Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2004   #1
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Yahoo! Search Goes Wireless!

It's exciting to hear that Yahoo! Search has gone wireless. Now I can finally use search on Yahoo! when I'm away for the PC . . . definetly a good thing!

Neeraj Choubey blogged it on Oct. 27th, 2004 and following that Jerry Yang, Chief Yahoo, made interesting comments about his take what's next on search. He made the following comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Yang
Yesterday's introduction of Yahoo! Search for Mobile is just one example of how technology is propelling search forward. Search is literally in your pocket and at your bus stop. It doesn't get more integrated than that.
Want to discuss Jerry Yang's take on search, I started this new thread for that purpose.

Have you guys given Yahoo! Search Mobile a try? What do you think?

I liked how they display both Sponsored Results and Web Matches. The two right navigation ads appear first then the central highlighted ones second. Organic or natural listings are limited to 10 results -- nice and clean. Then another 2 (the first 2 on the right) sponsored ads reappear.

It gives you the ability to move to Images, Directory, Local, News and Products as well. They have enabled shortcuts and advanced search. The "Also try:" function had the words overlapping one another.

Good stuff, I like it!

Last edited by Nacho : 11-02-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004   #2
garyp

garyp is a jewel in the roughgaryp is a jewel in the roughgaryp is a jewel in the roughgaryp is a jewel in the rough
Nacho:
A couple of comments.

I blogged the news on the SEW Blog here.
http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/041027-59

The new mobile web search, image search, and local search results pages DO NOT contain any advertising.

Second, only Yahoo Mobile (image, web, local) search is new.
Yahoo has been online for several years with a full line of mobile services. For example, I receive news alerts via SMS.

Finally, web serps only show 5 results per page. Image results are limited 3 per page.

To access Yahoo Mobile search ON a MOBILE device (you need to have an html capable browser) go to:
http://mobile.yahoo.com
garyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004   #3
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Today for the first time I engaged in a real life need to search via my Treo 600 on Yahoo! Local for Mobile (to kid around testing now) and it seriously took me about 10 minutes. It was not an easy search perhaps??

First I logged in to My Account, so it can recognize my city data. Then I searched for "toysrus" in a 25 mile radius of La Jolla CA 92037. I got toysrus.com/store (locator) which took forever to load and I had to do my query all over again. This was way too much time, but its OK, I'm excited about this. It is the future of our search capability and some day it will probably take less than 30 seconds to do, just as it would on a PC going to local.yahoo.com and getting the result I wanted right on #1 for the natural listings.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004   #4
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Nacho, I do the same thing but its built into my navigation system. Not a wireless device, but how often are the yellow pages updated anyway (yearly?). It all runs off a DVD and talks to me as I drive.

Now if Yahoo can go into a nav system, that would be sweet.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote