Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Member's Lounge > The Padded Room
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2009   #1
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light
How many hours / week do you work (net time)?

Hi,

I've been wondering lately: How many hours do you guys actually spend "working"? And do you have any time, at all during the week to do something such as working out or having a hobby other than SEO?:-)

Or is it not really a problem to you because you can do these kind of things on the weekend, because you're not "exhausted" as people in most jobs are, because you love what you do?
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: How many hours / week do you work (net time)?

Don't go to the gym but try and make a point of going to dinners and socializing away from the keyboard on a regular basis.

Just had this conversation with Cindy Krum about this - and how mobile devices give us some freedom to step away from the 'office'
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #3
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Loving what you do has a lot to do with it for sure! I'd say I work at least 60+ per week if you include everything work related... Living a mile from the office and my office being in the same building as Google never hurts either.

As for working out, I ride my bike 40ish miles a week (to work when weather is nice), walk my greyhound a mile or so a day and our office building also has work out facilities on site... Obviously I don't sleep much!
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #4
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Put me in the at least 60+ ours a week group also. Since I work from home it's sometimes difficult to pull myself away from the keyboard, but in over 25 years of working for myself I've been able to establish at least some sort of routine. The only workout is long walks on nice afternoons and, like AW, getting away for lunch, dinner or after-work cocktails with buddies -- not in the business -- helps me stay a bit grounded in the real world.

The best thing I've found is staying offline as much as possible when vacationing -- that's a real restorative.

That said, it's Sunday afternoon with a couple of playoff games on and I hear there's a Jack and soda down at my local with my name on it.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #5
webprochina

webprochina is on a distinguished road

I spent nearly 10 hours per day online. Most of my online time are used for work. It's great feeling to grow with the market, i never felt exhausted.
webprochina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009   #6
Farhan

Farhan is on a distinguished road

me working 7 days 10 - 12 hrs per day............dont get much exercise...........go for a walk once in two days...........me gaining weight so getting a bit worried abt that..............also does working 10 plus hours on comp has any bad effects on eyes in the long run? any advice guys?
its getting very difficult for me to do anything other than working. donno if its good or bad..........me still in a beginner phase so maybe things will change as i start getting some success. any advice would be appreciated from u seniors.
Farhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009   #7
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

hit the control and plus sign to increase text sizes
Old 01-05-2009   #8
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhan View Post
me working 7 days 10 - 12 hrs per day............
Was there myself in the late 90s!
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #9
Farhan

thanx beu.....so i know now that this is a temperory phase
Old 01-06-2009   #10
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beu View Post
Was there myself in the late 90s!
now he is up to 15 hours a day
Old 01-06-2009   #11
rapidvectorseo

rapidvectorseo will become famous soon enoughrapidvectorseo will become famous soon enough

I love to do seo for 24 hours, because i don't like to work for money, yeah but i love money!!! Usually i spend daily 16 hours a day for online marketing stuffs.
Its my fashion and hobby...
rapidvectorseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #12
Farhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
now he is up to 15 hours a day
lol.......
Old 01-06-2009   #13
Farhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidvectorseo View Post
I love to do seo for 24 hours, because i don't like to work for money, yeah but i love money!!! Usually i spend daily 16 hours a day for online marketing stuffs.
Its my fashion and hobby...
i love it too just concerned abt bad effects on health
Old 01-07-2009   #14
bradbox

bradbox will become famous soon enoughbradbox will become famous soon enough

Probably around 10 hours a day during the week, and a couple over the weekend as well.

Sporadic exercise - i.e. go for an occasional run, play football (that's UK football, not American!) once a week during the Summer.

I have a large family, which pulls me away from work whether I'm busy or not!
bradbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #15
AussieWebmaster

yeah I go hell for leather and then go out for long dinners and drinks with industry mates plus have kids on weekends so they keep me off keyboard

but can go 4 days with 16 hours a day
Old 01-07-2009   #16
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Quote:
but can go 4 days with 16 hours a day
Yeah, folks think you can make an easy, quick buck on the web ;-). I''ve long said that success in this biz is going from those long, long days down to a more comfortable 12 hours or so.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #17
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry that I havent chipped in yet, I'm in the middle of exams and probably exceeding all the hours stated above right now LOL .

@Aussie: So you get your 60+ hours done during 4 days and basically have a 3 day week-end?

I was already wondering if working that much could be a problem for you, because you had mentioned your kids before...but that sounds like a great solution..if you're really passionate about this (and don't consider it pure work), I think it probably isn't that hard to working 4 days non-stop, if you can then take 3 days off and still have a social life.

Is that how you do it or do actually work 5 days, but just trying not to come off as a workaholic so you say it's just four 16 hour days ?
Old 01-07-2009   #18
AussieWebmaster

I do work that way most of the time - but sometimes will lighten a day but do put at least 60 hours in front of the keys - between here - writing - clients - social media stuff - etc etc - and even sneak in 15 minutes here and there when with kids - just in case urgent emails come through - iPhone is good for that
Old 01-12-2009   #19
rapidvectorseo

rapidvectorseo will become famous soon enoughrapidvectorseo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhan View Post
i love it too just concerned abt bad effects on health
yeah dats correct, but what you love the most you won't get the bad effect for the same. BTW, still single and would always try to learn some thing new and implementing, BTW, i am enjoying it.
rapidvectorseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #20
NewKidOnTheBlock

A new question just arose in my head . Say you had another hobby you wanted to spend significant time on every week (say playing basketball or swimming or playing chess....), would it make much of a difference whether you work 50 hours or 60 hours? Do the 10 additional hours (thus 20%) you guys who work around 60 (in comparison to working 50) increase your ROI by more/less/pretty much 20%?

I assume it depends and normally it's not that big a difference ROI-wise whether you work 50-55 or 60-65 (I mean not a difference thats out of proportion), but that maybe certain in-house roles or consulting roles higher up the ladder require to work that amount of time, right?

This must sound like im paranoid about this lol, im really just (too) curious, though