Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Other Yahoo! Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which search engine email system do you prefer?
Gmail 9 39.13%
Lycos 0 0%
MyWay 1 4.35%
Yahoo Mail 11 47.83%
None of the Above 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2004   #1
Chris Sherman
Executive Editor, SearchEngineWatch.com

Chris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the rough
Yahoo Upgrades Email In Space & Speed

Comment on or discuss today's SearchDay article: Yahoo Upgrades Email to Compete with Google's Gmail. The article explains how Yahoo has expanded capacity and significantly upgraded the performance of its email system, making it a viable alternative to Google's Gmail service.

If you use one of the email systems in the poll, please vote for the one you think is best.

Last edited by Chris Sherman : 06-15-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Chris Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #2
Chndru
Across the muddle pond

Chndru is on a distinguished road
>>If you use one of the email systems in the poll, please vote for the one you think is best.

Is Hotmail wiped off the poll-plate? Good riddance :-) Gmail by miles.
Chndru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #3
Phoenix

Phoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nice
Yeah I definately like Gmail, the features outweight the Yahoo options hands down in terms of organization, ease of use, labeling, address book autofill options. I am still using Yahoo Mail however and will continue to do so.

I just upgraded last month to a 10mb account for 9.99. A month later just this morning, they give me 2 Gigs! plus no ads, and all the other features. Turned into quite a good deal. I have been having multiple display problems this morning with the new Yahoo mail look and features. Anyone else experiencing issues?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #4
Manpasand

Manpasand is on a distinguished road
Yes, just now i have seen my yahoo mail with upgraded space. i have two yahoo accounts but one account space has been upgrated and one is still 6MB
Manpasand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #5
Icesharp

Thumbs up Why bother?

Why choose when you don't have to?
Thanks to google's shaking of things, yahoo makes a welcome upgrade.
I'll have both, then. Thank you very much.

Nb: Good riddance hotmail (was never hot anyway )!
Old 06-15-2004   #6
Jake

Jake is an unknown quantity at this point
The entire Yahoo! site is running slow today; must be growing pains.

I personally do not use Google and will not use their mail service no matter how much storage space they offer. I have a serious distrust of all who go out of their way to let you know how "good" they are. If they have to tell you, it probably ain't so.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #7
Carlos Chacón

Carlos Chacón is on a distinguished road
Thanks to Yahoo! To upgraded the current email service!
I will probably use both emails accounts, but Yahoo! Still Yahoo!
Carlos Chacón is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #8
prophecy

prophecy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
The entire Yahoo! site is running slow today; must be growing pains.
Actually this is something to do with their DNS provider Akamia
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ed...=Search+N ews
prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #9
prophecy

After todays Yahoo upgrades, I am tempted to ditch my desktop client for Yahoo Mail Plus, but I wonder when Gmail will be able to pick up from outsite pop3 accounts? If they could do that, I would probably use Gmail for it's better features.
Old 06-15-2004   #10
Bernard
www.measuring-up.com

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophecy
After todays Yahoo upgrades, I am tempted to ditch my desktop client for Yahoo Mail Plus, but I wonder when Gmail will be able to pick up from outsite pop3 accounts? If they could do that, I would probably use Gmail for it's better features.
Google reserves the right to cancel GMail accounts and/or service at any time without warning for any reason. I would not leave important info there without local backups. I would also not rely solely on GMail for my cyberspace correspondence.

I don't remember the last time I looked at Yahoo Mail's TOS, but I imagine it has similar verbiage.
Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #11
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Good Interfase + Features + Habbit + Satisfaction = Brand Loyalty

I've been testing Gmail lately and was thrilled about the 1 GB, even though it will take me forever to fill it up. I'm not that worried about the ads because I hardly see any, since most of my emails received are in Spanish and companies have not gotten the idea of contextual marketing in Spanish yet. . . SAD, so sad!

Today, I received 2 GB in my Yahoo! email account which I've had since late 1997. More space and no ads, wow! They've also changed things a bit in terms of design. So far, I love it!

I will keep on testing my Gmail account, but I will most likely continue my loyalty for Yahoo! Mail I've had for almost 7 years now.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #12
megri

megri is on a distinguished road
Yahoo will have definatley edge our Gmail becuase of its long experience in E-Mail and large users
megri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #13
K.S. Katz

K.S. Katz is on a distinguished road
Definitely, my vote goes to Yahoo on mail. I've been a paying customer of Hotmail (for extra space) for a long time and been rather dissatisfied with the whole experience.

However, I'll be out to lunch on Gmail until I have a chance to use it myself.
K.S. Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #14
Alavina
Wise Mouse

Alavina is on a distinguished road
Post Privacy Issues

Have Gmail solved their privacy issues (i.e. can you now delete mail for good)?
Alavina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #15
Chndru
Across the muddle pond

Chndru is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavina
Have Gmail solved their privacy issues (i.e. can you now delete mail for good)?
It has always been that way. It's just that some privacy PR spin on issues. Allow urself for an explanation straight from Google right here:
http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/more.html
Chndru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #16
PixelStreamed
PixelStreamed Networking

PixelStreamed is on a distinguished road
the only reason i still use yahoo mail is because of the portal and the Financial section that come along with my account. i like the ability to customize and keep track of stocks and to look at the latest news in the portal. I really think that Google will be adding these types of features soon to increase its stickiness, at that time i will probably be switching over to Google. It's probably inevitable that Google will be creating it's own portal type section soon.
PixelStreamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #17
prophecy

So I signed up for Yahoo plus and have cancelled after 2 days.

First of all, to send from a different email address, it has to verify it, but the verification page had a javascript error that wouldn't submit the form. Send in support request about it and no response.

Second, I marked at least 1000 messages as spam, but did it pick up a single spam? No. So i waste my day going through spam messages that Thunderbird had no problem filtering.

So now I'm back on Thunderbird, can't wait for gmail to get pop3 access.