Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Marketing
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2004   #1
capnken

Stupid? Or Brilliant?

The PR Newswire piece below came across the RSS feed I have set up for Google News at Yahoo! this afternoon.

Is this the dumbest thing you've ever seen, or smart marketing / promotion?

Headline: Simply Wow(r) Achieves Top Ranking on Search Engine Placement Results at Google.com
http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/041101/290/f5py2.html

Cap'n Ken

Last edited by dannysullivan : 11-01-2004 at 02:25 PM. Reason: no links in signature, please
Old 11-01-2004   #2
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
Its much more Brilliant that it is Stupid imho.

Anyhow you just jealous
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #3
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
It's brilliantly stupid.

The release writer shuold go into writing for politicians.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #4
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
That's one of the lamest excuses for a press release I've come across. <blech>

On the other hand, it IS a press release and we ARE talking about it, so it's hard to call it a failure....

Ian
Old 11-01-2004   #5
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnken
Is this the dumbest thing you've ever seen, or smart marketing / promotion?
you helped spread the press release.
Old 11-01-2004   #6
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Next thing they'll have you believing is that there's a waterfall in Idaho...
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #7
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

Sorry, but I have to stop by and drop my two cents.

The pr says

"When an individual searches on Google for Simply Wow(r) a link for information and testimonials about Source Direct's proprietary cleaner is one of the top responses shown."

How many people searches for something like Simply Wow, Simply W(r) or derivatives of this query?

The pr allegation is simply-wow non sense. Putting money, time and effort in the optimization of a web page for a mark consisting of such generic terms or for a query with no semantic substance or that few care about is an exercise in futility. Most average users search using queries with a concrete semantic content about products or services. Go figure what is in the mind of someone searching for something like simply wow.

Orion
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #8
searchengineblog.com
There's an anti. Let's up it.

searchengineblog.com has a spectacular aura aboutsearchengineblog.com has a spectacular aura about
<Spinal Tap>

There's a fine line between clever and stupid....

</Spinal Tap>
searchengineblog.com is offline   Reply With Quote