Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Paid Inclusion
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Please answer the following if you are using Overture's SiteMatch program:
Yes, I am using SiteMatch and have seen Slurp in my logs and I am indexed on both: PFI and Organic. 2 40.00%
Yes, I am using SiteMatch and have seen Slurp in my logs, but no organic listings on the index. 0 0%
Yes, I am using SiteMatch and have not seen any signs of Slurp in my logs. 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2004   #1
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Will Yahoo! Search keep its spidering promise?

So Yahoo! Search promised us that even though we opted in for Overture SiteMatch (paid inclusion), Slurp (Yahoo!'s crawler) would still find its way around the web to index all webpages whether they are included or not in the PFI program.

Today, at the Kioskcom seminar in La Jolla, California, a group of big player websites and search engine marketers that are using the new paid inclusion feature said that none of them have seen Slurp anywhere in their logs since they started PFI. We are talking about sites with thousands of pages indexed here, and all of them had no signs of our new crawler friend . . . hmmmmm They all had great comments and experiences about the PFI product, but the mystery still stands about spidering . . . where is Slurp?

Therefore, I wanted to run a poll and would also like to hear your feedback about stories if this is the case for you or not. If you are using PFI and see Slurp all the time, or have not seen Slurp at all, that's what we would like to hear. Please share your comments. - Thank you!

Last edited by Nacho : 06-17-2004 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Improved title by adding "spidering"
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Anyone here using Overture's Site Match that can lend a hand?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #3
achronic

achronic is on a distinguished road
We are using Sitematch, and have around 25,000 pages. We have not seen Slurp since we started the program.
achronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #4
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Hello achronic! Welcome to SearchEngineWatch Forums!

How many pages are on the index for the site your talking about? I see 31,300 pages on your homepage listed on your profile.

How long ago did you start SiteMatch? What are you using to see check for Slurp visits (ie. logfiles or “____” analytics software)?

The more information we have the better it is for us to help you and better understand Yahoo’s search programs - THANKS !

I've also talked with Yahoo! about this and they told me that the free crawl and SiteMatch are completely independent content acquisition mechanisms, so being (or not being) in SiteMatch has zero impact on how free crawl will treat a site. If their normal crawl encounters it, they even keep a free crawl version of a page that is in SiteMatch in reserve, as they want to insure that a partner who decides to stop using the SiteMatch program does not “lose” URLs that have been found via the free crawl. They said that in many cases where they have a free copy and a SiteMatch copy of a given URL, they will show the SiteMatch copy (since it is the one being refreshed more frequently).

The purpose of this thread is for search engine marketers who are involved with SiteMatch can share with us real life experiences to help others interested in participating Overture’s programs and to know what to expect in terms of crawling behavior.

Last edited by Nacho : 06-21-2004 at 08:12 PM.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #5
AaronShear
Another Average SEO Guy

AaronShear is on a distinguished road
Nacho is correct; the two systems are completely independent.

Imagine if you have 2 database entries.

1). http://www.x.com non – paid
2). http://www.x.com paid

They will show the paid before they would show the non-paid. But not the same result twice.
AaronShear is offline   Reply With Quote