Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2004   #1
PixelStreamed
PixelStreamed Networking

PixelStreamed is on a distinguished road
PR - Just a bunch of hype

Okay, so we know everybody is interested in receiving a high Page Rank for their website pages. But does anyone actually know the benefits of having a high page rank? It would probably help (a little) in Google's algorithm in the SERP's and maybe make your website seem more valuable and trustworthy to visitors, but other than these two things what else is a high PR good for? I haven't thought of any other benefits a high PR would be good for; it seems like it's more hyped up than it should be. So what's the PR craze all about?

Last edited by PixelStreamed : 06-15-2004 at 11:15 PM.
PixelStreamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #2
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
it makes other people want to trade links with you more. many of these people are not worth trading links with though...
Old 06-16-2004   #3
newsphinx

newsphinx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelStreamed
make your website seem more valuable and trustworthy to visitors
Average searchers, other than webmasters, may not have idea what is PR.
newsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #4
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
As seobook hinted at, its a prestige thing. It makes you a target for link requests but also for non-recip incomings.

I dont really follow PR but surely it's still the case that a PR9 would out-rank a similarly optimized site with PR6 right? - But around the 4-6 level I dont think it counts for very much...

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #5
webcertain
Multilingual web marketing

webcertain is on a distinguished road
I think PageRank is fascinating for a huge amount of webmasters simply because it is measurable, and what's the point of calculating a boring cpa or even roi when you can see the results of your efforts just by opening your browser ..
webcertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #6
webcertain

Quote:
I dont really follow PR but surely it's still the case that a PR9 would out-rank a similarly optimized site with PR6 right? - But around the 4-6 level I dont think it counts for very much...
Hi Nick, PageRank is part of the puzzle, and no way you can be sure that a high PageRank is a guarantee to be in the first serp.. An example in the news:

football tickets euro 2004 in Prog
Old 06-16-2004   #7
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
Hi webcertain, yeah, i know what you mean, i just meant in the most general terms.

But, point well taken ;-)

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #8
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
PageRank is part of Google's overall PageRank algorithm. How much weight PageRank currently has, only Google knows. But I would guess that if all other factors are equal between two sites, the site with the higher PageRank would rank higher.

seobook is correct in saying that it is most probably easier to trade links with friendly sites if your PageRank is higher then the average. But many link traders are not looking at PageRank these days. Many are looking at the number of pages they can get their links on. They are also looking at if the pages distribute link value to other pages.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #9
webcertain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick
They are also looking at if the pages distribute link value to other pages.
Hi Rustybrick,
distribute link value, that would be something like pagerank / number of outbound links no?
Old 06-16-2004   #10
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by webcertain
Hi Rustybrick,
distribute link value, that would be something like pagerank / number of outbound links no?
I am not using an equation to define what "link value" is. IMO, link value is inclusive of PageRank, anchor text, # of links, the page content of the page linking to you and more.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #11
webcertain

Ok, thought you were talking about link value on a PageRank point of view, ie mathematical. but true enough, anchor text and context of the page are important, but not measurable (yet?)
Cheers,
Johann
Old 06-16-2004   #12
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelStreamed
... what else is a high PR good for? I haven't thought of any other benefits a high PR would be good for; it seems like it's more hyped up than it should be. So what's the PR craze all about?
If you are selling advertising or placement on your site such as with a directory or some kind of information site, the higher the PR you have on your pages where ads or placement will take place, the more attractive it is to advertisers looking to increase their own PR.

Other than that, the average person who isn't marketing site probably doesn't have any idea what PR is all about.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #13
Incubator

Incubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura about
Does PR have any tie into the toolbar at all?

What I mean does google give more factors to your site, if it is search through the toolbar and not straight at www.google.com.
I can see who google would benefits from this for ...lets say...thier tracking information .

For example if 100 people searched through thier google toolbar for "bluewidget" and everyone landed at google and clicked on the first site.....
would that carry any weight on the user end of the toolbar, that was being used across a percentage of the 100 surfers ?

Cheers
Wayne
Incubator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #14
Anthony Parsons
Rubbing the shine of the knobs who think they're better than everyone else...

Anthony Parsons will become famous soon enough
I think the only thing PageRank is good for is a marketing tool. Those who know no better quarel about those low PR values and links, who cares, but the real importance is the time saving factor finding those sites that do hold the authority.

Unless your talking about PR8 +, then PR value has no real importance, not even for rankings, which is proven time and time again.....PR4 ranking over PR6 etc. You certainly can't use it for traffic analysis, as you can have a PR7 with 5000 monthly visits and a PR7 with 500,000 monthly visits.

What gets me is people's attitude towards PageRank. It is a measure of Googles importance only. That doesn't mean squat to Yahoo and MSN who take up the other two large chunks in providing results. If MSN take over the search lead in a year or two, then what? Will we have MSNRank or something like that, that the world will fall over and start comparing one another against? Yuk....

I think the sooner we can get into peoples minds that it means very little, the better we will all be.
Anthony Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #15
jbgilbert
Old Timer

jbgilbert has a spectacular aura aboutjbgilbert has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
..... It is a measure of Googles importance only. That doesn't mean squat to Yahoo and MSN.....

..... I think the sooner we can get into peoples minds that it means very little, the better we will all be...,..
I'm for that!

The FIRST thing people need to understand about PR is that THEY DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT THE PR VALUE IS!!!!!! The only visibility into Google's REAL PR is the silly 0 to 10 we are allowed to see.

The PR that we see is only a crude approximation..... PR is achieved through linking..... PR is the "cart", quality links are the "horse".

Stop putting the cart before the horse.....
jbgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #16
nuclei
Your Link Broker

nuclei is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W
As seobook hinted at, its a prestige thing. It makes you a target for link requests but also for non-recip incomings.

Nick
Incorrect. A PR4 page optimized identically to a PR9 page can easily outrank the PR9. It is a matter of the PR4 simply using the keyword he wants to beat the PR9 for in his anchor text where the PR9 does not.

PageRank does not have much if anything by itself to do with rankings.
Old 06-17-2004   #17
webcertain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclei
PageRank does not have much if anything by itself to do with rankings.
I agree, PageRank has no direct consequence on the rankings, but some of the links that composed the PageRank may well be one of the main factor...

In fact, PageRank is a very poor indicator of the "ranking ability" of a page..
But it's the easiest indicator to monitor..
Old 06-17-2004   #18
simon@bizcomservices.co.u

I think that PR is overhyped, and interestingly posted a similar thread on the high rankings forum called "[color=#003870]Is Pr Overated Or What?[/color]".

Some people chase PR thinking that it's the ultimate goal, but most users don;t know about it, or care about it, and I've not seen much evidence to suggest that it has very high weighting in Google's algo.

I've seen PR3 ranked higher than PR6 for certain phrases (just search for "uk website promotion" in Google and look at #1 and #2 PR.
Old 06-17-2004   #19
Anthony Parsons
Rubbing the shine of the knobs who think they're better than everyone else...

Anthony Parsons will become famous soon enough
I would like to add one little thing to this. PR is a marketing tool, however; on the other end, PR does play some role in rankings. Think it doesn't?

PageRank is the algorithm that "Google" uses to measure the quality of a sites backlinks. PageRank shows an authoritive rating (in simplest terms) for a given site for Google only. If your niche relates to that particular niche with a higher PageRank, then it does share some effort towards demonstrating the authority of the site your link is being placed upon that will pass some authority too your site (this all being related niche content).

So, PageRank does play some part in a sites ranking, because when you start talking same niche sites linking, PageRank (authority) is passed to help that site being linked in the rankings for "that" niche. So it does play a role, just not how 95% of the web think. Most of us here know better. Yes, it does mean little in the scheme of things, but does play a role as the algorithm measuring linking. Makes it a damn site easier to find what G finds as authoritive and what not in a relevant niche. That's handy and time saving.

When you get over PR8, relevant just goes out the door and PageRank then does play a factored role in rankings. When you're getting that high (authoritive) you will rarely see a PR8 site that is directly targeting the same term go over a PR9. It is only in the lower roles where people really get confused about linking to only PR4+ and so forth. If the site is relevant and contains great content, link to it and link from it.

Also, on the note of PR8+ sites, that type of authoritiveness generally is a good indicator that reflects within Yahoo and MSN rankings also. If you can get any PR8 site linking to you, and only you, your site will be improve dramatically within rankings. That is when PageRank has effect as a PR value.

Last edited by Anthony Parsons : 06-17-2004 at 08:17 AM.
Anthony Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #20
webcertain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Parsons

PageRank is the algorithm that "Google" uses to measure the quality of a sites backlinks.
Measure the quality? That's the issue here, what do you mean by quality?
PageRank: PR(A) = (1-d) + d (PR(T1)/C(T1) + ... + PR(Tn)/C(Tn))
I would rather say quantity of vote, for quality, IMO, it's more a question of anchor text, content of the page where the link is..
Cheers,
Johann