Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2010   #1
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Adwords Request - More Exclusion Ability

Google has come a long way in allowing advertisers to work with Geo/Demo levers as well as exclude some publishers. However, there is still a great deal that can be improved upon. Here are my humble requests to refine Google's targeting.

Ad formats:
Some of the worst performing ads on the content network for us are from sites that exclude our domain name. Or only display the ad title. Allow us to control ad format publishers.

TLD Control (domain name extension)
It is very clear that a TLD can help determine the legitimacy of an advertiser. All us to exclude domains based on.
Their TLD .com, .In, .Au, .UK etc.

Domain Name Control:
Exclude content partners based on a keyword or special character within their domain name. ie: exclude all domains with "free" or "government" or "obama" in them.

Language
If there is any bit of language on the page not compatible with my ads, I don't want my ad run there.

Percentage of Ads to Content on a page.
Asking a lot here, but man, I am tired of having to exclude the thousands of pages containing 90% ads and 10% cheap scraped content modified to fool Adsense matching.

Garbitrage
Can we stop this for good?

These 6 additions would really help us block out the bad and reward the good adsense partners.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Adwords Request - More Exclusion Ability

Good points Jerry - I would love to be able to exclude more things and the use of latency ie. word associations is a big one - it is hard to use negative keywords in adsense as a publisher without doing all the heavy lifting yourself
Old 10-19-2010   #3
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

What I see a lot of Aussie that gets me a bit sour are the 200 or so clicks each week that come from one hit wonders. You know, the i-have-information-atmysite.us with a 100% click through rate charging me a meager $2.98.

Google generally catches these folks and or drops our ads from running there. However there is no direct correlation between these clicks and the refunds in our unqualified clicks reports.
We don't know for sure how much of this we're paying for, thus we have to go through the process of identify and exclude.

Being able to exclude characters, domains, TLDs would go a long way in keeping these sites out of the mix.

I have a few more requests to add to the list.

Unique or Syndicated content targeting
In depth content analysis would be a great targeting tool as well. Analyze the content partners for the type of content they provide: Syndicated content, or personally created blog content.

Target the Author and not the site!
Hey imagine that, using Google profiles to follow Rusty Brick posts and target his content no matter where it displays. Of course with so many split personalities online we may need a Syble algo to determine if it is Barry or Rusty we should target.

Document type and origin:
If I missed this one please direct me to the spot in adwords.
With all sorts of content now being processed I would want to identify and target the content according to its origin.
Was this content from a published book?
Is this a PDF, PR release, Word Doc, Google Doc, or other?
Peer reviewed networks:
If I identify my industry and service category I could tag the sites I include and exclude in my campaigns with the main reasons why. This data could be aggregated into a list to be shared with others in the industry.

Better device targeting:
G has done a great job thus far, but I would like to see if we couldn't better understand screen size and usability and target accordingly.

Google Comparison:
There is a bit of a show down going on with Google going head to head with some lead generation companies. Recently I did a search for "credit card debt" (for a client really!) and saw that Google has new TOP POSITION for a comparison shopping guide for credit cards. Now I would get on my box about the service and potential conflict of interest here, however as an advertiser I may NOT want my ads to run with the Google comparison ad being run.

This brings up another interesting concept.
Diversification:
Targeting your ads based on other ads that are being considered to display by Google.
Perhaps nearly impossible to implement. However, the problem is this. With limited characters to describe virtually the same thing often results in 10-12 ads with the exact same ad copy. It would be interesting to require the advertiser to create at least 3 ads and require Google to try and run the best 12 ads that look the most diverse.
Old 10-24-2010   #4
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

AW rep I hope that this list will serve you well.
I have a few more feature requests:

The Network report where you can select a particular publisher and then view the URLs that have resulted in a click is extremely useful. However, I often see a large number of impressions from a quality site like CNN.com but only one click.
It would be great to see the URLs behind all of those impressions so we could then take a look at that pages content and optimize our ads and landing pages for it.
Old 10-25-2010   #5
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Adwords could be so more intuitive - Google loves us doing the work they could have as optional filters etc