Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008   #1
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of
Matt Cutts stating that TrustRank is Google's secret

That's supposedly the title of a page on google.com. Kind of intriguing, huh?

I was doing some searching today and this number 1 result caught my eye:

Matt Cutts stating that TrustRank is Google's secret
http://www.google.com/newsletter/lib.../article3.html - Similar pages

Hmmm, have to click through to that page. But wait, what's this? That's not the page I expected. And there's no mention of TrustRank anywhere on the page where I wound up.

So what's going on here? Of course, a 301 redirect. No cache so it's off to archive.org to only to find that the original page had been blocked in robots.txt. Oh well, back to the SERPs. And now I see that the page I just inadvertently visited is also listed:

Google Librarian Central - Newsletter 01/2006
In the debut issue of the Google Librarian newsletter, we published an article by quality engineer Matt Cutts explaining how Google collects and ranks ...
http://www.google.com/librariancente...tter/0601.html - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

There are a couple of interesting things here:

--What did Matt say about TrustRank on the original, now not available page?
--It's a great example of how to get the number 1 and 4 spots in the SERPs by only using one page.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Matt Cutts stating that TrustRank is Google's secret

interesting... I am working on an article for my column this Friday in this area... thanks for the insight.... gave me some other things to look at... had not done a Library search until I saw this,
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote