Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2008   #1
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Attending SES Chicago 2008?

Anyone attending? If so be sure to say hello!
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Attending SES Chicago 2008?

not going gto be there but will arrange a pass
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #3
BasicECommerce

BasicECommerce will become famous soon enough

I would be there if it were not in Q4. Seriously, why was this scheduled during the holiday shopping season when so many people need to be glued to their computers for the holiday traffic/sales?
BasicECommerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #4
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

beu, I'm here! I'll look for you tomorrow. Gotta talk some smack about the Capital One Bowl!
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #5
Wingline

Wingline is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know of Chicago-based search engine Vadlo?
Wingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #6
Doug Heil
The Old Man

Doug Heil is on a distinguished road

Hey Brian; it was good to meet you. Very good session you spoke in.

Melissa; sheesh; why didn't you introduce yourself? I had no clue as to what you look like and didn't know you were there. I met quite a few good people, but I think there were quite a few more I didn't meet.
Doug Heil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #7
Mel66

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

Hi Doug -- I was in the Black Hat White Hat session (very good, btw), but had to run to catch a train immediately afterward so couldn't stick around. I'll catch you next time.

I was one of the ones blogging the session, but haven't posted it yet - will try to do that today.

Doug I never thought I'd see you at an SES, much less on a panel. I am honored to have witnessed the historic moment first hand.
Old 12-15-2008   #8
Doug Heil
The Old Man

Hi Melissa; well shoot then. The SES conference has changed a bunch over the last two years as you may know. ..for the much better. That Naylor character stole the panel though. LOL If next time, I want my own damn mic. I wrote up something about the experience. I hope the link is allowed.
http://www.ihelpyou.com/forums/showthread.php?p=284924

You can de-link it if necessary.

Gosh; I hope to meet you some other time.
Old 12-15-2008   #9
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Has there been a warp in the time-space continuum? Did something shift while I wasn't looking? Doug Heil outs oilman as a white hat, rubs elbows with the notorious DaveN, even shares a microphone, and apparently understood him enough to call him a "teddybear." There's no fun in that.

I want my old world back. Who took it?
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #10
Doug Heil
The Old Man

lol Jim.

Actually; Todd (oilman) has been a whitehat for a very long time. I simply confirmed my own thoughts last week about it. Yes; he buys links, but buys them for large .com's with lots of quality incoming links. That's a big difference from the small to medium who are buying those links. If Todd buys 5 links for someone like amazon.com, I call that buying paid advertising. NO risk at all.

If Todd is detecting if flash is installed on a browser, and sending the requester to a page with flash or without flash....it's NOT cloaking and NOT spam as long as the bot and browsers without flash are seeing the same stuff as in the flash. It's a form of content delivery. He now understands where I'm coming from when I say all cloaking is spam. My definition is very specific as to what cloaking is.

Naylor? He will be a whitehat in due time. He's not much a blackhat anyhoo.

btw; I'm damn upset for not meeting Melissa. I'm also upset with Michael Gray as well.

Last edited by Doug Heil : 12-15-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2008   #11
seomike
Md_Rewrite Guru

seomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Heil View Post
lol Jim.

Actually; Todd (oilman) has been a whitehat for a very long time. I simply confirmed my own thoughts last week about it. Yes; he buys links, but buys them for large .com's with lots of quality incoming links. That's a big difference from the small to medium who are buying those links. If Todd buys 5 links for someone like amazon.com, I call that buying paid advertising. NO risk at all.

If Todd is detecting if flash is installed on a browser, and sending the requester to a page with flash or without flash....it's NOT cloaking and NOT spam as long as the bot and browsers without flash are seeing the same stuff as in the flash. It's a form of content delivery. He now understands where I'm coming from when I say all cloaking is spam. My definition is very specific as to what cloaking is.

Naylor? He will be a whitehat in due time. He's not much a blackhat anyhoo.

btw; I'm damn upset for not meeting Melissa. I'm also upset with Michael Gray as well.
If ya can't beat'em embrace'em eh doug?
seomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #12
Doug Heil
The Old Man

If ya can't beat who Mike?

I think I'm trying to contribute in here.
Old 12-16-2008   #13
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel66 View Post
beu, I'm here! I'll look for you tomorrow. Gotta talk some smack about the Capital One Bowl!
Oh geeeez, sorry I missed ya but really enjoyed SES Chicago as well as all the great folks there...
Old 12-16-2008   #14
beu

Quote:
Hey Brian; it was good to meet you. Very good session you spoke in.
Thanks Doug, nice to meet you too!
Old 12-16-2008   #15
Mel66

Quote:
I'm damn upset for not meeting Melissa.
Aww!! I should have looked for you sooner, Doug. I'll have to catch you at the next show - you are going to become a regular, aren't you?
Old 12-17-2008   #16
Doug Heil
The Old Man

Yes; I hope we can meet. And yes, I hope so.. at least the US shows.
Old 12-30-2008   #17
Doug Heil
The Old Man

Hey beu (Brian); I think you should be on a link building panel at the next conference so you can "make public" the link opportunities that many SEO types seem to think are big secrets and should never be made public. LOL

My goodness; the lack of common sense in this industry doesn't seem to go away, does it? For the record; I agree with one member in that sphinn thread who said he liked your post as it gave him other ideas about gaining good links. Anyone with a clue knows that just because a link does not have nofollow with it doesn't mean that link means a darn thing anyway. Also; anyone with a clue knows that quality engines like Google already knows what links are nofollowed or not. Duh?

You know; I'm known for bashing out there, etc, but I'm no where close to people out there who are flat-out rude and crude, and have no clue as well.

..just saying.
Old 12-30-2008   #18
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

there really are few link building methods Google is not aware of.... some they don't mind and some they can't find and some they find not worth building a way to find in a bulk way
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #19
Doug Heil
The Old Man

I totally agree.

Question; this refers to that other place I mentioned above; what's a rockstar anyway? lol It seems to me it's one who runs their mouth the most and the loudest, and who gets many other sheep to follow them no matter what they write.

Is anyone else getting really fed up with the industry like I am, or is just me? Does anyone else believe as I do that this industry DOES need some kind of standards and rules? .. sorry, that's off-topic I know. I probably should stop reading at that place.

Brian; It seems that many don't know you over there. Surprising? Oh yeah. You aren't with the "in" people there I guess.