Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search > AdCenter
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2008   #1
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
adCenter Desktop Beta - Feedback

I've been using the adCenter desktop beta tool for a while now, and it's time to share some feedback - both for everyone here on the forum and, hopefully, for MSN to read and make improvements on the tool.

All in all the tool is a big time saver - helps me update campaigns quickly and easily, and actually has gotten me to include more clients in MSN (adCenterRep, are you listening? ). Yahoo is now the lone major PPC without a desktop editor.

That said, I have a couple of major feature requests:

1. Please, please, please get rid of the "save" requirement in the "manage" section where we make all our updates! I cannot count how many times I've made a bunch of changes, and forgotten to hit "save," only to lose all my work when I navigated away from that screen. UGH! I guess I'm just used to working in Adwords Editor, which doesn't require a Save, but it is cumbersome and unnecessary. adCenter Desktop already has the "revert changes" feature, so there is no need to make us save our work as we go along. Please!

2. Include a "help" section within the tool. We're all new to using this - don't make us guess what "deep copy" and other functions will do, please.

3. Warn users when accounts cannot be downloaded because the user is not logged in with the correct adCenter user name and password. We recently changed our password due to staff turnover, and it took me several tries to figure out why the Desktop tool stopped working. It just wouldn't download changes - there was no message telling me why.

I'm sure I'll have more, but these are the big ones at the moment. I'd love to hear what other users think of the tool.
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #2
adCenterRep

adCenterRep is on a distinguished road
Re: adCenter Desktop Beta - Feedback

Thank you for your feedback!

I can confirm that your requests 1 and 2 are coming in an upcoming release. I’m working to find out the status of #3 and will let you know when I have more information.

adCenterRep
adCenterRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #3
blumatrix

blumatrix is on a distinguished road

adCenterRep,

can you give me some pointers on how to get the desktop beta? i've been a part of the invite for a while, but the app never shows up on the list of apps.
blumatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #4
Mel66

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by adCenterRep View Post
Thank you for your feedback!

I can confirm that your requests 1 and 2 are coming in an upcoming release. I’m working to find out the status of #3 and will let you know when I have more information.

adCenterRep
Thanks, adCenterRep! Glad to hear those features are coming soon.

I have 2 more requests (told ya I'd have more!).

1. Enable us to change the status of an ad group from "draft" to "active" within Desktop. If there is a way to do this, I couldn't find it - I had to log in to adCenter to activate my draft ad groups - a major pain!

2. Allow mass edits/deletions of {param1} keyword destination URLs. Again, I couldn't figure out how to do this in Desktop - I tried selecting all the keywords and deleting the param1, but it wouldn't save and kept reverting. I ended up going to adCenter, exporting the entire ad group to Excel, editing, and re-uploading - a much more time-consuming process.
Old 09-12-2008   #5
mattwhitehead

mattwhitehead is on a distinguished road
Lots of Adcenter Desktop Feedback

Hi

Below is a load of feedback which I have sent to our MSN rep. We'll sonn find out if any changes are made on the next release. Apologies if I repeat anything that has already been said.

Major

-Initial download of creative’s and keywords a long time, minimum 90 minutes

-To see a newly added account, the rest of the accounts must also be downloaded, see above

-When downloading recent changes, you have to get them for all accounts, which is time consuming & also not necessary as you only want the account you’re working on at the time & any other accounts will probably have changed again before you want to work on those (which means you then have to download all accounts again just to be on the safe side)

-Draft/submit process is confusing, difficult to gauge what status is

-A user must sync the application with the back end system before uploading any changes in a new user session

-The save function should only be needed if changes are not uploaded in the same session

-Can only amend language and market targeting at adgroup level and when you do, each adgroup has to be amended individually, including saving each adgroup upon changing its language and market targeting

-Campaign column needed in ‘Keywords’ tab

-Currency displayed as USD in some views, whilst displayed as ‘UK Pound’ in campaign view

-No notification at adgroup level if changes have been made to keywords or adverts. Changes not visible in tree view either

-Not able to upload ads/keywords to different campaigns/ ad groups all at once. All additions need to be made to each ad group individually

-No progress bar i.e. percentage complete when uploading changes

-Option to choose custom time periods for click data

-No spell check tool when creating ad copy

-No way of uploading changes to individual accounts, only uploads every change made to all accounts

-Needs an option to find duplicate keywords in an account, not just after upload/submitting

Lesser

-No indication that click stats have been updated

-No way of totalling the number of clicks or costs for an account

-Editorial checks don’t highlight some reasons for rejection

-More options needed on right- click

-Keyword Tool should pre-fill the ‘Copy To’ fields to the current campaign/adgroup in use

-As above for ‘Create Keyword Tool’

Major Recommendation

Don’t allow campaigns and adgroups to be uploaded without ads and keywords present. Currently, if keywords or ads error during upload (causing them not be uploaded), the parent adgroup still gets posted which causes a lot of problems. These problems vary and I’m not sure how to overcome these problems as I haven’t actually found a solution.
mattwhitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #6
tummblr

tummblr will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: adCenter Desktop Beta - Feedback

I'm very excited about adCenter Desktop! Way to leapfrog Yahoo Search Marketing. However, I find that adCenter Desktop has several significant flaws that prevent me from using it to replace spreadsheet updating.

- I cannot search for more than one keyword at a time. As far as I can tell, adCenter Desktop only allows searching for one keyword at a time. I need to routinely perform bulk searches of a few hundred keywords at a time. See AdWords Editor for how they implement bulk searching in their Advanced Search.

- I cannot specify if I am searching for keywords that match my search string exactly, or keywords that contain my string, or keywords that contain my string as a full word. See AdWords Editor's Advanced Search.

- adCenter Desktop fails when trying to download a large account with tens of thousands of adgroups and a hundred thousand keywords. A desktop editor is especially useful for advertisers with large accounts, so it's disappointing that it can only handle relatively small accounts.

While not showstoppers, it would be great if adCenter Desktop would support these features:

- Find duplicate keywords and allow easy de-duplication (select highest/lowest clicks/imps/avgpos/CTR/avgCPC, etc.). See AdWords Editor.

- Search based on criteria like clicks, impressions, cost, CTR, avgpos, avgCPC etc. Again, see AWE.
tummblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #7
Mel66

Love it - great feedback all!
Old 09-15-2008   #8
gamalpower493

gamalpower493 is on a distinguished road

goooooooooooooooooooooood
gamalpower493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #9
polarcherry

polarcherry is on a distinguished road

please have a pause feature on the ad - currently its a delete only or live.

also payment methods need to be addressed. My company has no capped monthly budget as long as I keep within my set CPA's per conversion but often my invoices run out and I don't realise until a few days later - which then means i've missed out on traffic, you've lost £££ from me and I have to mess around with faxing invoices to you.

conversion rate % would be ace.

allow me to delete different match types quickly rather than via edit bids.

improve keyword tool

can it run a little more real time? when I make changes it feels like I have to wait a day until I can see how its running. (maybe as im UK based?)

thanks

Last edited by polarcherry : 09-17-2008 at 05:23 AM.
polarcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #10
adCenterRep

All Posters on This Thread:

Thank You All So Very Much.

I have submitted your list of oppurtunities for improvement to our team that works on the development of the adCenter Desktop.

We appreciate you taking the time to submit your ideas/concerns. It is with all of your help that we are able to make changes needed.

Once again Thanks!

adCenterRep
Old 09-24-2008   #11
adCenterRep

All Posters on This Thread:

Thank you everyone for your continued feedback. The Desktop team has looked at your feedback and let me know that the following are coming soon:

• Enable us to change the status of an ad group from "draft" to "active" within Desktop. If there is a way to do this, I couldn't find it - I had to log in to adCenter to activate my draft ad groups - a major pain!

• Find duplicate keywords and allow easy de-duplication (select highest/lowest clicks/imps/avgpos/CTR/avgCPC, etc.). See AdWords Editor.

• Search based on criteria like clicks, impressions, cost, CTR, avgpos, avgCPC etc. Again, see AWE.

• cannot search for more than one keyword at a time. As far as I can tell, adCenter Desktop only allows searching for one keyword at a time. I need to routinely perform bulk searches of a few hundred keywords at a time. See AdWords Editor for how they implement bulk searching in their Advanced Search.
- I cannot specify if I am searching for keywords that match my search string exactly, or keywords that contain my string, or keywords that contain my string as a full word. See AdWords Editor's Advanced Search.

• adCenter Desktop fails when trying to download a large account with tens of thousands of adgroups and a hundred thousand keywords. A desktop editor is especially useful for advertisers with large accounts, so it's disappointing that it can only handle relatively small accounts.

I am awaiting more information on the mass changes to the params within the ACE Desktop and I will post again once I have this.

Thanks for your patience and Have a Great Day!

adcenterRep
Old 09-26-2008   #12
directom

directom is on a distinguished road

@ Mel66 - Great post and discussion starter!

@ adCenterRep - Can we get it just to work with computers regardless of platform? We have a couple of 64 processors that it won't work on. I'd really like to be able to use it.
directom is offline   Reply With Quote