Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009   #1
kg84

kg84 is on a distinguished road
Bid Simulator ( Aka Please jack up all of your bids)

So I have noticed that I can now use the new bid simulator feature on a lot of my clients campaigns.

In theory, this is a cool tool. However, I have seen this tool recommend for many keywords, that rank very well and with optimal campaign budgets, that I should increase my bids by huge amounts (i.e. current bid $2.87 increase to $6.18 = 10 more impressions!! wow) Almost all keywords I check have suggested huge increases like that. If everyone starts listening to this tool bids are going to start tripling in no time....of course that is exactly what Google wants.

Last edited by kg84 : 07-30-2009 at 11:51 AM.
kg84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #2
searchengineman

searchengineman will become famous soon enoughsearchengineman will become famous soon enough
Re: Bid Simulator ( Aka Please jack up all of your bids)

Has this tool come out of Beta yet?, we only have it on a few accounts.

see Possible *NEW* Beta Feature GOOGLE - New Tool - "Bid Simulator" in GOOGLE old UI. From June 5th.

Searchengineman
searchengineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #3
kg84

I believe it may still be in Beta because I do not have it in all my accts. I realize beta means they are still working out the kinks, but IMO this tool is completely useless.
Old 08-03-2009   #4
SemGeek
Padawan

SemGeek is on a distinguished road

Personally, I think Bid Tools are excuses for poor Paid Search Strategies and tactics. While, I see the value of managing a specific CPC Bid to ensure visibility, the advertiser must be careful to keep a cost-ceiling to maintain a successful ROAS, I would think that in the "Quality Score" world we live in, that bid management would be a thing of the past. I would highly doubt that cost savings are in the interest of the Search Engine.

My 2 cents.
SemGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #5
kg84

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemGeek View Post
Personally, I think Bid Tools are excuses for poor Paid Search Strategies and tactics. While, I see the value of managing a specific CPC Bid to ensure visibility, the advertiser must be careful to keep a cost-ceiling to maintain a successful ROAS, I would think that in the "Quality Score" world we live in, that bid management would be a thing of the past. I would highly doubt that cost savings are in the interest of the Search Engine.

My 2 cents.
SemGeek,

I agree. This tool almost seems to be designed to take advantage of those who manage their own campaigns or have generally bad search management practices. Someone who is just worried about being number 1 all the time will look at this and probably say "Well if I got to up my bid $4 to get there, according to the bid simulator, that is what I got to do".
Old 08-05-2009   #6
kg84

I was just looking at one client's acct....
they are bidding for several keywords that receive good traffic and consistently have had only one other competitor. Google's Bid Simulator says I should up my bid by over $2 and I will double my cost and receive 100 more impressions. This thing is useless.

Last edited by kg84 : 08-05-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2009   #7
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

Interesting comments - I haven't played around with bid simulator too much, but my initial reaction was similar to what's here. It's cool, but not all that useful.