Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Member's Lounge > The Padded Room
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2004   #1
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
The locations/ times for SES: How are they chosen

The times of the year for SES seem...backwards.

I mean, you have SES in Chicago, New York and Sweden -- particularly cold regions of the world -- during the particularly cold times of the year. I'd love to go to SES Sweden...but not *now* when I'd freeze my rear off.

And Chicago in December. Ice, Wind, WET, cold. I am just thinking about it and I have a drip on the end of my nose.

I mean, I'd think you'd want to have SES in Sweden in ... June...and SES Chicago in April and SES New York in September. Then, you could have San Jose SES in ... January.

So Danny...how did you decide on the times of year? I've always wondered this.
grnidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #2
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Yes, I've suggested trying to rework the US shows at least to put events in more season-friendly order. However, Jupiter's wanted to stick with what's been done because it has worked and because it feels people have gotten use to certain events being in certain places at certain times.

As for how we ended up this way, the first SES show was in San Francisco in November 1999. A NY show followed in March 2000, London in June 2000 I think, then back to SF in August, then Dallas in November of that year. I honestly can't recall why SF didn't happen again in November, rather than being moved up.

I'd certainly prefer to see things be more weather friendly, but we've actually been very, very lucky with things. Boston 2002, we had snow fall on the last day. But all other shows during that time have been great -- sometimes, in fact, spectucular weather. Just got back from Sweden, and it was pretty comfortable.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #3
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysullivan
Boston 2002, we had snow fall on the last day.
those were some super duper snowy icey type roads.
Old 11-02-2004   #4
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
hey i liked sweden to.... Danny "Just got back from Sweden, and it was pretty comfortable"

hahaha yer like you and Thomas Korte did not moan all the way to the Dinner

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #5
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Hey, that was Thomas moaning, not me At night, yeah -- definitely made sense to have a sweater and a decent coat. Thomas had only that think jacket!
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #6
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
I would imagine the cheaper off-season prices for hotels and stuff might have something to do with it also?
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote