Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2004   #1
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
WebmasterWorld World of Search Conference #7

So who's here? Send me a PM if there any any impromtu get togethers going on. Its kind of hard to locate people with 7 bars at the Hilton. I'm at the Aladdin.
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #2
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
plenty of good people to hook up with there.

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...89&m=904108818

Last edited by Joseph Morin : 11-14-2004 at 04:24 PM.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #3
MrMackin

MrMackin is a jewel in the roughMrMackin is a jewel in the roughMrMackin is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up hard to locate people with 7 bars at the Hilton

THE party will be at the PALMS from 7 to 11 on Wednesday the 17th.
MrMackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #4
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
I am not there yet but I will be - leaving tomorrow morning. I should be there by Monday evening. Hope to see a lot of you there!
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #5
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
i'm flying out tomorrow afternoon too. nothing like last minute planning
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #6
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
I'm flying out tomorrow morning. I'll be with the rowdy crowd over in the corner of the bar.
rcjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #7
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I'll be there tomorrow night as well. See you there.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #8
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Wow Barry, does this mean we might actually see you out and about socially instead of just fleetingly at the conference itself?
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #9
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Morin
Wow Barry, does this mean we might actually see you out and about socially instead of just fleetingly at the conference itself?
Ill be at the Yahoo party, well at least for a bit of it.

I should be at the after hour events this time, I hope.

But for those interested, I will be covering the sessions I attend at my blog.
Old 11-14-2004   #10
sugarrae
I Should Be Working

sugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura about
I'm headed out tomorrow. Still have to pack and get my drinking boots on .
sugarrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004   #11
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnrae
Still have to pack and get my drinking boots on .
I started prepping a bit early and lost my car this morning...luckily I later found it
Old 11-15-2004   #12
DrCool

DrCool is on a distinguished road
I get in at about 9:30 tonight. Should be a great time.
DrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004   #13
rustybrick

So when, where, how, we meeting up?
Old 11-17-2004   #14
rustybrick

My coverage so far for the WMW conference. Feel free to post your questions and I will respond as soon as possible. I will update this thread as the day goes on.

WebmasterWorld Conference #7 Opening Ceremonies
http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/001148.html

Design and Coding for the Complete Package - WMW Conf 7
http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/001151.html

PFI Topics and Issues - WMW Conf 7
http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/001152.html

Super Session: History of SEO/SEM Theory and Testing - WMW Conf 7
http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/001153.html

Search Engine Friendly Design and Coding (Especially Flash) - WMW Conf 7
http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/001154.html

Informal Discussion with Tim Mayer and the Yahoo! Search Folks
http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/001155.html
Old 11-17-2004   #15
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
Good stuff Mr Brick!

Off the bat how does the conference compare to others you have attended, whats the "feel"?
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004   #16
rustybrick

My "feel".

This conference has grown. I am not sure the number of "marketers" versus "webmasterworld" people who are here. I would guesstimate about 1,000 people are here, I'll ask Brett for the official number later.

My concern is all the discussion about the 'black hat' methods. Pretty much, every session I have attended spoke about methods to cloak, link spam and more. I understand it is part of the industry and I think it should be discussed. However, if - like SES - this conference has many marketers that do not understand these topics, I doubt they (the marketers) understand why so many people are smirking when discussing cloaking or link spam.

You have the search engine reps in the back of the room laughing, you have those who know a lot about this stuff smirking, but then you have those blank faces that do not understand it.

Its not a concern of mine that these people will use it for 'evil'. It is more of a concern that the audience is changing and the sessions need to change with it.

Leave spam discussion for a smaller conference with a closer group of people.

Hope I got my point across clearly. This conference has been wonderful, it is just different then SES.
Old 11-17-2004   #17
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
just different then SES
It's metamorphasized to an entirely different demographic.

Quote:
the audience is changing and the sessions need to change with it.
Sounds like they did.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004   #18
ihelpyou

Quote:
My concern is all the discussion about the 'black hat' methods. Pretty much, every session I have attended spoke about methods to cloak, link spam and more. I understand it is part of the industry and I think it should be discussed. However, if - like SES - this conference has many marketers that do not understand these topics, I doubt they (the marketers) understand why so many people are smirking when discussing cloaking or link spam.
I've heard that's been a large problem since that conference launched. It's nothing new to me. It's a large problem industry wide in my opinion, and why others outside the industry give it the bad reputation. We have top leaders in this industry who don't seem to care that innocent people are reading and learning and listening to those 'in the know' about how to spam. Nobody seems to care about the direction we are going.

I care, and won't let it happen.

It's shocking that Yahoo and even Google seem to not care about what is taught either. I'm very disappointed about that and will be doing "lots" of talking in the near future about all of this.

I recall a thread started in here by Danny on "why has the industry got this bad reputation?" I think the answer to that is rather clear.
Old 11-17-2004   #19
rustybrick

Doug,

Its not about the methods that concerns me.

Its about knowing who the audience is.
Old 11-17-2004   #20
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
It's shocking that Yahoo and even Google seem to not care about what is taught either. I'm very disappointed about that and will be doing "lots" of talking in the near future about all of this.
It's not that shocking doug, they're big boys and they know what the score is. This stuff will all become obsolete at some point, and then be replaced with new algo workarounds. It's just the way it works mate. Human nature and all that....

I dont think they actually feel it's a problem. If they did, they'd do somthing about it wouldnt they?

I hope you'll be talking about it here, I dont get over to IHU so much these days
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote