Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Other Search Engines & Directories > Open Directory Project
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2008   #1
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
DMOZ removed from Google Webmaster Guidelines

Google Webmaster Guidelines was updated today and "directory submission" is no longer included!

Here is what was removed:
"Submit your site to relevant directories such as the Open Directory Project and Yahoo!, as well as to other industry-specific expert sites.

beussery.com/blog/index.php/2008/10/google-no-longer-suggests-directory-submission/
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #2
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of
Re: DMOZ removed from Google Webmaster Guidelines

Wow, great find. Don't know what the thinking behind it is, but a bit of a tectonic shift (well, maybe just a slight shudder).
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #3
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Thanks man, could be a big shift or an accidental omission! Either way, I thought it was interesting... We'll see!
Old 10-03-2008   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Nice catch mate... did blog entry and sphunn it
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #5
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

though the removal of having other valued sites linked to you was also deleted some maybe they are just down playing link promotion given the constant filtering of where they come from
Old 10-03-2008   #6
SEM&YellowPageGuru
New Business Strategist -SEM, SEO, IYP, and Print YP

SEM&YellowPageGuru is on a distinguished road

Interesting... I wonder if this is Google's way of saying that link popularity is less an important focus? Although DMOZ no longer seems to have significant page rank with Google, and hasnt for sometime, I wonder if Google is now saying that directory "submissions" are moot. I have always believed that local directory sites like superpages.com, local.com, citysearch.com, yellowpages.com have more weight for local businesses.... other directories like Wiki.com etc also bear the same value.
SEM&YellowPageGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #7
MissOpie

MissOpie is on a distinguished road

Well if it did mean that links become less important, then it would also mean that focus had shifted elsewhere to "compensate" for want of a better word.
MissOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #8
AussieWebmaster

I just think they don't want to promote link building - say nothing and lower expectations... they are based on links so will never fully drop
Old 10-03-2008   #9
MissOpie

MissOpie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
I just think they don't want to promote link building - say nothing and lower expectations... they are based on links so will never fully drop
Agreed. It's just not such a big deal really. When you've based your engine around links, it's a bit hard to move away from that, and you "just" have to work out what a good link is and assign a score, on a very basic level. Unless you have something really really cool to unveil. Then ditch the link strategy and let's see it
MissOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #10
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Here's the Google Groups discussion on the change. Notice also that the "Have other relevant sites link to yours" point has also been removed.

G's John Mueller chimes in on the removal of the directory recommendation:

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily assume that we're devaluing Yahoo's links, I just think it's not one of the things we really need to recommend.
And, on the removal of the "Have other relevant sites link to yours" point, he states:

Quote:
This line was removed because we feel that you should not "force" other sites to link to yours...I don't think we need to make it a part of the guidelines that you should "have other sites link to yours" -- they should be willing to do that on their own, it should be their decision not yours.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #11
beu

Quote:
Thanks man! Google's position seems a little clearer now, thanks to "JohnMu's" post.
Old 10-11-2008   #12
markov

markov is on a distinguished road

Does it mean that Google will have its own directory/
markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #13
beu

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov View Post
Does it mean that Google will have its own directory/
Hey Markov, Google has a directory:
http://www.google.com/dirhp

I think this move is more a way of saying directories may not be as important as they have been in the past.
Old 10-11-2008   #14
markov

markov is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beu View Post
Hey Markov, Google has a directory:
http://www.google.com/dirhp
Agree with it. But Google's directory is a mirror of DMOZ. Isn't it?
markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #15
Rajat Garg
Rajat Garg

Rajat Garg is on a distinguished road

Yes, it is. Google still uses DMOZ, so I am not sure what the discussion is about.
Rajat Garg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #16
fathom

fathom is a jewel in the roughfathom is a jewel in the roughfathom is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Maybe doing a blog entry and posting that any news whether factual or not can be great linkbait!

Sphinn the hype then facts don't matter.

http://forums.seochat.com/showpost.p...06&postcount=8
fathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #17
YellowSEO

YellowSEO is on a distinguished road

Hasn't Relevancy always been the main idea behind search results ?

It's great to see it being carried over to link building.

One question is if the major players for a KeywordX all have links in section themed by niche together the DMOZ would be a relevant themed third party added link...

Relevancy is so keyword, industry and niche specific...
YellowSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #18
beu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathom View Post
Maybe doing a blog entry and posting that any news whether factual or not can be great linkbait!

Sphinn the hype then facts don't matter.

http://forums.seochat.com/showpost.p...06&postcount=8
Thanks for pointing this out Fathom. I hadn't seen the post you mentioned.

In response I'd say that "linkbait" requires a link, whereas I posted a URL and not a link. (I'm not sure how better to illustrate something removed after the fact.)

Fact is, content was removed from Google's list of Google's webmaster guidelines.

Fact is, Google no longer suggests "directory submission" and/or submitting sites to DMOZ or Yahoo's business directory as part of their main Webmaster Guidelines page.

The sentence you mentioned, isn't included in the main version of the page you mentioned
http://64.233.169.104/search?sourcei...answer%3D66356

If you notice, the page you mention is a UK version (hl=en-uk), not the main version and focus of my blog post.

Last edited by beu : 10-26-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2008   #19
beu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathom View Post
Sphinn the hype then facts don't matter.[/url]
Thanks for the tip fathom, I've just blogged about this issue at the following URL:
beussery.com/blog/index.php/2008/10/another-google-directory-submission-update/
Old 10-27-2008   #20
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of

Google consciously removed it and talked about why, so maybe it is a glitch that is still available in the UK version?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote