Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2008   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
What was Google's Greatest Achivement of 2008?

Okay am looking for opinions on this one... and debates over them.

What do you think was Google's greatest achievement in 2008 - good or bad.

How their stock price gutted my kids' education fund would be a major bad one!

Interestingly I wrote a review yesterday that seems to have grabbed a few of the top spots for a search for Google 2008 review

am wondering what the above link will do for the search link... anyone care to give a guess! Does Google filter its own search results from the search results?
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #2
rapidvectorseo

rapidvectorseo will become famous soon enoughrapidvectorseo will become famous soon enough
Re: What was Google's Greatest Achivement of 2008?

Frank, i can't say about Google achievement but for you, i can say you did wonderful job by getting top spot for "Google 2008 Review"...
rapidvectorseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #3
BasicECommerce

BasicECommerce will become famous soon enough

I guess it depends on how you look at it. In terms of Google improving the industry, nothing I can speak of as being 'great'. However, in terms of achievements specific for Google, swooping in to muck up any and all Yahoo/MSN talks with very little effort was impressive. They didnt even dirty their hands.
BasicECommerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #4
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of

Not related to search but I think it's pretty cool that they invested in esolar and brightsource. These are startup electric power companies that are using concentrated solar energy instead of coal to run steam turbine generator plants.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #5
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Can't really think of much else. Yeah, the scuttling of the Y!/MSN deal is pretty prominent. In search, probably the more aggressive move to personalization.

But maybe the most notable might be Chrome; the introduction of the long rumored and awaited browser that was long denied being in development and that hasn't exactly taken the world by storm as of yet. I have to wonder what's coming in along behind it.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #6
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

think Chrome rolls into an OS from Google
Old 01-02-2009   #7
rapidvectorseo

rapidvectorseo will become famous soon enoughrapidvectorseo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
think Chrome rolls into an OS from Google
I won't expect more functional qualities from Google OS... They won't make it better than Vista or even XP...
rapidvectorseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #8
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Quote:
OS from Google
Yep, what I had back of mind. And now I just saw Brett's post over at WmW pointing to VentureBeat's Android netbooks on their way, likely by 2010 article.

Quote:
Here’s the significance: Imagine the billion dollar market at stake here if Google can make good on this vision. Netbooks are basically small-scale PCs. For Silicon Valley myriad of software companies, it means a well-backed, open operating system that is open and ripe for exploitation for building upon. Now think of Chrome, Google’s web browser, and the richness it allows developers to build into the browser’s relationship with the desktop — all of this could usher in a new wave of more sophisticated web applications, cheaper and more dynamic to use.
The folks at VB got Android up and running on an Asus EEEPC 1000H netbook in about four hours.
Old 01-02-2009   #9
AussieWebmaster

exactly... and Windows is what it is because it is preloaded... if that changed we would get used to other OS
Old 01-04-2009   #10
bradbox

bradbox will become famous soon enoughbradbox will become famous soon enough

I vote for Chrome as the biggest achievement. It's now my default browser due to speed and uncluttered UI.

The G1 hasn't really taken off here in the UK like the iPhone has, or it would get a close first vote!
bradbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #11
AussieWebmaster

with under 1% not too impressive from a usage standpoint... it is a decent browser but no plugiins like Firefox makes mne stay where I am - so not big success/achievement
Old 01-04-2009   #12
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Google Sites
Website Optimizer
Friend Connect
iPhone Search
Flash support
1 Trillion unique URLs
Fighter Jet
G1
SearchWiki

I'd go with the fighter jet. If the fighter jet wasn't an option, I'd say 1 Trillion URLs indexed.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #13
Farhan

Farhan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
with under 1% not too impressive from a usage standpoint... it is a decent browser but no plugiins like Firefox makes mne stay where I am - so not big success/achievement
i feel the reason is that they arent targetting webmasters
Farhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #14
AussieWebmaster

they lack the plugins of firefox and the pervasive history of IE
Old 01-06-2009   #15
jimbeetle

Quote:
i feel the reason is that they arent targetting webmasters
I think the folks in our industry are basically the only ones aware of it, as reflected in the general adoption numbers.
Old 01-06-2009   #16
Farhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeetle View Post
I think the folks in our industry are basically the only ones aware of it, as reflected in the general adoption numbers.
Old 01-06-2009   #17
AussieWebmaster

he is saying SEOs started splaying with chrome but general public has no idea
Old 01-06-2009   #18
jimbeetle

Thanks for the translation, AW (from Brooklyn to Aussie to English).
Old 01-06-2009   #19
AussieWebmaster

lol... is what I am here for
Old 01-07-2009   #20
Farhan

Quote:
he is saying SEOs started splaying with chrome but general public has no idea
since thats the case, they should provide plugins for us