Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2004   #1
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
New MSN Search Goes LIVE in Beta!

Its finally here! Feeeuuuuuu! This confirms last night's thread with the rumors then.

Today Chris Sherman made a great review titled Microsoft Unveils its New Search Engine - At Last:

Quote:
The new engine, available at beta.search.msn.com is an algorithmic search engine built from scratch by Microsoft engineers. "This is our new engine that we've built from the ground up," said Justin Osmer, product manager for MSN Search. Released in beta form, it's expected to replace Yahoo search results still in place at MSN sometime later this year or early next year.
So, what do you think of the new MSN Search (beta)?

Last edited by Nacho : 11-11-2004 at 04:23 AM.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #2
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
As most will rush to view their website analytics software for new traffic from MSN, please keep in mind that http://www.msn.com which hast most of it is still using http://search.msn.com and not the new beta.

So if your new rankings are great, GOOD. Do what you can to keep the up there.

If your rankings are low, don't panic. Start doing your research and testing. I have a feeling you might have enough time to get them back up without really hurting your stats and results.
Old 11-11-2004   #3
copsewood

copsewood is on a distinguished road
Load of rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
So, what do you think of the new MSN Search (beta)?
Not much. They'll have to make it less demanding on websites if many admins are not going to block it. I welcome competition against google but not from a company with a long criminal history of programming hooks into their systems to disable competitors' software.
copsewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #4
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

From this end, the beta version is giving

This site is temporarily unavailable, please check back soon.

Orion
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #5
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Me too Orion.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #6
JohnGalt
That's not my real name...

JohnGalt will become famous soon enough
Arrow MSN beta search down for me, too

It's frustrating, and I would have thought ms would have made it much more bullet proof. This is not getting off to a good start. I was checking some of my rankings on the pre-release versions of the new msn search, and I was starting to get the (good) feeling that they had possibly found a way to filter out obvious cloaking attempts. One of my main competitors uses cloaking and by doing so has pushed me down below him in google, whereas I used to be way ahead of him. In my ideal world, msn search will be so good that it will eliminate those who attempt to show one thing to bots and another to "real" visitors. Is this too much to hope for?
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #7
truba

Not working

You gotta be kidding. The site has been down for 2 hours for me this morning.
Old 11-11-2004   #8
hiero
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? --Vince Lombardi

hiero is on a distinguished road
Revisited - This site is temporarily unavailable, please check back soon

Isn't it just like Microsoft to launch something new that's not ready for Prime Time! (even though it's still in beta why all the fan faire if it's not ready). Pretty embarrassing to get excited about something new Microsoft only to be disappointed to find that it's not currently working.
hiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #9
andrewm57

msnbot/0.3 problems

Plz see article at:
http://www.marketingshift.com/2004/1...esults-for.cfm
for some serious questions about the 'bots & engine, and my 'concur' comments re recent 404 hits to technically non-existent files.
Old 11-11-2004   #10
inlogicalbearer
SEO and Marketing News from North

inlogicalbearer is on a distinguished road
One 25 try this morning I got only one result working.
After the blue screen of the Microsoft OS the orange sentense of MSN Search ;-)
inlogicalbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #11
Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by truba
You gotta be kidding. The site has been down for 2 hours for me this morning.
They probably saw the Business 2.0 article the other day that read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Business2.0
" . . .many of the standard plot devices of tech startup triumph: the clever spotting of an overlooked opportunity, the crashing server -- the server always crashes -- the plucky victory in the end."
Common' Microsoft you did not build this engine in a garage! Let's not play "pretend" here.
Old 11-11-2004   #12
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
MSN responded at their blog http://blogs.msdn.com/msnsearch/arch...11/255802.aspx
Old 11-11-2004   #13
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

I'm happy to see is working fine for integrated optimization

The explanation

"In the process of making our new MSN Search beta broadly available we experienced some technical difficulties that caused the beta service to function improperly or be unavailable for some users for periods of time."

Doesn't say much. Either this was an internal problem, external or created by who knows. Hard to tell, but we cannot speculate either. I'm just happy to see Microsoft in the search arena.

Orion
Old 11-11-2004   #14
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Okay do a search for this term: more evil than satan

http://beta.search.msn.com/results.a...atan&FORM=QBRE

Guess paybacks are a bitch.

http://searchenginewatch.com/serepor...le.php/2167621

Last edited by AussieWebmaster : 11-11-2004 at 05:05 PM.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #15
rustybrick

Good find there.
Old 11-11-2004   #16
orion

Exclamation

How about this one

better than God

Orion
Old 11-11-2004   #17
Nacho

I do see that fresher pages rank higher on the serps. Anyone noticing the same?
Old 11-11-2004   #18
vicaya

Click "+Search Builder" and then "Result Ranking", you'll see 3 sliders for proximity, popularity and freshness, which introduce these {..} operators in the query. And they do affect results significantly.

Cool.
Old 11-11-2004   #19
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
I do see that fresher pages rank higher on the serps. Anyone noticing the same?
Good catch... obviously the big impact is lower off page and higher on page... I wonder what the turn around time is for refreshing the SERPs.... could be an interesting battle for position prior to going live on the MSN portal.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #20
orion

Exclamation

Interesting, isn’t it? Just the opposite of conspiracy theories and other search engines.

business rumors
term vector
keywords co-occurrence
on topic analysis
javascript optimization
color optimization
website validations
security optimization

Will they drop my other test pages that are not new? Will see if MSN pass these tests.

Orion

Last edited by orion : 11-11-2004 at 10:11 PM.