Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdSense
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2004   #1
newsguy

newsguy is on a distinguished road
Making money from AdSense with AdWords traffic

I've read on WebmasterWorld of a few people who have managed to actually turn a good profit using AdWords to send traffic to AdSense pages.

Has anyone here been able to accomplish that? My own small trials have not worked, even when using high paying AdSense ads.
newsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004   #2
hassleback
Parcells Fan

hassleback is on a distinguished road
Nah, just go ahead and click on the ads on your sites. And ask your friends and family to do the same. It's only fair, after you've spent so much time and effort. Just don't overdo it, and nobody will mind.
hassleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #3
keywordseo
keywordseo.net

keywordseo is on a distinguished road
no clicking on your own ads, will get you ban, thousands of users have been banned before.

People are making money, some are making 1-2k a month.
It takes time, as with you I'm still learning lots

Last edited by Elisabeth : 11-29-2004 at 06:18 PM. Reason: edited out sig link per TOS.
keywordseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutcheson
Nah, just go ahead and click on the ads on your sites. And ask your friends and family to do the same. It's only fair, after you've spent so much time and effort. Just don't overdo it, and nobody will mind.
I take it that was a joke...
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #5
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light
People are successfully buying Adwords and directing them (within the terms) to AdSense. It tends to take a lot of babysitting (especially during weekends and holidays), since your AdSense EPC will fluctuate depending on what the advertisers are paying at the time. And you have to be able to buy the traffic as low as possible - if you get more advertisers bidding on your same keywords, you can lose the profitability and traffic to your AdSense.
Jenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #6
Dave Hawley
Please remove heart from sleeve before replying

Dave Hawley will become famous soon enoughDave Hawley will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I've read on WebmasterWorld of a few people who have managed to actually turn a good profit using AdWords to send traffic to AdSense pages
I am pretty sure this is against the Term & Conditions you must agree to when using AdSense. IMO, it's very poor advice and I'm suprised a forum (of any repute) would allow any such suggestion.
Dave Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #7
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light
I know the AdSense terms and policies inside and out (and I am sure others here can attest to my knowledge of them as well), and there is nothing in them that prevents a publisher from buying Adwords and sending the Adwords traffic to pages with AdSense on them - you aren't encouraging those visitors to click on the AdSense, but you are hoping they do. There are plenty of things you can do that are well within the terms/policies increase your CTR, and make it more likely for one of those visitors to click an AdSense ad.

The only way it would be against the terms is if you were encouraging or inciting clicks on those pages with AdSense, such as labelling the ads with "Click here" or "Please support the site and visit our advertisers".

I have seen many sites doing the "in with Adwords, out with AdSense" thing, and they are well within the AdSense terms and policies.

Last edited by Jenstar : 11-30-2004 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-30-2004   #8
Dave Hawley

Dave Hawley will become famous soon enoughDave Hawley will become famous soon enough
They are loosely worded and very much open ended, as most T&C are. I will contct Google via my AdSense account and ask them the question directly. I will post the reply as soon as I get it.
Old 11-30-2004   #9
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Why would they care... if the content on the page supports the AdWords. The hardest part is finding alternative words that you are not getting the ads served from in your adsense program.

You get a percentage of the income.... so if you pay 50 cents but the click is only worth 25 cents to you in AdSense it would be a losing proposition and also require a 100% conversion rate.

True you could take the low traffic from AdWords at say 10 cents a click but that still requires a high conversion rate.

You are far better served buying traffic from the lesser engines where you can get a click for a penny and have a lot more room to make profits.

You also need to get agressive with optimization to grab the free traffic.

But if you start aggregating results and not measuring each source for its true ROI then you may be losing money by doing the AdWords spend without realizing it.
Old 11-30-2004   #10
Jenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
The hardest part is finding alternative words that you are not getting the ads served from in your adsense program.
Mis-spellings and multiple keyword phrases are key in the "in with Adwords, out with AdSense" strategy. You aren't going to be making any money by bidding on the big money keywords, and very rarely by bidding on anything much higher than minimum bids.. unless you are getting them to exit with big money AdSense ads.
Old 11-30-2004   #11
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenstar
Mis-spellings and multiple keyword phrases are key in the "in with Adwords, out with AdSense" strategy. You aren't going to be making any money by bidding on the big money keywords, and very rarely by bidding on anything much higher than minimum bids.. unless you are getting them to exit with big money AdSense ads.
But what is stopping Google from having those mutliple keyword phrases as part of what is sent to the page also? Then you would have to hope for enough of the high end keywords converting.
Old 11-30-2004   #12
Jenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
But what is stopping Google from having those mutliple keyword phrases as part of what is sent to the page also? Then you would have to hope for enough of the high end keywords converting.
That is why this method needs careful optimization for AdSense as well as constant babysitting. Most don't want to babysit this kind of thing, so there are not too many out there using this method. Which also means if someone has the time and is willing to put the in the effort, there still has got to me some nice niches out there for using this method on.
Old 11-30-2004   #13
AussieWebmaster

Hey whatever works right... obviously this would be done in conjunction with other marketing efforts... all of which are watched so it's not like you need more sets of eyes.
Old 11-30-2004   #14
Dave Hawley

Hi Jenstar

You really do know the TC inside-out See reply from Google below;
Quote:
Hello Dave,

Thank you for your email.

Please feel free to utilize our AdWords service to help advertise your
site using AdSense. We recommend that you review our Terms and
Conditions(www.google.com/adsense/terms) if you have any additional
questions about our program policies.
I may give this a bash. I guess however, one should only bid the Min, or close to it?
Old 11-30-2004   #15
Jenstar

>> one should only bid the Min, or close to it?

Yes, at least to start with, and until you get a handle on your CTR and EPC. You can start bidding a bit higher once you know you will be able to cover it with your CTR & EPC.

Do use all of your channels so you can keep better track of what is making you money and what isn't.
Old 11-30-2004   #16
Dave Hawley

Thanks Jenstar
Old 12-01-2004   #17
inlogicalbearer
SEO and Marketing News from North

inlogicalbearer is on a distinguished road
There a lot of peoples using Adwords to drive traffic to their page with no navigation and with Adsense ads for terms who involved lawyers case.

A hint : "Mesothelioma". One of this advertiser is there since a month without been ban for that practice.
inlogicalbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004   #18
KeywordMonkey
Relevancy relevancy relevancy

KeywordMonkey is on a distinguished road
Isn't this an old idea recycled?

Using Adwords to gain traffic for pages you have monetized using Adsense is new to many I know, but driving traffic to pages via PPC and having PPC results on it too certainly isn't

There are many sites that use Adwords on medium to low CPC terms to drive traffic to pages with more expensive PPC results from Overture, Espotting-FindWhat etc in the UK and US. So a (made-up) example is "cheap DVD players" on Adwords >>> Overture results for "DVD players" on a page that also has some reviews or similar content etc. (Not to mention the inevitable Amazon/eBay affiliate links).

Several of the meta search engines do this - e.g. Dogpile and Info.com, to raise their traffic, brand awarness and earn revenue.

Of course, the trick as noted above is baby sitting the right keywords and having enough on-page content to get past human editors (if you buy traffic in from Overture etc. too).

Last edited by KeywordMonkey : 12-01-2004 at 12:26 PM. Reason: I still can't type!
KeywordMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004   #19
keywordseo
keywordseo.net

keywordseo is on a distinguished road
I'm actually just working on the keyword now, yeah Ive noticed lots of pages that have adsense on their pages using the word Mesothelioma
Though I wonder how many of those companies offer lawyer services for Mesothelioma cases.

There are now close to a hundred ads for this subject, so many that most would probably make a few cents a click on this ad. The few that do have the top 5 Mesothelioma high paying ads would be raking it in, especially if they are in the top 10 of google for a related keyword.

$$$

Last edited by keywordseo : 12-01-2004 at 04:43 PM.
keywordseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004   #20
Buddha

Buddha is on a distinguished road
I've done this before. It's basically search arbitrage. If you already make decent $, it's prolly not worth your time.

Key Things-
- Look for a niche with relatively few advertisers, large gap between the #1 bid and #20 bid, and broad KW base. #1-3 bids should be over $1.
- Bid the min and track your ROI carefully.
- Caution: I woudn't bid on 3rd tier PPC engines, only G/OV.

If you are really good, u can make a few grand a month.
Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote