked for any clues to see if paid inclusion might be a factor.
It is not a factor. And Yes it is my page. I'll keep trying. Thank you!!

Last edited by bethabernathy : 11-19-2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2004   #4
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I sent this thread over to Tim Mayer at Yahoo for an answer.

He said as follows:
Quote:
I looked into this and the only reason for this abnormality is that the
document was not being returned in one cluster and it was being returned
in another. Nothing to do with case sensitivity.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #5
chrisharris

chrisharris is on a distinguished road
Great thanks for clarifying Rusty, Those case sensitivity happens with some rare terms, For the terms we track it is not visible,

So I thought probably it is whole other issue than the case issue,

Good reply from Tim,
chrisharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #6
bethabernathy

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated. I think the page is #1 now for "resort at squaw creek condos" ? -Beth

Last edited by bethabernathy : 11-23-2004 at 01:46 PM.