Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2008   #1
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
The End of Inactive Keywords

As posted on the SEW Blog, Google is doing away with the "Inactive for Search" designation. Instead, "First page bid' will replace 'minimum bid' in your account." Apparently they're rolling this out bit by bit - we're not seeing it in any of our client accounts yet. However, this is a very interesting development.

It's somewhat related to the Quality Score goes on Steroids thread, but I thought this was enough of a change to warrant calling out here.

Anybody seeing this in their accounts yet? If so, are you getting any volume on your previously-inactive keywords? Are you paying through the nose, or are CPCs reasonable?
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #2
Baylow

Baylow is on a distinguished road
Re: The End of Inactive Keywords

I'm really not sure what to expect with this. All of the accounts that I manage (by design) have a very large amount of inactive keywords. I'd love to see a large jump in traffic on tail terms (which usually aren't too successful on google), however, my fear is that the front page bid will make it too difficult to compete on head terms.

We'll see.
Baylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

You need to pause or delete them
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #4
Baylow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
You need to pause or delete them
I assume you mean the inactive keywords and in most cases you'd be right. However, when managing the volume of keywords that I am managing it's not as simple as that.
Old 08-26-2008   #5
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

I agree, Baylow. And sometimes, keywords can be inactive even when they're very relevant due to things like trademark restrictions, etc. So, you may not want to delete those, especially in view of this new development.
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #6
Baylow

Indeed Mel.
Old 08-27-2008   #7
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel66 View Post
...Anybody seeing this in their accounts yet? If so, are you getting any volume on your previously-inactive keywords? Are you paying through the nose, or are CPCs reasonable?
Nope, not seeing the new FirstPageBid in any of my accounts yet. But as I said in the "Quality Score to go on Steroids" thread - I have a bad feeling about the impact of this on CPC. My fear is that it will ingite a fight for first page, thus cranking up average CPC. This would be great for Google's revenue, but not so great for advertiser's budgets
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #8
searchengineman

searchengineman will become famous soon enoughsearchengineman will become famous soon enough

I am also very concerned with Googles upcoming Quality Score Improvements

First Page Bid:

First page bid is supposed to be based on the last position bid on the first page. Remember GOOGLE stated the bid price will be based on EXACT settings. The million dollar question is will the last position first page bid be factored using Quality Score Detail x Bid. Or the same minimum bid price for everybody across the board?

This is the first test that should be made when the change happens.

Which means we could be looking at potentially 1-10 tiers minimum. This would be a good thing and prevent a nightmare bid war scenario, from the hoard. If the price is the same across the board hold on to your hats.

Searchengineman
searchengineman is offline   Reply With Quote