Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2010   #1
cryptblade
SEO, International SEO, Mobile SEO, SEO Stocks

cryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud of
Google Hearts Flash, Can Index "Almost Any Text" In A Flash (SWF) File

From Google: “What a Feeling…!

From SE Land: Google Can Index “Almost Any Text” In A Flash (SWF) File
cryptblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Google Hearts Flash, Can Index "Almost Any Text" In A Flash (SWF) File

they have come a long way
Old 11-13-2010   #3
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough

Google need to improve more on flash text index. They mean to say as they do crawl and not showing up in preview?

On the official release of "instant preview" I wrote a note in FB page and here a response from a member.

@jag: What About flash in Google's SERP preview , check audiusa.com's preview in google..

Now there are many blog posts discussion on these area
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010   #4
cryptblade
SEO, International SEO, Mobile SEO, SEO Stocks

cryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud of

@jag - I agree that there needs to be more done for Flash indexing, but let's be honest - it's damn annoying when you have designers go apesh*t over Flash and design websites entirely in Flash.

All-Flash websites suck, plain and simple. And these designers love it because they have an elitist attitude.

Usability is always going to be the key. I find Flash websites to be very annoying.

On the other hand, I find sites with Flash elements to be great - and in those cases, I definitely think that finding the balance between text content and Flash elements is important. So if Google is moving towards that, fantastic. At least Google is pragmatic, not like Steve Jobs - his hubris is putrid.
cryptblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #5
actiononlinenz

actiononlinenz is on a distinguished road

I'm still really hesitant to use Flash in my websites, apart from a small animation here and there, never for content.
I know, they've improved indexing with search engines but I don't think it's there yet.
Plus as people are saying, there are usability issues as well.
actiononlinenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #6
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

I avoid... do CSS to move photos etc
Old 11-22-2010   #7
actiononlinenz

actiononlinenz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
I avoid... do CSS to move photos etc
I completely agree. There's so much you can do now with CSS and JS.
On my latest websites, I tend to replace the small Flash animations with video.

With the right video editor, you can still do animation effects and text overlays but include real video footage as well.

I'm finding it's working really well.
actiononlinenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #8
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough

Designers love Flash, SEO's hate Flash, Google tries to balance
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #9
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag View Post
Designers love Flash, SEO's hate Flash, Google tries to balance
have to agree - happy medium