Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2008   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
AdWords Quality Score goes on Steroids

In case you've not heard, Google will soon roll out a new QS system. The main change is simple, the QS will be calculated dynamically on the fly for each search. This gives Google far more control over ad delivery, and will (hopefully) result in even more relevent ad matching on the Search Network.

Of course, for the advertiser, it adds yet another level of complexity to the already complex QS calculation, and may make it even harder if not impossible to answer the simple question.. did my ad show?

My Tensor Calculus is a bit rusty, so I can't go into the details of the new QS system, but suffice it to say that if you can solve Einstein's General Relativity Field Equations over lunch then you'll have no problem with the new QS.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #2
SteveLaLonde

SteveLaLonde will become famous soon enough
Re: AdWords Quality Score goes on Steroids

Yes, the new QS sounds confusing to say the least...

Here's my first question though; I get that the new QS is going to be dynamic, or per-query. But how will Google report the keyword Q scores to us advertisers, now that they're dynamic..?

I'm assuming they would have to calculate and report average quality score for each keyword now. "on average, this keyword has a good quality score"...
SteveLaLonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #3
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLaLonde View Post
.... But how will Google report the keyword Q scores to us advertisers, now that they're dynamic..? ...
Not sure. I assume they will continue to show them as they do now, except they will change much more frequently due to the dynamic calculations.

It's also interesting to note that minBid will go and be replaced by FirstPageBid, which of course for many advertisers on many keywords will be *way higher* than the old minBid. This will tend to raise bids across the board.

There's limited real estate on the first page, and it seems like Google has found a better way to monetize it. Translation... on the Search Network I predict we'll see higher prices in general, and in some specific cases we could see much higher prices.

Last edited by abbottsys : 08-23-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-25-2008   #4
searchengineman

searchengineman will become famous soon enoughsearchengineman will become famous soon enough

I had a bad feeling about the weekend 6 hour, update last weekend at Google August 23rd.

Would you be so kind Abbottsys, of forwarding sources and information confirming these changes on ADWORDS. Perhaps best practices for the new reality.

As an aside Yahoo YSM posts minimum bids and maximum bids. This only encourages the hoard to raise bids ridiculously, which this is exactly what is going to happen for a minimum first page bid.

Regarding dynamic quality score. What I find amazing is Google is going to introduce dynamic quality score, yet Google only provides tools that can measure results 3 hours after the fact (Standard Delay). If Quality score is going to become dynamic then we should have tools to accurately measure and report changes.

Add that to my wishlist!. real time results.

Searchengineman
searchengineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #5
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchengineman View Post
....Would you be so kind Abbottsys, of forwarding sources and information confirming these changes on ADWORDS. Perhaps best practices for the new reality.....
Here you go..
http://adwords.blogspot.com/2008/08/...rovements.html

Note that Google refers to these changes as "improvements".
Old 08-28-2008   #6
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottsys View Post
.....It's also interesting to note that minBid will go and be replaced by FirstPageBid, which of course for many advertisers on many keywords will be *way higher* than the old minBid. This will tend to raise bids across the board....
There's something strange about quoting yourself, but in the interest of fairness I just want to point out the other side of the above. It's this..

There are currently many keywords that return an SRP with no ads or only a few ads i.e "empty or partially filled SRPs". The above change, which puts you in the auction for a bid of $0.01, means you'll show up on the first page for $0.01 for these keywords.

If you have keywords that fall into this category then now's the time to get your ad together and set to go at $0.01, before the rush arrives and drives up first page costs.

I actually have several keywords like this, for example, verizon is one of them. However, in general, these keywords tend to be broad single words that probably generate low quality traffic.

Still, it's woth noting the above and checking to see if this applies to your campaigns. I mean, when was the last time you got $0.01 clicks from Google

Last edited by abbottsys : 08-28-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2008   #7
searchengineman

searchengineman will become famous soon enoughsearchengineman will become famous soon enough

I have a similar situation with no competition....

but I got dinged with poor quality score. (High traffic, lousy CTR)
I'm still being charged $6.00, even with no competition in this geo-target for paid ads. I'm skeptical of the 0.01 cent scenario in the future.

Minimum bids are still going to exist, (I did not read that Google is getting rid of them!), even if we can't see the minimum bids anymore.

Will I know if my word is completely inactive, if I violate the poor quality score minimum bid? (Since Google is removing this notice)

The silver lining about all these changes, is now everyone will have to optimize and improve relevancy on landing pages. It's going to be a great time for design firms, and SEO.

Searchengineman
searchengineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #8
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

Quote:
[...] There are currently many keywords that return an SRP with no ads or only a few ads i.e "empty or partially filled SRPs". The above change, which puts you in the auction for a bid of $0.01, means you'll show up on the first page for $0.01 for these keywords.

If you have keywords that fall into this category then now's the time to get your ad together and set to go at $0.01, before the rush arrives and drives up first page costs. [...]
Just to clarify, and as mentioned in the related thread below, this is not actually the case. More discussion here:

AdWords - First Page Goldrush
http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ad.php?t=23650

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote